Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome Tour - Scala Reale - Too detailed for first time novice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2004, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on my research and the help of fodors.com, I have decided that the Scala Reale walking tours of Rome appear to be the most professional, smallest and probably the best tour. However, for someone who has only a fair ("fair" might be too generous) grasp of Roman history, would I find myself out of place on those tours?

Thanks for the help!
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 04:35 AM

The Scala Reale experience is not a haughty one. Even though their docents are intellectuals, you will not feel pressure to know or be quizzed about anything.

However, the more background information you have an anything unfamiliar, the better the experience with an expert. This holds particularly true with areas like the Forum and the Palatine Hill.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 05:35 AM

I would think a smater tour would be better than a dumbed down one anytime. IMHO - most tours guides play to the least common denominator - and assume the entire group has never gone beyond 7th grade.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 05:48 AM

Hi
The docents may be scholars, but they don't expect the tour participants to be the same, just interested in learning something about history, architecture, and/or art. I've found their guides to be entertaining as well as learned, and not at all pretentious.
My guide to the Forum/Collosseum expounded at one point (he was encouraged by us) to discuss the truths and falsehoods in the film "Gladiator."
It also helps that they are native English-speakers. I've had guides in other venues who may have been learned but their English was incomprehensible.
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 02:08 PM

I just returned from Rome and had two tours with Scala Reale while we were there (the Vatican and the Ancient City). They were excellent, and not at all "highbrow" or otherwise intimidating.

HOWEVER, I do feel that the word needs to get out that these are long and in-depth tours. I'm not sure how it is that I wasn't prepared for a four-hour experience (since the literature tells you that's exactly what it is), but I found myself exhausted and just shy of overwhelmed by the end of each. You're on your feet for nearly the whole time, and are engaged and learning constantly. We thoroughly enjoyed the experience, but I'm not sure we could have lasted a minute more.

These tours ARE all they are cracked up to be-- just be sure that isn't more than you want or expect!
Old Oct 14th, 2004, 04:08 PM

dwzemens;
Well, do something about it and get entertained in the meantime. Rent or buy "I, Claudius" it is the story of the Emperor Claudius and details the beginning of imperial Rome from the Emperor Augustus through to Nero. The movie is based on a book of the same name by Robert Graves and last about 700 minutes over 10-12 episodes. It cost $71 from Amazon. Even one docent asked the group if we had seen the movie?..

Don?t get caught up in the details of the royal family just get to know the Emperors and you should be well versed on the tour.

Greg