Reload this Page >

Room for 3 in London Not too Expensive

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 04:00 PM
Miz

Looking for accomodations in London where 3 women can stay in one room, private toilet/shower and a moderate price..not too expensive, not far from public transporation. Do most have only stairs?...this would be a problem if getting to the room requires a lot of stair climbing my mom is with us 70ish Is the Kensington area expensive? Where are the best areas to stay? <BR>

Old Mar 13th, 2000, 04:34 PM
Yitz

Hi, You may want to try Apartments in London, <BR>try these web sites, <BR>http://www.London4Rent.com <BR>http://www.Vacationspot.com <BR>http://www.vacationhomes .com

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 06:12 AM
Sue

A year ago I stayed with my daughter and her friend at the London Guards Hotel. The room for 3 cost about 100 pounds a night and for London was quite a good size. The location was great. Our room had a large en suite bathroom, fridge, hair dryer, coffee/tea making equipment and air conditioning. Breakfast was included and was more than adequate - suggest you drink the tea rather than the coffee! The hotel is a three or four minute walk from Lancaster Gate tube, a two minute walk from Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park, and a seven or eight minute walk from Marble Arch and Oxford Street. It is in a nice old building that has been newly renovated - there is an elevator! I booked through Demon (www/demon.co.uk/hotel-uk) and the pictures and information supplied were accurate. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 09:19 AM
Lori

"not too expense" can mean many things to many peoole - to get the best answer you really need to be specific, i.e. we don't want to spend more than $100/night, $200 etc. All the major hotels (large ones) have elevators, so that's not a problem. You might want to check out the Travel Inns, they are about 69 pounds/night and rooms sleep 3. The bathrooms are all your own private one (en-suite). They don't have much charm as they are new "motel-ish" places but price wise they may work for you. There is one by Euston STation, one at County Hall (across from Big Ben) and a couple of others, you can check their web site. Other than that, just do a search for hotels in London,there are so many it's beyond belief. We always stay in an apartment ourselves, but we did stay at the Kensington Hilton one time, smallish rooms, but otherwise decent. <BR>You may want to give some thought to your sightseeing plans if your Mom can't handle lots of stairs/walking. The Underground has lots of escalators, but it's frequently a lot of walking around down there too. You may do better on the bus depending upon where you are going. As for "best area" - it all depends on what you like/want - most of the areas tourists stay in are fine. We stay near Regent's Park, but Bloomsbury, Kensington, the area around Victoria Station, etc. are all full of tourist hotels.

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 12:32 PM
Jen

I stayed at the London Guards Hotel in Nov. There were 3 of us and it was about 100 pounds. Nice sized bedroom and private bathroom. It is a perfect location 1/2 block from where the airbus pickup/drop to heathrow airport and 1/2 way between 2 tube stops (3 min walk to each). 5 min walk to Kensington Gardens. Highly recommend staying there!

Old Mar 19th, 2000, 03:41 AM
MsMiz

Lori. <BR>thanks for the info <BR>I would like some details on the apt you have used. location? price? contact info? <BR>thanks

Old Mar 19th, 2000, 10:20 AM
Lori

HI, <BR>Regarding apartments - we have used Nick Price (Price Apartments) and have been very happy, in fact we are beginning to think of Nick as a personal friend he's so pleasant to work with. His website is: www/.priceapts.co.uk. Nick owns several bldgs. on Balcombe Street (couple blocks from Regent's Park and Baker St. tube (and shops/etc.) and about 2 blocks from Marylebone Station (tube stop). They are NOT fancy places and Nick would be the first to tell you that, but they are in a comfortable price range if you do not want to spend your entire budget on lodging. He also acts as an agent for several other places which you can link to from his web page and they are a little more expensive. We rent a studio on Balcombe and it's about 370 sq ft and has a bathroom and small kitchen - it costs about $108/night. I believe the studios could sleep 3 but not sure. "Ours" is one flight up. He has a couple of one bedroom flats and is currently remodeling a 2 bedroom flat which will be avail. late April. The one bedrooms are about 600 pounds/week or about $137 a day - they will sleep 3 and also have kitchens/private bathroom. <BR>Again, they are not fancy, the studio we rent is fine for us, two "day beds", a couple of big chairs, a small desk, a bureau, a couple of tables, t.v., wardrobe, etc. The kitchen has a small stove, a sink, small refrigerator, microwave and table/chairs (for 2). The bathroom had the usual stuff, but hand held shower as is pretty much the norm in many places in Europe. <BR> <BR>The only thing with an apartment is that you do not get daily maid service, and if that is important to you then you have to reconsider the issue. Most apartments change linens, etc. once a week. As for Nick, you can make special arrangements if you want more often, etc. This is all a personal issue. Apartments vary greatly from hotels as you do not have someone picking up after you everyday, but we like the freedom of an apt. and having a kitchen makes it great for breakfasts and snacks. <BR> <BR>You might want to check out Nick's Dalmeny Court, with 3 of you splitting the bill (I imagine) it might be worth it. Most smaller apt. bldgs. don't have elevators, but if you are booking far enough in advance you can request 1st floor (which is actually the second in the UK) or ground floor which is what we would call the first floor (confusing,huh?) <BR> <BR>I think alot of this comes down to how much you want to pay, what level of luxury you want, etc. As long as a place is clean and comfortable it's OK with us, we'd rather spend the money we save on other things like theater tickets, trips to Europe every year, etc. <BR> <BR>If you need more info let me know and I will e-mail you directly - I normally do not use my personal e-mail on the Forum but do correspond with several forum regulars via personal mail.