Search

Rough planning for late Mar 09 Mainland/Island trip

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough planning for late Mar 09 Mainland/Island trip

Hello -

We have flight arriving Mar 26, 5:30 pm Athens. Leaving Athens Apr 9. 1:30 pm. So about 13 full days. I was thinking to change arrival day to Mar 25, a holiday there, I know, but since many things will be closed (?) it might be a good "down day" to wander around the Plaka a few hours area before crashing from jet lag. (really just trying get an extra day in!) Will we have problems getting from the airport on Mar 25 and into a hotel? Not worried about food, if something is open we can eat just about anything.
2nd rough planning question: If we are going to try and see 1 or 2 islands (not decided yet), should we just try to hop a flight straight from the Athen's airport on our arrival day (since we're already there) and do the mainland part 2nd? We'll already be beat from getting to Athens, so what's a couple more hours... I know it depends of if there are any flights available that day. Or, by waiting till the end of our trip for island stuff maybe it will be nicer weather...?
Thanks for any input - I could very well be off-my-rocker on all points!
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 11:33 AM

It's best to continue on to the islands when you first arrive and save Athens until the end. If you keep checking the Aegean Airlines website you will be able to catch the next discount airfare sale. It started around December last year and tickets to the island went for 10 euro plus taxes.

Don't expect good weather in March. It will be cloudy,cold, windy and possibly raining. The water will be too cold for swimming. The islands will be very quiet as almost all the tourist businesses close in November and don't reopen until April or May.
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I thought the weather might be a factor, but we really aren't going for beach relaxing, more exploring, sightseeing - was thinking Crete and Santorini (we are traveling w/my sister and hubby who were there (Santorini 15 years ago and want to go back) I'm open to whatever.. It rained 9 of 12 days on our last trip (Spain, late Feb 04)and we still had fun, but islands might be a different story if most things are closed. Thanks!
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 01:23 PM

You need to have a candid talk w. sister & hubby. I'll bet their fond Santorini memories were from a sunny month..and they'll be so let down when it is chilly, rainy, grey. And without sun & sunsets what's there to see in Santorini? Have them save that return for the right time of year.

In fact the weather is crucial; I'm sure you have a good family or job reason why March, that you have not shared. If this is not so, consider changing your trip dates. If it IS so, then all 4 of you need to research and discuss realistically what locales can offer you enjoyable experiences in nasty weather, when it's VERY off-season.

The best choices will be places that will be more lively because of larger permanent population, historical and landscape highlights that are good even on rainy days... good cuisine ...cultural sites & events...and interesting nightlife.

Some possibles: Chania Crete, and Heraklion (if u study up on the history of the latter) ... Rhodes Old Town... Athens Of Course! ... and Nafplio and the Argolid area.

U can easily fly to Chania on yr day of arrival. Spend 2 days there, 2 days in Heraklion. In March you can fly from Crete to Rhodes Old town for as little as 65€, for 2 days and then from Rhodes fly to Athens for only 25€!! These are Aegean promotional fares (e-mail me for booking tips to assure you get the bargain rates).

From Athens airport, you can drive along a modern 4-lane highway 2.5 hours to gorgeous Nafplio, a favorite getaway of savvy Greeks year-round, and Fab to explore in any weather!! Castles, fortresses, sunsets, chic shopping, VERY good food. 3 days there, see Epidaurus & Tiryns in sun or showers, then back to Athens for last 4 days; ancient sites, modern concerts & night life, etc.... A way to assure a good time with umbrella or without!

Now tell me why u can't go in May.
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Hmm - the timing is work-related, but maybe not impossible to change for May. But in case not, I like your idea(s)and will post the outcome in the near future. I was interested in Rhodes, but thought it was too far! Those airfare prices are incredible. Also, I was hoping to see Monemvassia at some point. That's why the rough planning - Thanks a bunch!
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 06:39 PM

If you can possibly change to May, the timing is far far far better! Then you will be able to enjoy ALL the aspects of greece -- not only the culture, and the ruins, and the food, and the nightlife == but also the incredible island landscapes, the sand and the sea, the sea.

If it's not impossible, it SHOULD be done -- you will come back & thank me.
Old Jun 8th, 2008, 06:43 PM

Your throwaway line about -- and I wanted to see Monemvasia. That can be for your NEXT trip. Why why why do people fantasize about seeing all the wonders of a country in 13 days. That is saying, we'll never go back there, it's not worth a 2nd trip.

What would you think of someone saying we have 13 full days in the USA -- I would like to see NYC, Savannah, New Orleans, Minneapolis... and Oh, yes, I sorta wanted to see the GRand Canyon.

WHat would your reaction be?!?!? It would be, have you looked at a map, buddy?? And so I say .... oh well.
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I know, there are going to be some difficult choices to make, especially after reading Greece posts and trip reports. I went to buy the Rough Guide travel book, B & N was out. The ones I libraried - Frommers, Fodor, (just bought LP last night) concentrate on sites, not as much on logistics and it's hard to get a grasp on distances by looking at their maps. So, I'm already thankin' you for input. We don't have the opportunity to travel enough, so the mind-set gets to be "lets cram it in"!
Keep it coming, I can take it!!
Old Jun 9th, 2008, 05:34 AM

Have you thought any more about switching to a warmer Month? That gives you SO many more options of where to go to enjoy the true Greece! Is the work-obligation solvable?

As for not getting the chance to travel, don't feel u are alone in that. I wanted to see Greece from the age of 16, but wasn't able to go until my 60s (Life got in the way). Oh well, I've been there 7 times in past 9 years, so -- your time will come!!

In the meantime I'm not giving more advice until you settle on a time; if you'd like to discuss off-forum, e-mail me.