Rome with Kids

Mar 30th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Rome with Kids

Will be visiting Rome in June with husband and children ages 7 and 10. Will arrive on the overnight train from Paris on a Saturday morning and fly out on Tuesday morning. Want to see the highlights, but don't want to overwhelm the kids (or grown ups).

We are considering a day trip to get away from the big city. Any thoughts on how to spend a rather relaxing day? What about Sperlonga? Thanks!
Mar 30th, 2007, 12:17 PM

Of course, a lot depends on what interests you and the kids, but I would think there is plenty to see and do in Rome if you're only there for 3 days. If you're interested in some kid-friendly ideas, I have a summary of our family's trip last year (including a day trip to Pompeii) with kids 11, 9, and almost 7 at the time. Click on my name and go to the bottom thread for details. A search on "Rome kids" or "Rome children" should give you plenty of information as well.

Buon viaggio!
Mar 30th, 2007, 12:42 PM

You really only have two and a half days in Rome so I don't think that I would waste time and energy doing daytripping.You are going to be feeling "not so great" after an overnight train ride from Paris so take it slow on Saturday. Rome is a wonderful family city and from the moment your kids see the Forum and the Colliseum-they will be enthused about being there. I would divide your two REAL days into one for the ancient history area and one for the St. Peters area(put that on Monday). Trips to gelato shops,Trevi,Pantheon and souvenir places can always be put in anywhere else on that itinerary.Pompeii is wonderful but it is an all day affair and if you only have 2 days plus part of Saturday you might want to reschedule.Relax on the flight home and enjoy Rome while you can!
Mar 31st, 2007, 11:19 AM

Try a visit to the Villa Borghese rather than actually leaving town. This is a huge park in the center of Rome where many Roman families enjoy pleasant days together. I recall a carousal, a zoo, a little train that circles the park, surries for rent and just lots of people walking their dogs and playing with their children. I did not see it myself, but I think I heard that there is a hot air balloon as well.
Mar 31st, 2007, 02:00 PM

We've been to Rome three times with our daughter since she was 10. We were just there in February and she is now 16.

These are her favorite places:
Borghese Museum (favorite at 13)
and she loves the Borghese Park -especially renting a surrey and riding through the park (loves this park)
Spanish Steps to people watch
Castle St. Angelo - for the view and nearby the Vatican for the awesomeness of St. Peters
Great Synagogue and Ghetto - especially Piazza Mattei and the "turtle fountain" that has recently been restored.
Piazza Navona at night
Trevi Fountain at night
Colosseum
Pantheon (and DePalma nearby for gelato)
Capuccine Monk Crypt (Via Veneto) -she loved this when she was 10 but it is very strange...

For a relaxing day you could go to Borghese Park and bring along a picnic lunch - then ride a surry. There is also puppet shows for kids.

But Rome is much more about "Piazza Life" and while Paris has cafes Rome is really about hanging out outdoors in piazzas (cafes, restaurants, or just by a fountain) and relaxing. Dinners are very relaxing - noone will rush you.

Mar 31st, 2007, 06:35 PM

I agree that with such a sort time in Rome, a daytrip is probably not the best idea. You've received some good suggestions, but just so you know, the hot balloon in Borghese Gardens isn't there anymore.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 04:55 AM

Get a copy of Rome for Kids or the Eyewitness guide to Rome (Dorling Kindserley) and read the special section on Rome for children that I wrote many years ago.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:49 AM

If you search "missyie italy" you will find my trip report from our trip to Italy last summer with three kids.

The Galleria Borghese was a hit with everyone.

We did two guided tours with ICON. The kids liked being in a small group (I think their max is 15 people.) I'd recommend their forum/colloseum tour. I wouldn't recommend their Vatican Museums/Sistine Chapel/St. Peter's tour for kids your kids ages, just because there is simply no place or opportunity to sit down the entire tour, and most kids (and adults) don't do well standing for 3 or 4 hours.

You MUST climb the dome of St. Peters. It's like a fun house.

You might want to start with the Time Elevator, if your kids don't have a background in Roman history.

You didn't mention your religion, or lack thereof, and it's not our business...except, in Rome, you are presented with numerous numerous Roman Catholic churches, statues and paintings of martyrs, graphic depictions of the Last Judgement, etc. etc. This all prompted my 10 year old to ask questions like whether there is a literal Hell. I mention this because as a parent, you need to have an answer ready about what YOU believe (easy if you're also Roman Catholic.)
Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:57 AM

Sorry-search "missypie Italy" (not missyie).