Reload this Page >

Rothenburg to Vienna by train via Bavaria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 11:59 AM
sockboy

I previously posted my itinerary for our European trip in the September. I was pretty happy with it, but now have a twist. We were able to extend the trip by a week - but we are now flying out of Vienna rather than Munich. All of our travel will be by train. I would love some advise on how to spend that extra week!

Day 1 Arrive Amsterdam
Day 2 Amsterdam
Day 3 Amsterdam
Day 4 Dutch Day trip
Day 5 Amsterdam to Bruges via Brussels
Day 6 Bruges
Day 7 Bruges to Cochem
Day 8 Explore Mosel and Burg Eltz
Day 9 Rhine Day
Day 10 Cochem to Rothenburg
Day 11 Rothenburg
Day 12 Rothenburg to Reutte
Day 13 Castle Day
Day 14 Reutte to Munich Via Garmish
Day 15 Munich
Day 16 Depart Munich

Here is where the old itinerary ends . . .
Now I have to add:
Days 17-22 Austria
Day 23 Fly out of Vienna

My questions are:

Now that I am not departing from Munich, does it make sence to go there after Rothenburg, and then to Reutte? My least favorite part of the original itinerary was the long ride from Rothenburg to Reutte - 5h40mins. But it seems like I might have to go back through Munich anyway.

I am very interested in Hallstatt, Melk and Vienna. Salzberg doesn't sound like it would be a hilite for me. How should I split up the time in Austria?

Should I add another day in Munich?

Sould I minimise the time in Austria and slow the whole trip down?

I appreciate any and all suggestions. For some reason I just can't get my head around this new part of the trip!

Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In terms of travel by rail, three of your destinations (Rothenburg, Reutte, and Hallstatt) are on secondary branch lines served by slow local trains. This will make your journey times longer (I am not saying you shouldn't go to these places if that's what you want).

From Reutte to Vienna you can travel either through Munich or through Innsbruck. Melk makes a good day trip from Vienna. Seeing Hallstatt would require at least an overnight stop between Reutte and Vienna (or Munich and Vienna). There is much to see in Vienna, and I would spend a majority of my Austria time there.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 11:39 AM
sockboy

Thanks - I do realise that some of our travel will take longer, due to train connections, but we really don't want to drive. The more I read about Vienna, the better it sounds!

Does stopping in Melk on the way from Hallstatt to Vienna sound doable? I would really love to spend a couple of nights in that area, but I just don't think I have enough time!

Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 06:01 PM

Yes, if you spend the night in Hallstatt you would pass through Melk on the way to Vienna. You could stop for a few hours and continue on to Vienna.

Possibly your greatest problem would be what to do with your luggage. Melk is a small station and I don't know what they have in the way of luggage storage facilities.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 07:55 PM

You need to change trains twice to get to Melk from Hallstatt, with most changes occurring in Attnang-Puchheim and Amstetten.

I don't remember seeing any lockers at the Melk train station. However, there are hotels within a five minute or so walk from the station.