Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

ROME: Trastevere hotel for under 200 euros.....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Rome for 3 nights in early March. I want to stay in the Trastevere neighborhood. I have not been able to find many places for under 200 euros with a good reputation. We will pay 200 if we have to but I would like to try to stay under that since we will not be spending much time in the hotel.

Old Feb 13th, 2005, 03:34 PM

Did you look at Fodors.com?? These are ALL uder 200 Euro, courtesy of Fodors:

Trastevere
CARMEL
Via Goffredo Mameli 11, Rome 00153, Italy
Phone: 06/5809921
Fax: 06/5818853
Under EUR75
Rome's only kosher hotel sits across the Tiber from the main synagogue. Although its room furnishings are spartan, the staff is very friendly and there's a charming vine-covered terrace. There are two kitchens for use by guests keeping kosher, and prepared kosher meals can be arranged. Breakfast is offered in the snack bar next door. 10 rooms. Parking (fee). MC, V. Continental breakfast.

CISTERNA
Via della Cisterna 7-9, Rome 00153, Italy
Phone: 06/5881852
Fax: 06/65810091
EUR75 to EUR150

On a quiet street in the very heart of medieval Trastevere, this basic but comfortable hotel is ideally located for getting to know Rome's most authentic neighborhood, a favorite of artists and bohemians for decades. Beamed ceilings add a rustic touch, and there's a marble terrace-garden with a classical fountain. One room, number 40, has its own private terrace. 18 rooms. Cable TV. DC, MC, V. Continental breakfast.

HOTEL SANTA MARIA
Vicolo del Piede 2, Rome 00153, Italy
Phone: 06/5894626
Fax: 06/5894815
EUR75 to EUR225

The rooms at this lovely former convent off of a small street behind Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere are all ground-floor, surrounding a pebbled interior courtyard shaded by orange trees. Large double beds are covered in cream-color comforters, the floors are terra-cotta tiles, and the bathrooms are clean and bright, each with a shower/tub. In fair weather, breakfast or a drink in the courtyard is a real treat, with a backdrop of old Trastevere that seems more opera set than reality. www.htlsantamaria.com. 18 rooms, 2 suites. In-room safes, minibars, cable TV, bar. AE, DC, MC, V. Full breakfast.

HOTEL TRASTEVERE HOUSE
Vicolo del Buco 7, Rome 00153, Italy
Phone: 06/5883774
EUR75 to EUR150

Close to the pizzerias and bars of Viale Trastevere, yet off the beaten path in an 18th-century house tucked away on a tiny street, this bed-and-breakfast is a find. The cozy rooms are done in traditional dark wood and deep blue fabric, with wood-beam ceilings and terra-cotta floors. The owners have another hotel, Domus Tiberina, around the corner, complete with a suite with rooms, 7 with bath. Cable TV; no a/c. MC, V. Full breakfast.

TRASTEVERE
Via Luciano Manara 24-25, Rome 00153, Italy
Phone: 06/5814713
Fax: 06/5881016
EUR75 to EUR150

This tiny hotel captures the villagelike charm of the Trastevere district. The entrance hall features a mural of the famous Piazza di Santa Maria, a block away, and hand-painted art nouveau wall designs add a touch of graciousness throughout. Open medieval brickwork and a few antiques here and there complete the mood. Most rooms face Piazza San Cosimato, where there's an outdoor food market every morning except Sunday. 23 rooms. No a/c in some rooms, no phones in some rooms. AE, DC, MC, V. 3 meals.
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

I am sorry, I should have been more specific. I have looked at all the ones you mentioned. The last two (trastevere,trastevere house) did not have favorable comments. The Santa Maria is wonderful but it 200 or over for a triple. I couldn't find many comments on the Cisterna. I like the hotel Carmel. I was looking to see if anyone knew any others or had any personal experiences. Thanks....
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 06:00 PM

I don't know how much the Santa Maria will be in March, but we only paid $145 a night there in november. My wife and I. It was fantastic, a very central location, the Piazza Santa Maria is lively and fun, and walking distance to other sites across the tiber. I highly recommend the hotel, the rooms are lovely and they have a courtyard where you can sit out in the evening and have a bottle of wine before you go out.l
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 02:06 AM

I'm staying in an apartment in Trastevere right now and just booked the following bed and breakfast for friends....it's about 50 metres from Santa Maria

http://www.villafonte.com

don't know if they have any triples.

