Rome - Travel with an Infant

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are travelling to Ireland and Rome with an infant (9 months) in March. I'm wondering - is it possible to only use buses and the subway? I ask, because of the car seat issue. In Ireland, we'll have a rental car, with a car seat installed from the company. But in Rome...I'm mostly concerned about to and from the airport. Our flight is too early to use the public transport - any chance a taxi company would let us install our car seat?? I'm sure others have dealt with this issue - any help is much appreciated!
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Can anyone help? Thanks!
Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 07:31 PM

There are a number of taxi and transfer services for Rome that advertise their services on the web. You can contact them and ask if they provide cars with infant seats or if you are allowed to bring your own.

Old Jul 22nd, 2008, 09:52 PM

When I went with my kids, the taxis never asked the age, size or weight of my 5-year-old and we seat-belted him. However, an infant, I suspect they would require you have a seat.

There are some limousine services recommended on this board if you do a search. Pre-ordering might be a good idea.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 12:31 AM

Hi there,

Depending on where you are staying, it is definitely possible to only use public transport or walk to most tourist destinations.
When we were there in march, our then 6 month old just sat in my lap for the taxi ride from the airport. I suppose a taxi might let you install your own car seat, but then you have to deal with dragging the car seat all over creation just for a 15 minute car ride.

I realize that it isn't the safest option, but it is what we have always done in Europe (and what we have witnessed countless others do).

Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 06:18 AM

The first question is, are you going to be bringing your own carseat or not? In most countries I have travelled with children, public taxis are exempted from complying with car seat rules. If you are concerned, I would try pre-booked car service (as opposed to the ones you hail at the rank). Within Rome itself, you can navigate easily with buses and metro.

Just one thought, do you know which airport in Rome you'll be landing? Budget airlines like Ryanair and Easyjet use Ciampino, which is closer but no rail services. Fiumicino is further away but the train service (Leonardo Express) is reliable and comfortable.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

We will be flying into Ciampino, and no, we will not have a car seat with us (the rental in Ireland has one installed, and we're planning on public transport/walking in Rome). So, the two issues are Ciampino to the apartment on arrival, and apartment to Fiumicino on departure - but I don't think public transport will be running that early (3 am). Thanks for the ideas on car service - that is probably the route we will go. I plead new mom brain that I didn't think of it myself
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 09:43 AM

ebiddix,

We used http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/ for our transfer from FCO to our Rome hotel last November. They picked us up in a basic Mercedes van, not a limo, but it was only 35E total for up to 3 people. You can arrange for higher end cars, but we simply didn't care. It was just the two of us (hubby and I) in the shuttle. The driver was very nice, as Charlotta who we originally corresponded with.

This October, we are heading back with my parents, sister, BIL and their two little daughters. I contacted Rome Shuttle limo again and they were, once again, great. They are letting us borrow a car seat for the baby at no cost.

I highly recommend them!
Julie