Reload this Page >

Munich, Tirol and/or Bavaria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 12:01 PM
Jeff

Looking at possibly going to Munich in the Fall for about a week. I have tried to search this board, read travel guides and watched 2 videos on Munich. In short, it appears that there is a ton to do in or around Munich (and Austria). If any of you have itineraries and/or trip reports you are willing to share from the areas referenced, please post or email them to me. We are looking at a nice mix of urban sights (such as Munich's museums or maybe Salzberg/Innsbruck), quaint towns w/scenery, and castles. Thanks.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 12:23 PM
jeff

Please understand, I'm not necessarily looking for info about attractions (though that is welcome), I am trying to learn from your experiences handling the logistics in covering some of the areas reasonably near Munich. thx.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 02:48 PM
Lynn

Jeff, <BR>We spent 3 weeks in Southern Germany and Austria. We rented a car from Munich and drove all around the south, then took a train to Salzburg. Since you will be in Munich for a week, I suggest you drive or train down to the Garmisch-Partenkitchen area (about 90 min. away)and spend a night there, basing yourself in that area. Garmisch is at the base of a mountain and is a lovely quaint small town. You don't need to make reservations in advance. Just drive around and find a B&B. They are all well-maintained and clean. We stayed in Garmisch for $65/night at Gasthaus Inge Hofherr. You can go to the Neuschwanstein castle and the Linderhoff castle, both of which are incredible. If you want even more charm, head Northwest to Rotenburg. It is a touristy place, but it is a well-preseved medieval town and was like no other town I've seen. <BR>Many people go to Bertchesgarden, only an hour or so from Munich. It's supposed to be a very scenic ride out there (we didn't get a chance to do this). Also consider going to Salzburg or Innsbruck for a change of pace. In Salzburg you can see the very beautiful cathedral in the main square, the the Hohensalzburg Fortress, Mozart's birthplace, Mirabell Gardens or just go for a bikeride. We rented bikes and spent one morning biking by the river to the Hellbrunn Palace. We stayed at Hotel Mozart in Salzburg which was a pretty good location, nice rooms, included breakfast and not too pricey. <BR> <BR>I think 3 days in Munich will be sufficient to see the major sights, but of course, there's a lot of things to do there. <BR>I don't know if you want to drive, but it isn't difficult and I got a lot of great ideas and cute locations, towns, driving itineraries and places to stay from Karen Brown's book of Germany called Inns and Itineraries. You can find it at any large bookstore or check out her website www.karenbrown.com (I think). <BR>Good luck! You will have a great trip. <BR>Any more questions, just email me. <BR>I didn't get into other areas of Germany we visited, because you will be there only one week and your time is better spent around the Munich area. <BR>I wish I were going back again, but am planning my next trip which, this year, will be Spain. <BR>Hope this info helps you. <BR>

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 06:04 PM
wes fowler

Jeff, <BR>An unbelievably lengthy Email is on its way to you. Drop me a line if you've any questions or concerns.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 11:00 PM
Philip

I suggest that you make Munich your home base and take daytrips to other towns like Rothenburg, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Salzburg, Austria. A book that I can recommend is "Daytrips Germany" by Earl Steinbicker. I have found that it is so much better to come back to the same hotel room every night and not have to schlep my baggage to a new town every night.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 06:02 AM
Jeff

Thanks, all. Wes, I hope to pour over your info this weekend. Thanks for the effort.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 06:13 AM
carolyn

Jeff, not too many people recommend Innsbruck, but I really like it. Wherever you go, be sure to eat lots of pastry. It's terrific.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 01:58 PM
steff

plan ahead...oktoberfest is in september and lots of places book up... if you get the chance to go then do it... amazing...experience the hofbrauhaus in munich... also innsbruck and Garmisch should be on the agenda as they are close by