Rome to Sorrento

Old Apr 1st, 2017, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Rome to Sorrento

We are 6 Australian adults needing to get from Rome airport to Sorrento in April 2017. We wonder whether hiring a minivan with driver would be easier and / or cheaper than catching the train as we will each have a suitcase. It looks like the train would involve 3 legs: Rome airport to Rome termini, then to Naples, then a third train to Sorrento. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thank you
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 04:25 PM

A driver will run around 400€, perhaps a bit more. Yes, the train would involve 3 legs, but it isn't that difficult. The Leonardo Express departs Rome FCO every 30 minutes and travel time to Rome Termini is about 30 minutes (14€). The fast trains between Rome/Naples take 1:10 (about 45€). The Circumvesuviana train (you catch it downstairs from where you arrive at Naples trains station) between Naples/Sorrento departs every 30 minutes and takes about 70-75 minutes (about 4€).
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 06:17 PM

To add to kybourbon's advice, trenitalia are showing even cheaper fares on trenitalia for late April. And tickets for the whole journey airport to Naples, changing in Tiburtina instead of Termini, are cheaper again. It's often cheaper to purchase tickets in advance, on the frecce trains, in which case you get an allocated seat. These have restricted change and cancellation conditions though, and that may not suit you if your flight is delayed. It might be best to not prepurchase if that's the case. No need to prepurchase regionale train tickets.

Sometimes it's easiest to use the automated (and multi-lingual) ticket kiosks at the train stations. I've sometimes found that there is a train departing soon which is substantially cheaper than the train departing next.

With regard to luggage, I've found it easier to have two small bags rather than one large one: same capacity but easier to lift and manage, and even more so if one is s day pack on your back. Small bags can also be often slipped between/under seats or in the overhead racks.
Old Apr 1st, 2017, 08:03 PM

If you fit it into your budget, go with the driver. With six passengers, it's almost cost-effective, and will save you the hassle of the trains with luggage. There are many drivers recommended on this forum. We used drivers from GUEMAR TRAVEL based in Sorrento. E-mail is: [email protected]. Excellent, reliable, drivers, and a much more relaxing way to travel especially after such long flights to Italy
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 02:11 AM

€400 divided by six people is about €67 per person, which is not more more than the prices quoted by kybourbon for the train. It's true you can get cheaper tickets by advanced purchase, but these discounted tickets are totally nonrefundable. If your flight arrives late, or if one of the six suitcases doesn't arrive, you'll be throwing a lot of money away with nonrefundable tickets. A reputable driver will allow for delays in flight arrivals, and you'll be sure that your ride will be waiting for you.

Actually, €400 sounds a bit low to me, but even if it's more, I think the convenience is worth a fair amount of extra expenditure.

I would also check with the following two services:

http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/?lang=it

http://www.romecabs.com/

A reliable company may ask for a deposit for such a long trip and large group, but they shouldn't ask for the entire payment up front.
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 06:41 AM

It's a simple fact that taking the three trains on the day of arrival, with luggage, is a hassle -- and then you must get from the Sorrento station to your hotel. It's not insurmountable, but I wouldn't call it easy, either.

It all depends on your budget and level of convenience desired. The driver option is going to be quicker and much easier. What's it worth to you to step off the plane and have someone waiting for you to take you to your hotel door? Only you can and the members of your group can answer that.
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 06:42 AM

(Sorry, hit "submit" too soon.)

You might consider a the hybrid, money-saving option of using trains to get to Naples, and having a driver pick you up there. That should cost you no more than about 100 euros for the driver.
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 02:48 PM

>>>€400 divided by six people is about €67 per person<<<

400€ was a ballpark. The OP would need to check prices.

>>>And tickets for the whole journey airport to Naples, changing in Tiburtina instead of Termini, are cheaper again.<<<

Getting to Tiburtina from FCO will take longer than getting from FCO to Termini, but it does cost a few euro less (8€). The trains depart more often (every 15 minutes). There's also the Marozzi bus from Tiburtina to Sorrento, but usually only once per day (sometimes twice) and times don't work out for most people. The Marozzi bus Rome/Sorrento takes about 4 hours.

http://www.marozzivt.it/home

>>>It's not insurmountable, but I wouldn't call it easy, either.<<<

I've done it several times, but I'm familiar with all the stations/transport/towns.

>>>You might consider a the hybrid, money-saving option of using trains to get to Naples, and having a driver pick you up there. That should cost you no more than about 100 euros for the driver.<<<

There are set taxi fees from Naples to town on the coast (Sorrento, Amalfi, Positano, etc.) so drivers typically charge similar. The set fee for taxis is 100€ Naples/Sorrento, but you must ask the taxi driver for the set fee. With 6 people, you might need more than a minivan to fit your luggage. The taxi minivans I've been in Italy are typically smaller than US minivans.
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 03:31 PM

CircumVesuviana trains are commuter trains going thru densely populated areas - at rush hours can be crowded (always fairly crowded times I've been on it- but have not been in recent years) -there are a few new express trains on it I understand.
Old Apr 7th, 2017, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

You Guys have all been fantastic, thanks so much. All of this information has been useful. FYI, quotes on a driver varied from 400 to 750 Euros, the cheapest being guemartravel which was suggested by one of you. So that's what we're doing. Thanks again