Reload this Page >

Route of La Merce festival, Barcelona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 10:34 AM
oaklandlady

In September 2007, my husband and I and another couple will be visiting Barcelona specifically to enjoy the Festa La Merce. We will rent an apartment, and were hoping to find one on the parade route for the Correfoc, when the dragons and devils come out, so when we were tired of the crowds, we could watch from the balcony. Does anyone know of a link in English for this, or have any suggestions?

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no idea about information in English about renting, but here is festival information:
http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.c...-la-merce.html

If I were in your place, I would find out the details of when and where for the Correfoc 2007, then contact a rental agency and specify a street or plaza where you would like to stay.

I don't know how long you are wanting to rent, but the Correfoc is about 2 hours long total, and getting an apartment downtown means that you will be dealing with the rest of the festival 24/7. That can get really loud.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 09:42 AM

We attended that parade last year and I remember it came down the street that's right beside the main post office. I <i>think&lt;i/&gt; the street is Via Laietana, but you should double check that.</i>
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 09:54 AM

Pavfec, you're right, it's Via Laeitana, and I watched it there in 2003, so it's probably on the route every year.

But as laclaire mentioned: I wouldn't want to stay on one of the main streets during the Merce or there will be noise all the time!

I don't recall it being extremely crowded on the sidewalks, but then again, the weather wasn't great, so maybe that was the reason.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:22 AM
oaklandlady

Thanks for the suggestions. We were in Barcelona for La Merce in 2004 and enjoyed marching in the Correfoc. We had a flat near Placa Jaume on Princesa, near the Picasso museum. I think part of the fun of being in Barcelona at that time is the noise, actually. We'd rent the same place again, but need 2 BR and baths. I found a building with flats from Friendly Rentals on Via Laietana, they say their windows are sound proof. We were amazed to see the dragons emerge from the City Hall, of all places. We loved El Born, didn't like Las Ramblas at all; tacky and touristy.

Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:09 PM

Although I really enjoyed the parade, I remember how smoky it was from all the fireworks. All that smoke must rise, so if you're staying in an apartment on an upper floor, the smoke's going to come inside (or you're going to be watching with the windows closed).
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 02:58 PM
oaklandlady

Thanks, Pavfec--Good point!

Old Dec 11th, 2006, 03:28 PM

Does anyone know the specific dates for the festival in 2007?
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 01:33 PM

2007 dates are Sept 22-24 I believe. We will be there Sept. 23-25.

Does anyone have a link to the schedule of events this year?

Thanks!
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 04:28 PM

http://www.bcn.cat/merce/_/

I don't think they've posted the details for 2007 yet. I actually emailed the tourist office and they indicated the actual day was Sept 24th but there are festivals for a few days before leading to the final day.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 06:02 AM

Thanks. I found that site, but it has no information for this year. One site said details would be posted 1 week before. Not to helpful for tourists!
I did find a schedule for last year and the activites lasted for several days. They are listed on this site:
http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.c...mber-2006.html
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 06:09 AM

You know, it's not meant for tourists Anyway, you know that on the days inmediately before and after the 24th it's sure you will find something running. It's a local festivity, very local, not the kind of festival other spaniards(and tourist) go to see it like Fallas or San Fermin.
Old Aug 6th, 2007, 09:36 AM

In my opinion, the local festivals are the best!

I was in Barcelona in 2001 during La Merce. These were special information booths set up on the Ramblas with detailed programs. It may be a local festival but since Barcelona is such a visited city, it was definately crowded at that time.

My most memorable highlights have been going to local festivities in little cities like Olite, Tui, Tordesillas. Last year I visited Tordesillas at the time of their medieval fair. It was coincidental and ironic as I usually search out for local festivals as I'm planning my trips. There were no tour groups, it was mainly people from Tordesillas and the nearby villages.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 12:12 PM

I also love local festivals! Actually, I thought all the festivals were for the locals

Thanks so much for the info on the information booths set up on La Rambla. That's a great help.

We'll be missing the activites on the night of Sept. 23 since we hope to get tickets to the Barcelona - Seville game that evening.

Many of the museums have free admission on September 24!!
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 01:04 PM

yes, images , they all are meant for the locals ! I meant some of them have gone so big and internationally famous that are always crowded, announce their events program earlier, you can book rooms in hotels one year for the next..let's say they think a bit more on tourists