Rome, Tuscany, & Cinque Terre

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2019, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 10 days (excluding travel days) in Italy this October, and am thinking about limiting time to these three areas (Rome, Tuscany, and Cinque Terre) so we have adequate time to rest and enjoy the sights. I really wanted to visit southern Italy as well, but think that would be pushing it. We prefer to stay in smaller, family run hotels and not always be in a crowd. We would like to rent a car at least for the Tuscany area. Any suggestions?
Old Jul 21st, 2019, 04:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Is that 10 days excluding the arrival and departure days? IOW, 11 nights? Does your Tuscany time include Florence? Siena?

Ten full days really isn't much for your plan. If you could fly into Rome and out of Pisa or Florence (or the reverse), that would save time you'd lose backtracking to your arrival airport.

Rome has an incredible number of things to see, and five nights would not be too many. Tuscany is nearly 9000 square miles, and both Siena and Florence offer even more things to see. Depending on what/where is on your Tuscany agenda, five nights might be an absolute minimum. But then, you need at least 2 nights in the CT in order to have just one full day. And, depending on the time of your departing flight, you might need to spend the last night close(r) to that airport. So, do you have enough nights?

FWIW, if it was my trip, I'd drop the CT. I'd rather have enough time everywhere not to feel rushed.
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 12:38 AM

I agree completely with Jean. You really aren't "limiting" your time at all. You are really packing things in if you do all that you have planned. I would also drop the CT, not only because of your lack of time, but also because if the weather is still good it will be crowded, and if the weather is bad (which it very likely could be in October), it won't be visitable.
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 12:47 AM

I think with 11 nights, I'd choose Rome plus two places in Tuscany (at the most). Splitting time between Rome and one place in Tuscany which can be used as a base to explore the area would be more relaxing. As to which places in Tuscany, there's a heap to choose from. What would be your criteria? I agree that I'd drop Cinque Terre unless you're super keen.
Old Jul 22nd, 2019, 11:16 AM

We are leaving for a very similar trip next week. This will be our third time in Tuscany and second time in Rome. We are flying into Rome, staying there for three nights. We'll then rent a car at Rome Termini and drive to Siena for four nights. While in Siena, we will also take the bus to Florence for one day. We then are driving to Pisa to drop off the car, and taking a train to Santa Margherita Ligure (just north of Cinque Terre) for two nights. We were going to visit CT, but given the time of year, we decided instead to focus our time on the Portofino peninsula. We then fly home from Genoa. So, it can be done... I will check back when we return and let you know how rushed we felt...

I agree with the other posters that CT may be too much, especially if this is your first time to Italy. There is a ton to see and do in Rome! And Tuscany is amazing - we stayed in Montepulciano for 1 week in 2010, and day tripped from there. It was a fantastic trip If you do want to keep the three destinations, definitely look into flying home from Pisa, Florence or Genoa.