Rothenburg, Dinkelsbühl or Nördlingen?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2019, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm considering taking my niece to Germany and possibly Austria next December, probably flying in/out Munich - 7-10 days. Her first trip to Europe.

Very early stages, but my rough plan is to include a Medieval town, Christmas Markets, Alps (probably Zugspitz, possibly Innsbruck or Salzburg) and then end in Munich. We'll be traveling exclusively by train/bus. I'd like to fit in a castle too, but the thought of Neuschwanstein as a day trip from Munich doesn't appeal - been there a few times, the last time was a bust (maybe the fortress in Salzburg would be a good alternative).

I've been to Rothenburg ob der Tauber several times, can't remember visiting Dinkelsbuhel or Nordlingen, but might have spent a few hours there a gazillion years ago on a rushed bus tour.

For those who have visited all three, curious which you'd choose and why? Looking at 2-3 nights, as it'll probably be our first stop upon arrival.
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been to all three twice - I rather liked Dinkelsbuhl as a neat old town sans the huge crowds of Rothenburg, the only Romantic Road village most folks have heard of. Nordlingen seemed a bit less medieval than the other two.

But Rothenburg after the bus tours and day trippers have departed can be delightful and there is the very popular Night Watchman's Tour that I did not take but many here rave about. I'd chose Rothenburg but maybe spend the day in Dinkelsbuhl.
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

The whole crowd thing is why I'm leaning towards Dinkelsbuhel - but I'm not sure if that's still the case. When were you there last?<br /><br />Just looked at DB - seems it takes a similar amount of time to get to both from Munich. <br /><br />I'm under the impression that getting to Rothenburg from Dinkelsbuhel isn't all that easy by public transport - will do some more research.

Last edited by Melnq8; Jan 13th, 2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Looks like 1:37 and 2:12 to get from one to the other via RUF and BUS or RB and BUS. Any idea what RUF is?

Answered my own question:

"Ruf Bus" indicates that this bus won't come at random. It requires telephoning in advance and notifying them that the bus is needed.

Doesn't sound particularly convenient.

Last edited by Melnq8; Jan 13th, 2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 03:30 PM

No I have not been to Rothenburg for about 10 years but constantly read here comments about it and probably even more crowded than when I was last there. It's a lovely town for sure - much more than other two IMO. You can take the daily in summer Romantic Road Express Bus between Rothenburg and Dinkelsbuhl and Nordlingen. You get commentary en route and it makes short stops in Dinkelsbuhl and Nordlingen I believe - did when I took it long ago.
Old Jan 13th, 2019, 09:00 PM

Hi Melnq8,

Sorry I can't really help with your actual question -- I haven't been to Dinkelsbuehl, and I haven't been to Rothenburg (o Tauber) in over 10 years. Though when I went, I stayed in RoT for something like 4 or 5 nights, and spent that time exploring the countryside. It's nice, but of course nowhere near as dramatic as my part of Bavaria.

I'm writing to suggest maybe a stay in Fuessen instead of a day-trip there. Did you get to the actual medieval castle in town when you visited -- the Hohes Schloss? Lots of folks who advise on TA (who are residents) are aghast that the rather recent Neuschwanstein gets all the press and all the visits while the Hohes Schloss is virtually ignored. Plus, Füssen is such a pretty place, with 2 big nearby lakes, tons of bike paths in the valley, and good hiking in the Alps. It's convenient to reach Reutte, Oberammergau, Lindenhof, and Ettal.

Sorry, though, I don't think it really qualifies as a medieval town. For that, I'd head to Regensburg... but I know you've been there, so if it's not on your mind, you probably didn't like it as much as I did

Hope you find just the right spot...

s
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 03:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Swandav - I've seen all of Ludwig's castles (some multiple times), but the Hohes Schloss is new to me, so perhaps a perfect solution. I'll definitely look into it. The fact it's ignored piques my interest as Neuschwanstein was a nightmare last year when I was there.

I do have Regansburg (I liked it a lot!) and Bamberg on my mind - both much easier to get to from Munich. I'm having a difficult time choosing - so little time and all that - I want her to see a mix of places yet I want it to make logistical sense and I don't want to exhaust us getting there.

Last year I did this with girlfriends - we visited Bamberg, Rothenburg o der Tauber, Munich (and Neuschwanstein) in seven nights and it was just too much, although having one travel partner instead of three should be much easier.

Pal - I like Rothernburg well enough - I've been several times and I do love it at night, and have taken the Watchman's Tour 2-3 times. It gets insanely crowded though, which is why Dinkelsbuhel appeals. My comment about when you'd last been was directed towards Dinkelsbuhel - I'm really curious if it's still quieter than Rothenburg, hence the comparison question.

Comments regarding more recent experience would be very helpful.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 05:56 AM

We were in Rothenburg in September 2017, so pretty recent. I had read all the comments about it being mobbed with tourists and honestly our experience was as opposite from that as could be. We stayed for 3 nights and the only time we saw a bunch of people was the night we did the Night Watchman Tour. People must have come out of the woodwork for that, as during the days the streets were not crowded at all. Maybe word got out and it has deterred the crowds? I don't know, but just wanted to share that our experience was very pleasant and not at all what I had read about.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 07:02 AM

https://www.romantischestrasse.de/bu...d-express/?L=1

Forgot to get link to Romantic Road 'Express' Bus which could be one of the bus codes that has flummoxed you.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 11:12 AM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Not answering your question, Mel, but you mention Innsbruck, so just thinking maybe you could go south of Munich rather than north?
You might remember I visited Hall in Tirol in September, really nice town surrounded by mountains and I am possibly taking my mother to South Tirol later this year, I note that Brixen has a lovely Christmas market.
And Bolzano has a castle. Lots of castles in region, actually.
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 11:29 AM

And, Augsburg, on the Romantic Road just south of Nordlingen and all, was IME a really neat large city.
Old Jan 15th, 2019, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks you mms.

Adelaidean - Innsbruck is definitely on the short list - we were there just a month ago and I loved it. We also spent a day in Hall. I'll look into Brixen and Bolzano, thank you.

PS - we loved Seefeld too - absolutely loads of snow while we were there.
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 07:12 AM

I was in Rothenburg Dec. 2011. Didn‘t feel crowded at all
Old Jan 28th, 2019, 05:46 PM

How old is your niece?
Old Jan 28th, 2019, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

sassafrass - she'll be 19. Not sure if December is going to work, due to her school schedule, so may need to go this spring or summer. Still working out that bit.
Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 11:10 AM

Rothenburg

We discovered Rothenburg in1970 when I was stationed in the Army at Stuttgart. Have been visiting there frequently for the last 49 years. i would recommend this city for your niece unless you are just tired of it. Dinkelsbuhl is nice, but quiet. If you have a car you can easily swing through there or take a bus.

We enjoy staying at the Reichs Kuchenmeister when in Roth. Even if you do not stay there the restaurant is good.

Try to hit opening night for the Christmas Market in Roth. Very quaint, very hometown feel. Your niece will enjoy it.
Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your insight traveldawg.

Unfortunately, we'll be tied to her school schedule, so won't get there until probably mid-December, so can't hit opening night.

Rothenburg is still on the table, but it'll probably come down to how much time we have, and at the moment that's the great unknown.
Old Mar 3rd, 2019, 09:25 PM

Hi again,

Recently spent a few hours in Füssen, and here are some photos of the castle --

Old Mar 4th, 2019, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Great photo swandav - so many places, so little time!