Rome to Positano and back in day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2017, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to be checking into our hotel in Rome around 11am. Can we get to Positano or Pompeii and back to the hotel by 10pm?
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 05:10 AM

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...o-positano.cfm

Above post has just about everything you need to know.
IMHO, Positano as a daytrip from Rome, not departing for the trip until nearly noon is a terrible idea.
Google travel time from Rome to Positano.
When is the trip? Important to know because ferries may/may not be running, so may limit possibilities.
Train from Rome to Naples, then private driver to Positano might be best.
Train times Rome to Naples may limit possibilities.
Consider a private driver to pick you up at your hotel and take you RT. It will cost a bundle and drive time is around 7&1/2 hours RT, but it would be door to door.
Are you arriving in Rome from a flight? From where? Will you have jet lag?
If you are going to be in Rome a few days, take a different day for this trip, alter your plan to spend 2 or 3 days on the AC, or skip it altogether.

Pompeii is doable, but still a lot of travel time.
You can take the train to Naples and hire a driver.
You can take the train to Naples and then the local Circumvesuvianna train to Pompeii.
Add in time getting from your hotel to the train and you have at least 2+ hours travel time each way.
That puts you in Pompeii early to mid-afternnoon, OK in cool weather, not in hot weather.
So, once again, when is the trip?

Can you do Pompeii a different day than arrival day?
Do you plan on both Pompeii and Positano during this trip? If so, it would definitely be better to stay a couple of days in that area.
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 07:29 AM

Consider a private driver to pick you up at your hotel and take you RT. It will cost a bundle and drive time is around 7&1/2 hours RT, but it would be door to door>

Great post by sass!

Is it worth several hundred bucks probably to do that? Better IMO to look at online videos of Positano.

Either stay there or forget it.
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 08:02 AM

You can do it and a private driver would be the most expedient way. I don't recommend it. It is such a short time and Positano should be savored, I think. It is gorgeous and the coastal views are spectacular but you would not have time to really see or do much while there.
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 08:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're checking in "around 11am", it's going to be 11:30 at the earliest before you're ready to leave. That gives you 10 1/2 hours to drive about 170 miles out and 170 miles back = 340 miles with a total drive time of between seven and a half to eight hours. That gives you two and a half hours in Positano, without traffic problems anywhere en route.

A driver and car will cost well over 750 euros return. Is that worthwhile to you?
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 09:55 AM

If you are arriving by train to Rome, the more efficient thing to do would be to NOT check into your hotel, but instead switch trains for a train to Napoli and stow your luggage in the Napoli train station. Then either take another train to Pompeii or take a taxi to Positano.

If you take a taxi to Positano then you can take one back, of course, but also look at the ferry schedules to see if you can leave Positano by ferry in time to get to either Sorrento docks or Naples docks in time to get back to Naples train station, pick up your luggage and catch the last train leaving Naples that gets you to Rome by 10pm.

If you are doing this trip between now & the end of September you need to realize that (a) Pompeii will be a furnace of heat if you are arriving midday and (b) that if you go to Positano, crowds forming lines trying to use the transportation options -- bus, ferry and taxis -- might hang you up to the point you cannot back in time to make the train out of Naples to Rome. As much as possible, you need to book your return transportation in advance.

If you are flying into Rome, you can't be sure your plane will land on time, but if you are determined to make this trek, get a car service to take you to Termini station in Rome and get on a train to Napoli.
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Oh my.. I'm overwhelmed at everyone's kindness... with everything you've offered, I think we'll We're going to leave Positano for a future trip. We'll do a bit of walking in Rome the first day and sign up for the half day trip to Pompeii on the second day. It leaves from Rome on the express train to Naples, picks up a shuttle to Pompeii and then picks up a guide in Pompeii. We leave at 7:10am and get back around 3. A little more than I thought I'd spend, but it's worth it.

Thank you all for your valuable feedback. I was surely packing more into a day than was possible.
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 01:14 PM

You could easily do Pompeii by train yourself in about 3 hrs each way and pick up tours from the staff at Pompeii - or do it yourself.
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 02:04 PM

You absolutely do not need an expensive tour from Rome to Pompeii!
Believe me, it is super easy to do on your own.
Catch an early train from Rome to Naples, to the Napoli Centrale station.
The Circumvesuvianna station is on the lower level.
Buy a ticket and walk downstairs. Catch the train to Pompeii Scavi.
If you want a guide, hire one at the entrance to Pompeii.
I haven't done it, but there are audio programs you can download and you may be able to rent an audio at the entrance.
There are some really good DIY walking tours of Pompeii.

You will not be tied to anyone else's schedule. You can have more or less time at Pompeii. You could even stop in Naples for an hour or two.
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 02:17 PM

Agree with these comments. Driving round trip to Positano for a quick glimpse at the sea is not a good idea.

If going to Pompeii, the archeological museum in Naples is highly recommended.
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 06:49 PM

Here's the problem. Once you make the trip, you won't want to go back! Seriously, leave it for another time when you have at least a few days to spend there.
Old Jul 16th, 2017, 01:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can rent an audio guide at the entrance to Pompeii at Pompeii Scavi. Alternatively there are official guides at the entrance who will put a group together as people arrive and you can join a group that suits you.

It's a lot easier using the trains as the Circumvesuviana train drops you opposite the entrance to the ruins. As mentioned, it's a lot cheaper than taking arranged trips from Rome and if you've had enough at any point you can simply leave. Be sure to take headgear and plenty of water.
Old Jul 16th, 2017, 02:45 PM

We did that tour leaving at 7am and got back about 8pm and were absolutely exhausted. Never been so tired. I would not recommend it if your leaving that late.