Rome; Which Hilton or IHG properties?

Old Jun 17th, 2024, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome; Which Hilton or IHG properties?

Rome, Italy: contemplating on two Hilton properties, have you stayed at either?

1. Hilton Garden Inn, Rome Claridge
2. Cosmopolitan Hotel Rome, Tapestry

What were pros/cons? Thank you in advance.
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 07:52 PM

I know nothing about either of these hotels but from a quick google search of locations, I would chose the Tapestry for a much more central location. You can easily walk to sites in the centro storico.
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 08:14 PM

I will go with tracilee's recommendation regarding location. If you are looking for "review" feedback, maybe look into if they are listed on Booking.com. In order to review via Booking, one has to have a verified stay and within 12 months of their stay, so the reviews will be more "authentic" rather than just anyone off Trip Advisor or Google.
Old Jun 18th, 2024, 09:19 AM

Are you limited to either of those two Hiltons?
Old Jun 18th, 2024, 01:37 PM

The Cosmopolitan looks like its in a better location near more attractions. It also looks nicer to me.
Old Jun 19th, 2024, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Hi - for beginning of our trip we wanted to use Hilton property and will use IHG towards end of stay. We are considering Crown Plaza IHG property but are concerned it may be too far and hard to reach city center by public transportation. Other hotel suggestions are welcomed. Thank you,
Old Jun 19th, 2024, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Rome IHG Crowne Plaza ?

We are considering Rome Crown Plaza IHG property, wondering about the location, and are concerned it may be too far and hard to reach city center by public transportation? Thank you,

Last edited by donnae_b; Jun 19th, 2024 at 02:43 PM.
Old Jun 19th, 2024, 02:36 PM

Please tell us which city you are asking about.
Old Jun 19th, 2024, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

I updated post to include city, thank you.
Old Jun 19th, 2024, 04:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You might want to ask the moderators to edit your title and add a tag for Italy. As it is the thread's title just says "IHG Crowne Plaza" which could be in any city anywhere.
Old Jun 19th, 2024, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by janisj
You might want to ask the moderators to edit your title and add a tag for Italy. As it is the thread's title just says "IHG Crowne Plaza" which could be in any city anywhere.
Or combine your threads as you mentioned this Hotel on your other hotel thread

Regardless, check this or other hotels on the map in terms of proximity to attractions for what suits you best, like what was already suggested in your other thread.

Last edited by Travel_Nerd; Jun 19th, 2024 at 05:20 PM.
Old Jun 19th, 2024, 06:30 PM
Forum Moderator

We've merged your two threads, added the Italy tag, and modified the title to better reflect the topic
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 02:52 AM
J62

When in Rome, my top 3 priorities for a hotel are

Location. Location. Location

I get that you have a preference for Hilton or IHG, but for this trip consider staying walking distance from where you want to be.... For those who are early risers, there is nothing better than strolling the historic neighborhoods early in the morning, when the bakeries and cafes are just opening, the sun rising over the ancient city, street vendors setting up their stalls, all before the hordes of people on their way to work and tourists become crowds.

For those that like to dine al fresco, there is nothing better than taking a passeggiata through the piazze filled with bustling restaurants, stopping for another gelato and enjoying the sights, smells, and sounds, after the hustle and bustle of the busy day has passed.

For those that like to take a mid afternoon siesta, then it's great to be able to simply pop back to your room while your energizer bunny travel partner does their thing.

If you stay somewhere outside the immediate historic center in a chain hotel you'll miss all of that.
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 06:44 AM

I second J62s comments. If you are open to looking at non Hilton hotels maybe give us your budget and type of hotel you prefer.
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 07:49 AM

OP, how long are you going to be in Rome? And is this your first trip to Rome? Are you going anywhere else this trip?

I get the impression, unless I misunderstood, that you are intending to split your stay? First with a Hilton stay and an IHG?

I understand wanting to use points and/get more loyalty points, but sometimes, the act of doing so may not yield itself to be beneficial. Your current plan, again if I misunderstand, is to switch hotels midstay. Do you really want to spend the time (and money!) it would take to do that? No judgement, just asking. I have always found that those large chains are not always convenient in Europe - and that looks to be the case here, tbh.

If you have a lot of time in the city, then maybe this would be beneficial. But if your stay is 5 nights or less, I'd consider finding lodging that is more central and not change if you can swing it.
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 07:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If it were points thing then I might understand it.
I understand the Hilton chain in Europe has much improved
but why would you come to Rome to stay in such a place apart for some great financial deal?
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 08:16 AM
J62

I did not infer that they wanted to changed hotels, only that they had posted 2 separate threads, one for each chain that got merged by the moderators.

If the choice is go to Rome only if you can use points, ok.

If it's an opportunity, but not a must-have, then using points to stay at a chain hotel outside the city center would be penny wise.... my 2c.

Old Jun 20th, 2024, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by J62
I did not infer that they wanted to changed hotels, only that they had posted 2 separate threads, one for each chain that got merged by the moderators.

If the choice is go to Rome only if you can use points, ok.

If it's an opportunity, but not a must-have, then using points to stay at a chain hotel outside the city center would be penny wise.... my 2c.
I suppose I assumed their intention to be points and/or loyalty program based. They have not specified. It only crossed my mind based upon the use of specified brands in their posts. But, they did also ask for recommendations, too. So maybe I'm the proverbial jackass here... 🫏

OP, as mentioned upthread, if you are looking for recommendations, your budget and hotel style preferences (including amenities) will be helpful to help you.

My apologies for any misunderstanding/assumptions.
Old Jun 22nd, 2024, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

The ideal situation would be a Hilton property in Rome historic center (or) with a Hilton property with public transportation in front or near hotel where we can get directly into Rome center fast and easy.

We have several days to spend and we want to use our hotel points.

Our plans are to immerse ourselves into Rome with a side trip to the Amalfi coast.

Our only Rome visit over twenty years ago included walking Cornelia street with locals, hanging out at Spanish steps for sunsets and a lot of historic sites. Getting up early in the morning with locals in the historic center would be amazing.
Old Jun 22nd, 2024, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

We are staying several nights and want to use our Hilton points. Thank you for your help!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -