Reload this Page >

Paulo (or anyone)...Wedding in Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 04:50 AM
Paulo

It looks like Fodor's server has eaten up another post ... <BR> <BR>To the original poster: What's the specific question? <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 03:55 PM
Mustangs81

Paulo...you are correct, my long question was indeed eaten up. Thanks for responding and here goes. My daughter is getting married in Florence in Nov, 2000. I have been communicating with a wedding planner who seems to be able to offer us everything we require for the ceremony. Question is...I was thinking of renting a villa outside of Florence (Villa Panorama) for the 2 families for 1 week. Each family would have a car and could do day trips from there. In a recent response, you did not advocate using Florence as a home base. We must be near Florence for the requisite pre-wedding preparation, do you have another suggestion for lodging. Maybe we should have hotel rooms for the 3 nights that we have to be in Florence? I’m looking at the expense factor also.

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 06:01 AM
Mustangs81

Hope you don't mind me bring this to the top.

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 06:24 AM
Paulo

I'll agree with you that renting a villa for both families for the whole stay in the area is much more cost effective. <BR> <BR>I really don't advocate using Florence as a base to explore Tuscany. Most hotels don't have garages. You'll therefore have to find your way twice a day from the hotel to the garage. Garages are expensive. Driving in and out (specially driving in) may be time consuming and boring, etc. If one stays out of the old centre of Florence, though, most of these inconveniencies disapear. One would still have to find/pay for parking when driving into Florence ... you gain on one side and loose in the other ... patience! <BR> <BR>Now, if the matter related to staying in a villa is settled, the question is where would be the most convenient location. You say that you'll need 3 days in Florence. If you don't need to be there very early in the morning there's nothing to bind you in the immediate vicinities of the city. You could lodge yourself in a villa further south ... somewhere in the Chianti district for example. You'd still be able to reach Florence in 40/50 minutes or so and be in a better position to explore hill towns during your 4 "free" days. <BR> <BR>If you know which daytrips you want to do during your free days, I would look for a villa location that would minimize driving back and forth. Of course, finding a nice villa that would accomodate both families at a reasonable cost would prevail on location ... <BR> <BR>In your shoes, I would opt for a villa around Castellina in Chianti (or maybe Greve). This would enable you to drive into Florence (45 min), Siena (30min), San G. (35min) to name just a few. Never stayed in a villa there, so I don't have recommendations. <BR> <BR>Of course, if you're more interested in northern Tuscany (Lucca/Pisa/Montecatini/etc), staying just outside Florence would be more appropriate. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 06:42 AM
Mustangs81

You have given me a renewed comfort level with my plan. Thank you. I have never experienced the parking issue in Florence (I've trained in) but have friends that have horror stories, I had forgotten about that. Thanks for bringing the issue up. We can afford to drive in each day at our leisure so I will look at my planning map for other villa options as you suggest. Thank you for your considerate response.

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 09:40 AM
Paulo

With reference to driving into Florence and finding where to park, there are a few comments to be made. <BR> <BR>a) you may be adventurous and try your luck ... just drive into Florence and follow the characteristic signs to the center and train station (they're all over the place). Eventually you'll reach the Sta. Maria Novella Station. If you're lucky, the big underground garage won't be full and your troubles are over. In case it's full, I would try to find a private garage in the streets neighboring Piazza Sta. Maria Novella (there are a couple in via dei Fossi( <BR> <BR>b) In the past, I drove into Florence twice on a daytrip ... both times, instead of driving into the old city (crossing the Arno in my case once I was coming from the south), I just parked at a curbside at about one kilometer or so before getting to the thick of things. From there I took a cab both times ... <BR> <BR>c) the scheme above is ok if you have full insurance (CDW and theft) with no deductible ... in principle, if I'm fully insured I would care less! Of course, I didn't have a Mercedes or a BMW ... these cars are more likely to be stollen and wouldn't like the hassle of all the necessary paperwork and car change. I've noticed, though, that many small private garages in the old town maintain a bigger one elswhere, more toward the outskirts of the city. Once you've decided where you pick your villa, you may discuss the subject with your wedding planner ... he'll be able to indicate a garage outside the city center, on your way when entering the city. From there you may take a taxi. <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>PS. Depending on where your villa will be, in principle you could also use public transportation into/out of town ... If you're inclined to contemplate such an option, make sure this is running at the time of your return ... I take it that you'll want to dine in the old city of Florence at least once in your stay ... if you finish late you may get stuck there. <BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2000, 04:25 PM
Mustangs81

Thank you again Paulo, for the detailed information. I am proceeding to look for a villa/farmhouse further out from Florence, I have several options that I am looking at. <BR> <BR>I will do a search on this board, I'm sure that someone has posted a recommendation for the Chianti district.