Stay Away/ Comfort Inn Prague

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stay Away/ Comfort Inn Prague

It is a den of thieves. We had an early AM flight and checked in Hotel (5 of us) at 6:00 PM, went for quick dinner 1 1/2 hours because we had to be at airport at 4:00 AM. When we checked in there were 2 or 3 unsavory looking people hanging around the lobby watching every move we made. We wanted to leave and find another hotel but there were none near the airport. When we returned, our two rooms were entered with a key,not forced entry, and everything electronic was stolen. Laptop, 3 cell phones,camera,watch,and some jewelry. The bags were neatly placed where we left them (they left all of the carrying cases, clothes, etc.) When we reported to the mgmt., all of a sudden nobody understood English( 1 1/2 hours earlier they did very well) The desk clerk did tell us that this happens a lot? Sometimes they come through the window(we were on 6th floor) or the guests do not lock their rooms/ Haha. They have NO security cameras, nobody knew the people who were hanging out about the lobby, and we saw definite fear in the two young desk clerks eyes, as if someone was watching them. We are still waiting for the police report(they need to translate it, and I am not sure if the officer knows why he was summoned)While we were talking to the mgr. an English group told us that their room was also rifled the night before. BOTTOM LINE , SLEEP IN YOUR CAR BEFORE YOU STAY AT THE NO COMFORT INN_ PRAGUE!!!!!Still mafia controlled.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:55 AM

whoah!
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 12:00 PM

I would be writing a letter to Comfort Inn and demanding reimbursement for the stolen items.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the heads up.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 12:46 PM

Hello Irurel, since is appears this is your very first post on Fodor's (correct me if I am wrong and guide me to your other threads/posts) I am wondering why your first post on Fodor's is regarding a hotel you had a problem with.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Please review this hotel on TripAdvisor and also post on the Prague Forum there.

Old Jun 13th, 2006, 01:04 PM

Well, LoveItaly you have to start <b>somewhere</b> or would you have preferred they not tell us about this at all?
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 07:35 PM

My first post was about a rotten hotel. I bet you can't guess my complaint.

I agree with contacting the home office of the hotel.

If that doesn't work, did you lose enough to merit a homeowner's insurance claim?
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 08:54 PM

True Intrepid, but in that the poster never posted anything before..I am just wondering. But no problem.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 12:28 AM

I have to ask - if the situation was so dodgy why on earth would you leave camera, mobile phones and jewellery in a hotel room. I can understand maybe not wanting to lug a lap top around, but truly talk about not taking responsibility for your own belongings. Sorry to sound harsh but that was my first reaction to the post. A sad state of affairs I agree, a good heads up.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 06:27 AM

It's perhaps one of those zillions of silent Fodors majority who read things but never post...until irked by some such terrible happening like the hotel. Let's keep topping this so all can read about the Comfort Inn's absolute irresponsibility in providing secure rooms.
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 03:31 PM

Horrid! Curious, was there not even a wall safe? sorry abt that experience
Old Jun 15th, 2006, 07:39 PM

I think the lesson learned is that if you see &quot;unsavory&quot; people watching your every move, DO NOT leave valuables in your room! Is this the only Comfort Inn in Prague? What is the location? Chain hotels are popping up all over that city now, so I wasn't even aware that there was a Comfort Inn there! In any case, one could find alternative lodging in the Prague 10 area &amp; still get a taxi to the airport &amp; make it on time. That hotel sounds too scary to take a chance.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 07:59 AM

ttt
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 09:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
While this theft is a shame, it can also serve as a reminder that you really shouldn't leave valuable like jewelry, watch, and electronics unsecured in a hotel room.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 10:07 AM

Wow..Thanks for posting this !
I do wish rooms would have a safe large enough to put stuff like cameras and laptops instead of those little things; which are I suppose better than nothing.
Muck
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 10:33 AM

....although I was staying in a extended residence place in Prague &amp; my safe was stuck closed... called front desk for help, and they came with the &quot;master&quot; safe card. Opened it in 1 sec. So... if it's an inside job, a safe seemingly makes NO difference (the swipe card kind, at least). Who knows if other safes might have a default # that anyone can open. Hmmm..
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 10:50 AM

whoa!

thanks for the warning!

although... I wonder why you would leave cell phones, jewellery and watches in a hotel room if there are dodgy characters loitering in the lobby.

on third thought: if there is a single object I would NEVER leave in a hotel room, it's my cell phone: last lifeline to summon help. always carry it along, wherever you go.

how did your insurance handle the theft?
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Sent letters to Comfort Inn/Choice Hotels in US who are &quot;looking into it&quot; but did state that they are all franchises overseas and did not know what they could do. Have also sent 2 emails to the hotel manager who has yet to respond or acknowledge receipt.
This is the only Comfort Inn in Prague. As we live in Florida and our homeowners insurance company has gone out of business because of last years hurricanes, most of Fl does not have coverage at this moment. Normally would not leave anything of value in room but as we were across the street having dinner we thaought that we were safe for that time period.loveitaly-My only interest in the post was to warn travelers about a very bad experience and the lack of mangagment skills(so far) that Choice/Comfort Inns has chosen to take.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:20 PM

Hi irturel, I understand!

irturel, it is not just lower price hotels with theft problems. There was an article in the SF Chronical the other day regarding thefts at a couple of the top SF hotels.

In one case a fellow obtained a master key by convincing the hotel that he was there to check out the hotel for a convention or something. He was seen by hotel security via their video cameras entering somelike 9 different hotel rooms and taking laptops and other items. The hotel did not advise the hotel guest that their items were stolen. Security &quot;caught&quot; this man and they then returned the items to the various hotel rooms (all hotel guest were not in their rooms at the time) without notifying the guest as to what happened.

I can't remember how the SFPD found out about this..but an investigation is evidently be held.

The article said another &quot;top&quot; hotel in SF had had a similar problem..one of their employees was involved in that one. The second hotel handled it the same way the first hotel did.

So no matter where one stays or how expensive the hotel is I would encourage everyone to not leave anything out in their room that they don't want stolen.

That is one reason I never take my laptop with me on a trip, as much as I would enjoy having. I just don't want the hassle of it. Best regards.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -