Royal Phare Hotel Paris?

Feb 3rd, 2001, 12:45 PM
Tony

Royal Phare Hotel Paris?

I booked a reservation in a 2 star hotel - the Royal Phare - 40 Avenue la Motte Picquet in the 7th Arrondissmont, for the end of March for 390 francs per night. The write up on the hotel looked fine but people tell me that the place must be a dump for that price in Paris. Does nayone know this hotel? Please reply to:
[email protected] thanks.

Feb 3rd, 2001, 02:26 PM
Capo

On my second trip to Paris, in 1994, my girlfriend & I stayed at the Royal Phare. While I suppose everyone's version of what a "dump" is, is different, it certainly didn't fit my, or my girlfriend's, definition of a dump. It certainly didn't ooze charm but, for that price, you can't expect everything. The people were friendly, it had a pleasant breakfast area on the reception floor, and the room was nice and clean with a nice, good-sized bathroom. Our room was facing Avenue la Motte Picquet and I don't recall it being that noisy. Bear in mind, of course, this was seven years ago so things may have changed for the worse, or also the better. But I wouldn't agree with the assumption that any hotel for 390 francs/night would be a "dump", but, then again, that depends on what one's standards are. Although the 7th isn't, in my opinion, the most convenient arrondissment in Paris, one very nice thing about the Royal Phare is that it's only about a half-block away from one of the nicest street markets in Paris, the pedestrian street Rue Cler. And you're also only about a half-block from a Metro stop. Hope you have a great time!

Feb 3rd, 2001, 03:08 PM
s.fowler

I've stayed just down the street at Hotel de la Motte-Picquet and I'm blanking on Royal-Phare. From the description on hotelboulevard.com I must have walked by it over and over again... and we *were* looking for other possible hotels. The comments about the hotel on hotelboulevard.com aren't that great either.

If you can afford a few francs [and I mean a *few*] more I would recommend Hotel de la Motte-Picquet instead. We'll be there mid-March ourselves. Here's their website: http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h7...tepicquet2.htm
They are very good at answering faxes and they have a form in English that they use. It's right on the corner of Rue Cler btw.

Feb 3rd, 2001, 06:10 PM
Melissa

I second Capo's message. I stayed at the Royal Phare about 3 years ago, and loved it because 1) it was CHEAP! 2) the location to the metro, the Eiffel Tower, the rue Cler, etc couldn't be beat, and 3) the owner was a very kind French man, and Kamel, the front desk guy, was a hoot.

I have recommended this place to my friends looking for cheap sleeps in Paris, and they all liked it. (Okay, it's not the Hilton, but are you really going to spend all your time in the room?)

HOWEVER, last year my sister returned there and was dismayed to find it has new owners. The staff was indifferent, making the service bad--which really, really makes a difference, as far as I'm concerned.

If you end up staying there, please post a follow-up message. I'm curious to see how other people feel about it in recent trips.

Feb 3rd, 2001, 08:20 PM
Gigi

Hello,
We stayed at the Royal Phare in France 3 years ago and found it to be fine. My experience was the same as Capo's and Melissa'a. I plan to return to this hotel this October.

Feb 3rd, 2001, 08:28 PM
CJ

We stayed at the Royal Phare this past summer. I liked it for its central location and the fact that the metro stop is right in front! Plus, has a grocery just a couple of doors down, and some good restaurants within walking distance, too. Hotel was clean but not fancy. Our room for 3 had a double bed and a foldout chair for the third bed, and this took up 90% of the floor area! But it was a great deal, and I would stay there again.

Feb 3rd, 2001, 10:22 PM
Burta

I'm Melissa's sister and I stayed there with her four years ago and then last spring with my mother and niece. I stayed there the second time specifically because the location was so good, right above the entrance to the Ecole Militaire metro station. The price was right both times, but the service and accommodations have really gone downhill since the new owners took over. I would not stay there again. If you stayed there before and liked it, you can't imagine how bad things have gotten.

For a few dollars more, I stayed at the Best Western Residence Trocodero two months ago. The service was much better, the rooms were clean, and the location was equally good -- across the street from the Trocodero metro stop. The place was surrounded by restaurants and we got to see the Eiffel Tower from our window. Much, much better. Check it out and see if any deals are available at the time you're going to be there.

Feb 4th, 2001, 05:33 AM
s.fowler

Folks -- may I repoint you to my post concerning Hotel La MOtte-Piquet above. It is every bit as convenient as Royal-Phare. It apparently has more charm and [I just checked]the prices are essentially identical. Mmme. Ireland runs the place well. I've also heard that there has been a recent renovation of the rooms as well as an enlargement of the reception area breakfast room. [Rick Steves gives is a good writeup in his Paris 2201 also] La Motte-Piquet doesn't fill as fast as places like Hotel Champs de Mar, but the value and a modicum of charm are there. Why would you stay at the Royal Phare as you have been describing it when for the same amount of $$$ and the same convenience you could stay at someplace that is more attractive, better run and recommended by someone who has stayed there.

Feb 4th, 2001, 05:45 AM
Sharon

I would rather hear from a person who has been at both of these hotels. Why should we take Ms. Fowler's word over the advice of these several people?
I think too many people on this board seem to think they are the Travel Gods. Why shouldn't we give as much attention and respect to Capo's reply as to Ms. Fowler's?
How about a little respect for others opinions?