Search

Rome to Venice by train or air?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2004, 08:45 AM
JAB
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome to Venice by train or air?

Would you recommend taking a train or flight from Rome to Venice on a Sunday?

Do you recommend booking in advance?
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 09:36 AM

I would do the train and I would stop in Florence for a few hours or a day if you have never been there before. I have found that train reservations have not been necessary unless it is a holiday weekend or you are reserving a berth. You could in fact take the first train to Florence, spend a good 1/2 day there, and take a late express train to Rome.
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 10:56 AM

If you have time concerns, I recommend the plane. The train ride is 4.5+ hours.
When I flew from Rome to Venice the flight was less than an hour, I took a flight around 7am (on a weekday), and I only had to be at the airport about an hour in advance, which included checking luggage.
At the time, the one-way fare was about $100 US, but exchange rates were better.
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 11:04 AM

Another thing to consider, however, is that the airports are significantly further from town than the train stations, so flying would mean more time, money, and effort getting to the town center.
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 11:24 AM
rex

If you've just arrived at the airport in Rome, incoming from a flight there from somewhere else - - they flying is probably a far better choice.

If you have been in Rome for a few days, and are willing to plan your day around the train departure(s), then plan it around a mealtime to be able to kill two birds with one stone (transportation and eating lunch or dinner). It won't be the MOST memorable meal you have (and it's overpriced) - - but it's definitely decent, with satisfactory-or-better white table cloth service.

Book 4-48 hours in advance.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 11:26 AM
ira

Hi JAB,

It's at least 1/2 hr from Rome to the airport, 1 hr to fly and about 1 hr to get from Venice airport to Venice after you wait to get your luggage.

The train takes 4:30 hr and cost 45E.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 08:16 AM

I also would book the Eurostar for this trip. The ride is pleasant and once you arrive in Venice you will be much more centrally located, as a previous poster pointed out. Also, I think you will save a lot of $$ if this is important.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 09:04 AM
GAC

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...ome+and+venice

Eurostar train service between Rome and Venice runs every two hours, beginning very early in the morning. Travel time is 4.5 hours, so you could arrive before lunchtime.

Try to book your seats the day beforehand, to ensure you travel on your train of first choice.

Second class is usually fine, unless you have a great deal of luggage and/or prefer less a less congested environment.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 09:10 AM
GAC

Correction to my posting "Two types of trains between Rome and Venice":

Effective December 12, 2004, the seat reservations deadline for any IC or ICplus train in Italy is now the actual departure time of the train from the city of boarding (no longer three hours prior to departure time from city of train origination). Thus, the reservations deadline for IC and ICplus trains is now exactly the same as for ES trains. However, you must pay 3 Euros for a seat reservation on an IC or ICplus train, and reservations are optional (seats 71-86 in each railcar are usually kept open for those travellers NOT holding a seat reservation).

Without a seat reservation, there is a chance that you may have to stand for all or part of your trip on an IC or ICplus train, particularly if travelling in second class during heavy travel periods.

By contrast, every seat on an ES train is sold on a reserved basis, so there is absolutely no chance of anybody having to stand or any part of the trip.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 09:14 AM
rex

For what it's worth, GAC, this is the shorter (and sufficient) URL for the thread you cite:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34520676
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:49 AM

I would definitely take the train. The train stations are more accessible in both Rome and Venice than the airports. Plus, you could always stop in Florence on the way up...highly recommended!
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:16 AM
MTU

I will be traveling to Europe (Paris, Rome, Italy & Denmark in July) for the first time and with 2 infants.

1) Should I bring both carseats or rent and are they mandated by the above countries as in US. (minimze on luggage Question) Planning to just bring Umbrella Stroller & Baby BJorn.
2) Trains from Rome to Venice then back to Rome (Tourist Season-availability Question): Should I reserve train tickets now or can I buy them while I'm in Rome?
3) Necessities to bring that may help the trip less hectic?
4) Fun places to visit relating to small children.

Thank you for your suggestions that will make the trip more pleasant.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:25 AM

MTU, you should probably start an entirely new post with your question. In any case, you say infants, are there older (yet still small) kids as well. I don't think fun things to do with small children will necessarily entertain infants.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 03:17 PM
MTU

MFNYC: Thank you! I'm traveling with a 23 mos & 5 mos old boys. Wanting to know family friendly places for small kids to do in those countries as this will be my first time in Europe.