Route 66

Old May 29th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Route 66

We're planning to explore old Route 66 this summer. We'll apprieciate any tips on what we should look for, the most interesting towns and by-ways, sites, etc. that anyone may have.
Old May 29th, 2007, 11:33 AM

Route 66 starts out in St Petersburg then goes over to Berlin before heading to hamburg and turning south to Paris, then goes to Switzerland and down to the boot of Italy where it ends.

Obviously there are many interesting towns along it as noted.
Old May 29th, 2007, 11:37 AM

Like Kingman and Barstow?
Old May 29th, 2007, 11:51 AM

Well, we know surprisingly little about the history of the A66.

It never seemed to get a name: it was just the road from York to Brougham, built probably in the first century AD. Some experts think it's the road menioned in the Antonine Itinerary - the Imperial route book that tells you how to ride from Mauretania to the border with the Pictish barbarians.

So PalQ's not quite right: if you were following the Itinerary, you'd turn right at Lutetia, carry on past Lugdunum, go through Gallia Narbonensis and cross Iberia till you came to the Pillars of Hercules. Pretty much the route in reverse that the Dewhirst lories take today, bringing shirts back from their Moroccan factories.

But, south of Scotch Corner, it's called the A1. Scotch Corner itself is a dump: two transport cafes and not very much else. And although the first few miles follow the Roman route, you'd never guess it.

The scenery's lovely all the way, but Brough Castle is about the only really interesting thing along the way to Penrith apart from the scenery.

After Penrith it goes on to Workington, which is pretty missable really.

That's the historic Route 66. You weren't by any chance talking about one of those new-fangled Route 66s they build in the colonies, were you? Because they're not real roads, you know. Just stunts to publicise Rolling Stones records.
Old May 29th, 2007, 12:12 PM

<You weren't by any chance talking about one of those new-fangled Route 66s they build in the colonies, were you? Because they're not real roads, you know. Just stunts to publicise Rolling Stones records>

even the UK does this - ABBEY ROAD???

or LONG WINDING ('Windy') ROAD that route you so aptly describe - almost as if you had gone to public school.
Old May 29th, 2007, 12:12 PM

How do you sa, "Needles..the oldest city on the desert" in Italian?
Old May 29th, 2007, 12:15 PM

"Needlessi, la oldesti citta ona la desserta"
Old May 29th, 2007, 01:37 PM

When did The Rolling Stones bring Abbey Road out?

And the A66 isn't long and winding. It's Roman, so it's amazingly straight - by English standards - for all its short length.

But what is this public school fetish all about? I got a proper education, next door to Strawberry Field.
Old May 29th, 2007, 01:48 PM

So you would know Madeira is in Spain?
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who responded to my Rt. 66 question----I learned a few things---and had a few chuckles! I obviously forgot to change forums when I posted that question! I did mean US 66 (that's United States----I think it's been a while since we were known as "the Colonies!"
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 11:29 PM

Not round here it hasn't.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 11:43 PM

A couple of centuries is no more then a nap to Rip Van Winkle.

thereyet
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 11:50 PM

Y'all were good for a laugh.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 07:00 AM

<I did mean US 66 (that's United States----I think it's been a while since we were known as "the Colonies!

Author: flanneruk

Not round here it hasn't.>

Even though your colonies term drips with sarcasm the feeling is quite and rightly the otherway around now.

The tail now wags the dog (and Blair as well it seems) - Americans mostly consider Britains, or English as most would call them to be our colony, subservient to our every call and beckoning. Hope Gordon Brown continues to be our lapdog.

Tail wagging the dog - yes.

Old Jun 8th, 2007, 10:10 AM

Suggest you pick up a good book on Route 66 - there are many. There has been a revival in some towns along the route over the last 20 years to commemorate and celebrate that roads history. Lots of Kitsch/50's stuff - fun, but gets tiresome. The old motels still in existence in those places are either abandoned, torn down, or haven't been refurbished since 1960 so I would avoid staying in those places. But it goes through beautiful country - that is definitely a route I would camp along - either in a pop-top camper or motorhome.
I am most familiar with the AZ/CA portion and in many places the road still exists.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 10:18 AM
MD

I think the A66 is scenic, but not very drivable. Since the slaves were murdered by Vikings, nobody's been filling in potholes or replacing the paving slabs stolen by local farmers for fencing material or foundation stones.

Every so often an oak tree growing out of one of the potholes falls down (from old age) and creates a blockage for a hundred feet or more.

The signage is very out of date. Some of those towns don't exist any more, and the stones are so weathered you can hardly read them.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 10:22 AM

I moved to Texas from the St. Louis area in 1981 and make the drive between the two places every few years. When I first started making the drive, the part of the interstate in Missouri that was old Route 66 was dotted with the old motor courtswith their terrific signs (most closed). The last time I made the drive, I couldn't find any of them. I know you can't tell someone not to develop their property so folks can look at the cool signs as they drive by, but it really is a shame to see them all go.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 10:30 AM

Yeah, most of those motels are long gone and the signs advertising them were there until a few years ago. The Tee Pee motel in Fontana or Rialto ?(60 miles east of LA) I think is still there. Never stayed there since I am from that area. That area is all heavily developed now and it is easy to miss it as you drive by.
In my youth I remember riding in our family car and making a game out of watching for the next set of Burma Shave signs.
Was it US 50 or Route 66 (or both?) that went through Flagstaff and Williams AZ? Williams is still in pretty good shape as I recall going through there 6 or 8 years ago. From there to Kingman AZ used to be some really interesting sections of the highway.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 11:01 AM

One year we vacationed in Arizona...based in Flagstaff. We passed the old tee-pee motel on Route 66 and stopped to look around. They were cleaning the rooms so the doors were open to some of the units. We were allowed to look around. Quite cool!
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 11:50 AM

Route 66 goes through Williams. We stayed there when we drove the Mother Road in March 2002. It was the only place along the whole route whre we heard the song - Nat King Cole's version I believe. I really liked WIlliams. Didn't take the train to GC though - way too expensive. The Wigwam (teepee) Motel at Holbrook is still there and still open, with the same family running it.