Rome---with tour guides or self-tours?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am starting to finalize an Italy trip in May that includes 3 days in Rome. Is it best to do "Ancient Rome" and the Vatican with a tour guide or is it just as good to do it on my own?

Your experience/recommendations please?

Thanks, Kathy
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 06:02 AM

We just got back from Rome after being there for 6 nights. We used ROME WALKS for tours of Ancient Rome & the Vatican. They were good tours but not necessary IMO.

We also went back to the Vatican on our own.

If I did it over again, I would just get the Audio Guides and skip the tours.

For ancient Rome, be sure to get your tickets at Palantine Hill as the line is not nearly as long as at the Colliseum and the ticket is good for both locations.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 07:21 AM

When I was in Rome I took a ancient Rome tour with Context Rome. It was very informative and interesting. The tour group consisted of 6 people and the guide really brought it to life. I would not have enjoyed this area as much if I had toured it on my own. I can highly recommend them.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

jbella,
Thanks since that leaves things much more flexible. Do thers agree?
Kathy
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 07:37 AM

I tour lots of sites on my own but for ancient ruins, a tour guide is a definite plus. Otherwise you won't know what you're looking at. A guide can give you 2 pages of information in 5 minutes, in an entertaining way - most people won't read two pages while standing in front of the Temple of the Vestal Virgins (or whatever).
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 07:44 AM

If you want to learn a lot of history, take the tour. If you there for photos, do a self tour. My tour guide was a historian and I'm glad there wasn't a test after the tour.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I'll check in to a few tours and see.

Any other specific tour guide recommmendations? Someone I know used Angel Tours but they seem to have some mixed reviews.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 09:50 AM

Context Rome. I used them for several tours, in particular Ancient Rome and Roman Empire. My guides were Phd archeologists. Without their input, I would have been looking at just so many stones without a clear idea of what it meant (note: I read extensively before going and still would have missed out on a lot).I did take a tour of the Vatican Museum but should have done that on my own (I'm a museum hound and would have had a better time on my own). The tour of Saint Peter's Basilica was helpful for my sister but in that I had extensively studied up on it beforehand, I would have done fine without. I really feel Context Rome is worth it as they limit to 6 people and do not cancel for lower numbers - we ended up with two private tours for the regular group cost! Also, if you are interested in Early Christianity, I HIGHLY recommend Anno Domini Organization which is a Jesuit organization. Their guide was also a phd and very knowledgable for my tour of St Johns Laterno, St Clementi and St Peter in Chains.
Old Mar 20th, 2008, 09:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I'd only strongly recommend a tour guide for the ruins. I also used Context Rome and without them, it would've looked like piles of stone, literally. They can give you the pertinent background and help you to visualize and understand what it was and why. I did the Ancient Rome tour that was Palatine Hill and the Forum and when I go back I would do the other one too which has more of Classical Rome. Yes, it was <i>that</i> interesting.