Reload this Page >

Roussillon "Must See" Day Trips

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2001, 01:34 PM
Patty & Cal

We will be in Roussillon for a week in mid October. We seek your favorite day trip suggestions! Also, should we fly from the states into Barcelona or Niece for the best rates?

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 02:39 AM
PB

The region or the town ? <BR> <BR>Check with individual airlines to find the best fares... Delta flies into Nice direct from the US. <BR>PB

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 02:08 PM
Cal

Thanks, P.B. <BR> <BR>Our timeshare book says the Malibu Village address is as follows: <BR>141 Av. Des Hauts De Canet, 66140 <BR>and then lists: Canet En Roussillon <BR> <BR>Looking at their map, it appears to be <BR>near the coast and about 9 miles from Perpignan...Hope this helps and I await your answer...It appears to me that the nearest international <BR>airport would be in Barcelona, Spain.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 03:19 AM
Elias

I am flying into Nice in June, staying in Provence, and then hugging the coast until Roussillon. The village of Ceret has a wonderful hotel and a musee d'art moderne. Visit Collioure et Perpignan...follow the cote Vermillon to the border of Spain. Stop and see Cadaques on the way to Barcelona.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 04:22 PM
StCirq

Actually, I think the nearest international airport might be Toulouse, though I'm not within reach of an atlas at the moment. At any rate, it would be FASTER to get to Toulouse than to Barcelona in all probability, even if there is only a small difference in the distance. <BR>Day trips would certainly include Carcassonne, perhaps Cordes-sur-Ciel, Collioure (which in October should be absolutely divinely free of tourists), Montpellier, Banyuls (for the wine), and on the Costa Brava the towns of Llanca, Las Rosas, and Cadaques (which btw Elias is not THAT great - I was less than impressed when I first visited, after reading the guidebooks. Struck me as the kind of place Rick Steves would ooh and aah about because it was cheap, but we didn't think there was anything particularly special about it.)

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 12:37 PM
Elias

StCirq, <BR>You are one up on me, as this is my first time visiting the Costa Brava. I'll report on my reaction to Cadaques. <BR>As for Roussillon, I think I would concentrate on the area surrounding your base. The wonderful thing about Languedoc-Roussillon, there is a wealth of sites, towns, cities and cpuntryside <BR>to explore. If, indeed, you are staying along the coast near Perpignan. I do recommend Coilloure,Ceret, Arles-sur-ciel, Prades, La Cote Vermillon and Prades. If you are driving form Montpellier, stop and see the stunning (thanks PB for taking me here)Abbayr Fontfroide near Narbonne..on the fringes of Cathar country. <BR>