The apartment i'm renting is lovely and is $235/night.....one queen size bed and a rollaway can be set up in the living room.....here's the website

http://www.italiareservations.com/rome.htm

It says 4 nights minimum but maybe they're flexible about that....the owner's email is:

[email protected]

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 02:25 AM

I have a friend who is a Roman living here in the US, his sister lives in Trastevere. I'll ask him his opinion.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 03:42 AM

klpizzo,
Got it. Have not stayed in Trastevere, but it is known for be a less expensive area. Your 200 Euro ($260 US) budget is quite adequate. You should have no problem. Best of luck.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked into the Villa Fonte and it looks great. They don't have triples but I am looking into the cheapest single and the cheapest double. I also emailed the Santa Maria and am hoping for a special. The Hotel Carmel wants full payment in cash on arrival. I don't think that is normal and I don't like it. The reason I wanted to stay in Trastevere is because it looks like a unique neighborhood packed with culture and great food! Am I right?
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 07:20 AM

I'll be staying at Villa della Fonte in June. It gets great reviews. Make sure to report back with your impressions wherever you stay. Have a great time!
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 07:38 AM

klpizzo,
Yes, it's one of many unique Roman neighborhoods packed with culture and great food. Enjoy.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 08:16 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
I got 45 Euro off per night by saying I read about the hotel in Rick Steves' Rome and/or Italy book. To get the discount, you have to bring the book.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 08:17 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
I must have been up too early. It would help to tell you that I got that offer at Santa Maria.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 01:52 PM

Hi there! We stayed at the Santa Maria for less than 200, I cant remeber the exact amount. But you do get a discount if you mention rick steve's book or if you pay cash you get 7(or10)% discount. It is worth it. It is a lovely, quiet and beautiful hotel.
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

I decided to stay at the Santa Maria, but their triple rooms are booked and it is way over our budget to get a double and a single. I also tried the San Francesco and it is booked. Any other suggestions? Thanks again to all who are helping!!
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 03:19 PM

I would re-consider the Cisterna, it is after all a Fodor's pick. The fact that you couldn't find reviews may reflect it's small size and may just be undiscovered. It sounds great.

To be honest you are unlikely to find a place that is well known and very popular since you leave in only a few weeks. Most of the place probably filled up months ago. I would look again at Fodors and other trusted travel guides and don't wait any more - reserve SOMETHING.

Here is another resource for budget, well reviewed, hotels in Rome:

http://www.eurocheapo.com/rome/
Old Feb 16th, 2005, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Hi.....I checked into the Cisterno on Fodors and the ratings were not favorable. I would not usually be as picky, but I am traveling with my mother. I have a request into Villa Fonte for a double and a single. I am going to reserve something in the next 2 days. Thanks for the help.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 03:27 AM

Re Cisterno....talked to someone who stayed there last week....weren't very impressed but don't have specifics.

My friends are arriving tomorrow (staying at Villa Fonte) - I'll post impressions ASAP although I have been there and looked at the rooms and it's very nice and very clean....but small rooms of course. And maximum of 27 stairs up to the rooms if that's an issue for your party
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

I am still waiting on a reply from the Villa Fonte. It looks nice on the site. I am not sure I will find anything in Trastevere, most things are booked or don't have a triple. Any other great neighborhood suggestions? I want to be somewhere that isn't all tourists close to great restaurants and cafes....
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone have any information on this hotel, Grand Hotel del Gianicolo?

Thanks
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 05:18 PM

Maitaitom - thanks for the Santa Maria tip. Myself and a girlfriend have been eyeing off the hotel for sometime - the website is gorgeous, but it was a little out of my budget. Now I just have to try pick up a Rick Steves in Australia! PS: Re threads on Trastevere roughians and ugliness in general - are two females likely to feel very safe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -