Search

Round the World

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 09:08 AM
DSK

Round the World

I don't know where to post this so I will try several places. Has anyone traveled through Europe on a "round the world" air ticket? What are the resrtictions? How many stops can I take in Europe? How much does it cost?

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 10:06 AM
Rex

I have no real expertise in this other than what I have read, but I think that the key is that you have to keep moving east (or west) - - no back-tracking. <BR> <BR>And so, the key is to find an airline that offers you service for the Europe portion that contains multiple segments in an west-to-east fashion. <BR> <BR>For example, Dublin-Paris, then Paris-Lyon, then Lyon-Rome - - all on Air France. Now you just have to find one (or more likely two) other partner airline(s) to AirFrance that can complete the rest of the circumterrestrial circle, beginning (presumably) with xxx-Dublin, and ending with "Pacific rim somewhere"-yyy and yyy-xxx - - where yyy is a point in the western US, and xxx is a point in the eastern US. <BR> <BR>Round the world tickets customarily cost $2000-4000 USD. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 11:02 AM
DSK

Thank you Rex. That is affordable! Whee did you get your info? Would love to get some hard facts.

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 11:09 AM
John

DSK, here are a couple of useful web sites: <BR> <BR>http://www.atwtraveler.com/index.htm <BR>http://www.airtreks.com/ <BR> <BR>Many airlines offer ATW fares. Generally they involve a maximum mileage for the fare (or sometimes they have a couple of alternate fares, for example west-to-east via mainland Asia vs. Australia, etc.), and as Rex says, they generally discourage doubling back, but it's not impossible, just wastes miles. One thing to consider is that US carriers often cannot carry traffic intra-Europe (ie you can't fly United from London to Rome) so you probably ought to look at big non-US carriers or those with extensive partnering plans which let you ride some local carrier between "local" stops. <BR> <BR>Otherwise you should check with favorite airlines to get details. <BR> <BR>Happy planning!

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 11:11 AM
Puck

Has anyone ever considered calling primary sources for facts? <BR> <BR>Many airlines, perhaps dozens, offer RTW fares. Most with different conditions, routings, prices, etc. <BR> <BR>Fodor's participants are excellent sources of opinions, as evaluation of hotels, etc. Sometimes facts. <BR> <BR>But the best sources for facts are the horses' mouths. Ask airlines what their fares are. Ask railroads where to buy their tickets.

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 11:15 AM
DSK

Thank you John. Will look at those sites and thanks for the advise too. Puck, I did ask the airlines and they were not very helpful. One even said i couldn't do it through one place, I thought otherwise so I came here.

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 11:15 AM
Rex

Puck, <BR> <BR>I totally agree with you. That is why I cite web sites so extensively. If we serve no other purpose than referring people to primary sources - - being "librarians", we will still do a lot of good. <BR>

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 01:00 PM
Topper

back to the top

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 01:13 PM
Patrick

I would call American Airlines One World division. They have a special number of 1-800-247-3247. They offer a pretty extensive round the world program in conjunction with their partner airlines including Quantas, Cathay Pacific, British Airways, Iberia, and many others. They sent me a whole folder which explains a lot of it. It is really a pretty flexible program, and the business class round the world ticket with many stops can be purchased for just a little more than a business class ticket round trip to Europe. Their prices are based on the number of stops you choose and how many continents you choose.

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 01:18 PM
DSK

Thank you! <BR>