Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rough itinerary for low-key Irish visit-practical via public transport?

Aug 24th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

My father and I are going to Ireland in late Sep/early Oct, and will spend six days or a week visiting relatives in Dublin. Our current plan is to travel with these relatives to Cork, to see another relative, and then take our leave of them. Then we want to go to Tralee, Kilkenny, and Graignamanagh (in that order), before returning to Dublin to fly out.

I realize this itinerary is a little eccentric, but it is what my Dad seems to want. I am still working on how to get to Graignamanagh, but I wasn't figuring that Tralee and Kilkenny would be too hard, although we may have to double back a bit. A rental car is NOT an option for us. Tralee could be dropped. Graignamanagh is a place he has a heavy investment in visiting, even though it is unquestionably going to be the difficult destination.
Aug 25th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Original Poster

Any thoughts at all? Please? Thanks!
Aug 25th, 2009, 02:55 AM

If a rental car is not an option, would you consider hiring a driver? They can be very informative and would take you door to door. I can't recommend anyone as this is not in my experiences in Ireland, but I have read of people using this option and having an enjoyable time on a personal tour. Maybe google this option, look on Ireland websites and ask here if anyone has done this.

Good luck!
Aug 25th, 2009, 03:14 AM

I don't understand your problem

Just get a train from Cork to Tralee (there are a couple of direct ones a day, and a few more changing at Mallow), then get a train from Tralee to Kilkenny, changing at Dublin Heuston.

The person who boasted of a bus from Kilkenny to Graiguenamanagh has failed to find it. That's because there isn't one (I spent a fair slug of last week discovering how devoid of public transport Bantry is). You'll have to get a mincab from and back to Kilkenny.
Aug 25th, 2009, 03:18 AM

Besides the problem of how to get to Graignamanagh from Kilkenny (your other thread), only Tralee is a bit the odd man in your itinerary. From Tralee, you will have to go back to Cork to go to Kilkenny (by bus). Only you will know how many hours your Dad can take on a bus.

Otherwise you will have frequent direct buses or trains. In Dublin and Cork those will depart from bus stations where you will get your tickets. In the other towns you simply pay the driver.

If your dad really wants to go to Graignamanagh, you simply pay 25-30 Euros per ride for a taxi or hackney cab to get there from and back to Kilkenny.
Aug 25th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Dad is fine on buses, and doesn't mind a bit of doubling back to Cork. Graignamanagh is clearly difficult, and I had come to the conclusion that we were going to have to pay for a cab or a car and driver. It seems that he is willing, since he really does want to go there.

He now, however, is telling me that he really doesn't want to make any reservations for any of this stuff until we get to Dublin, making it less imperative that we decide on a specific itinerary. I had mostly wanted to be sure that this itinerary (and the order) made relative geographic sense, and didn't involve anything really strange.
Aug 25th, 2009, 09:17 PM

If "any of this stuff" are the buses or the cab in Kilkenny, there is no need to make reservations. Actually, you can't. You just show up, get your ticket (you do get a small discount, though, if you buy it online in advance), and board the bus. It may be a different issue for trains, though, especially for promotional fares. Otherwise, trains are usually much more expensive than the buses anyway.

I doubt that in late Sep/early Oct many accomodations will be sold out - unless there is a major local event or festivity going on. You will surely find that info on the websites of the places you mentioned. When in doubt, e-mail the tourist info if they know of any reason to make advance reservations. Nevertheless, I'd get a list of two or three B&Bs or hotels which you liked in each place you want to see. So you would know who to call once you get ready to move on to the next town.
Aug 26th, 2009, 02:15 AM

I had mostly wanted to be sure that this itinerary (and the order) made relative geographic sense, and didn't involve anything really strange.

On a second look, there would indeed be room for improvement (no backtracking) if you traveled Dublin-Tralee-Cork-Kilkenny-(side trip Graignamanagh)-Dublin (or the other way around). But since you will have to go to Cork first, there don't seem to be a better alternative to the itinerary in your OP.
Aug 26th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

We probably do have to go to Cork first, although I suppose it might be possible to do it the other way, depending on what the people we are visiting want, and how my Dad feels about the whole thing. I always like to have my accomodation booked, but my dad was always a fairly spontaneous traveler, and wants more of an outline itinerary, rather than, Tuesday, we will be here. I had kind of thought that I might like to try to book the car and driver for Graignamanagh while we're still in the US, but realistically, it's probably fine to do that only a day or two in advance.

He's alwasy been a little quixotic, and has gotten more so as he gets older, so there may be more changes to this itinerary.
Sep 9th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

The plot thickens. We e-mailed the owner of a guesthouse in Graiguenamanagh, and he claimed there was a bus twice a day from Kilkenny, except on Sundays. My sister is going to re-e-mail him regarding details of this phantom bus.
Sep 17th, 2009, 08:28 AM

maybe google 'bus eireann' which is the national bus carrier, or alternatively there is a private bus company around kilkenny call pearse kavanagh or something, they may have a service.

There is a good train service between Dublin and Cork,check out irishrail.ie and also between Cork and Tralee. It is an hourly service to cork, and a fairly good service to Tralee. They run seven days a week.
Sep 17th, 2009, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Bus Eirann definitely doesn't serve Graiguenamanagh (or if it does they are not admitting it) and Pierce Kavanagh seems to be strictly a tour/hire company, rather than one offering a regularily scheduled service. It is a phantom bus, beyond a doubt. However, my father is on the edge of abandoning the idea of going there, so it may not matter.