Rothenburg-Heidelberg-Monschau

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be arriving on a November Saturday early afternoon in Frankfurt's main airport. And have figured to go Rothenburg from there, then to Heidelberg on Sunday and to Monschau on Monday. Then back to Frankfurt or Mainz. I've never been to those areas before, but of all that I'm reading, this appeals to me. Is this a good idea? Is it best to stay in Frankfurt and take day trips or to take my luggage (one medium-sized bag on wheels) around to these towns. Also, how does the itinerary sound? And would I be able to take trains between these towns or would I still have to return to Frankfurt in order to connect? I really appreciate your help. -TravelerJ
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 03:59 AM

Look into the DB German rail guide. It is great for seeing the schedules and prices and how many changes you can make. I wouldn't stay in Frankfurt as it would take all your time to go back. Rothenburg has a wonderful information spot with all types of small hotels and prices. We rolled our suitecases everywhere and most hotels will hold your luggage until you can check in. Plush the train stations have lockers for luggage. A place close to Frankfurt to see is Wurtzburg. Has a palace and a castle. We found it as we were taking trains to Rothenburg and had to go back to check it out. But first check on your trains and then that will help in your planning. Have fun
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 04:25 AM

You're attempting to cover too much ground in too little time. And there's no train service to Monschau.

For a Sat-Mon stay I'd suggest a visit to the more localized destinations of Rothenburg, Würzburg (Residenz palace), Bamberg, and Nuremberg, all charming places. Würzburg is a good base for touring by train.

Old Oct 30th, 2007, 05:25 AM
ira

Hi T,

Train schedules are at www.bahn.de

Old Oct 30th, 2007, 06:11 AM
Brutforce

Russ is correct & Rothenburg is at the end of the line, so pick a place & stick to it. Rothenburg & Wurzburg would be fine although an overnight in Rothenburg is preferred - as once the tourist hordes depart (about 5), it turns into a most beautiful little town.

Old Oct 30th, 2007, 03:44 PM

Look into Bad Wimpfen. It is just an hour or so from Heidelberg and does have train service. It is a lovely little town with enough to keep you occupied for at least several hours.

www.badwimpfen.de