Royal Eagle vs. Phoenix hotels in London

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 12:03 PM
Kaneohe

Royal Eagle vs. Phoenix hotels in London

I will be in London March 11-18 and am considering both of these hotels. If you've stayed at either one of these, please tell me about your impression.

The Royal Eagle is on Craven Road---is this a busy street? Quiet or noisy? Good pubs nearby?

The Phoenix is on Kensington Gardens Square---noisy or quiet?

Thanks in advance

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 07:50 PM
me

Anyone?

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 12:30 AM
Florence

Bonjour Kaneohe,

I was at the Phoenix last summer, it was very quiet at night, well located for shopping, food (lots of Chinese, Indian, and Japanese restaurants around), transportation to the center of London, and a short walk from Kensington Gardens/Hyde Park.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 06:27 AM
Terry

I stayed one night at the Royal Eagle on Craven Rd., June 2002. My impressions were not favorable. Stayed in a single. Extremely tiny room. Toilet did not flush. Elevator broke down. Windows were not double paned. Although traffic did quiet down during the night, I was awakened by loud (drunk) foot traffic walking by. Mattress was broken down.

The nearest pub I found was Pride of Paddington, across the street from Paddington Station. Food was ok, but I couldn't handle the smoke. Wanted to take my food back to my room, but they did not have any way to package it, for take-away (take-out).

I think there are probably better options in this area.

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 08:43 AM
Kaneohe

Thanks for the replies. I found a pretty good deal offered through British Airways for both of these hotels and have had a difficult time assessing their quality.

Anyone else?