Private Drive from Positano to Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2003, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Positano during the last leg of our Italian trip next year. We have an 11:30 a.m. flight out of Rome to Chicago but don't want to spend the last night in Rome (want to maximize our time in Positano!). Does anyone have any experience with hiring a private driver to take you from Positano to Rome airport to catch a flight at 11:30? How early would we have to leave Positano? How long would it take for that drive on a Sunday morning (more or less of course) and how much would a driver cost? There are four adults in our party and we want convenience vs. money savings for this particular trip. In other words, we want to stay in Positano as long as possible and not have to go back to Rome the night before to catch our flight since we will have been in Rome for 1 week before our Positano stay.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 02:04 PM

You need to be at the ROME airport a bare minimum of 2 hours prior to flight--

So If your flight is 11:30 am, you need to check in by 9:30 am... Unless you want to get up at the crack of dawn to get to the ROME airport, I would seriously suggest staying either in ROME or near the ROME airport the nite before...

If you have NOT purchased your airline tkts, you may want to look into flying INTO ROME and OUT of NAPLES as Naples is closer to Positano...
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 02:29 PM

Positano to FCO will take between three and four hours. I don't think that you will have to worry about traffic at that time in the morning. If you are willing to be up and out of the hotel by 5:30 or 6:00 am, then you can go ahead with the plan for a private driver. I would think a trip like that is going to cost somewhere around $400.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 02:34 PM

I agree with Andy. Your best bet is to fly home out of Naples, if possible.

Otherwise, I'd alot 3 hours, conservatively, to be driven from Positano to Rome. Your hotel can probably arrange a driver for you, or you can hire your own.

We used Giovanni Gargiulo of Tour of Italy (www.tourofitaly.com). He was prompt, funny, and spoke perfect English. You can contact him directly at [email protected]. You may also get a better deal with him if you book him for your trip TO Positano (either from Rome or Naples).

Old Dec 11th, 2003, 04:30 AM
ira

Hi maggy,

As noted, you should be at the airport no later than 9:30 (9:00 is better). You will need to leave between 5:00 - 5:30.

It will cost about 400E for a private driver.

We used Renato Cuomo (www.cuomonet.it ) between Naples and Praiano, and can recommend him highly.
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 08:46 AM

Hi Maggy,

Unfortunately, your best bet may be overnighting in Rome. I think it's too nervewracking and exhausting to get up at the crack of dawn for an 11:30 transatlantic flight. You could check into flying out of Naples, as another poster recommended, but as far as I know, there are no non-stop flights to the U.S. from Naples. This means a stopover and switch of planes, probably in London.

You asked about a driver , and the one we've often used and loved is Giovanni Gargiulo at tourofitaly.com. He is quite a character, but wonderful company, reliable, and speaks English very well. We've driven with him from Positano to Rome,(with a stop in Pompeii) and back. Depending on traffic, the trip time is about 3 hours.

If you need to overnight again in Rome, there's a hotel whose name I don't remember ( HELP!) located on the sea, and about half an hour from the airport. It's supposed to be a magnificent place, and maybe this could make for a great last night in Italy. I hope somebody else here can supply the name. In the meantime, I'll search my files for it!

Good luck, and have a wonderful time in Positano!