Rome to Positano

Search

Rome to Positano

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome to Positano

I have a wonderful trip to Rome planned and then will spend 3 nights in Positano. What is the best way to get to Positano from Rome? I hear buses are awful, so I'm thinking some combo of train or hydrofoil or?? What do you think? And what is the best way to arrange? Also, any romantic restaurants in Rome or Positano you love? And how did you reserve from afar?

Thanks! Annealex
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 10:14 AM

You can train to Naples, taxi to the port, hydrofoil over in the summer months.

Or you can train to Naples and have a driver pick you up (don't take a taxi) to Positano.

Or you can take the train to Naples, the Circumvesuviana train to Sorrento and then a bus or driver (again don't take a taxi) to Positano.

Taxi's are extremely expensive in that area.

Rick Steves list drivers and other people have mentioned drivers on Fodors.

You can't make reservations for the hydrofoil. Trains you can get when you arrive there. A driver you can contact on the internet.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 10:49 AM

I agree with Ann1's suggestions, it is best to take a train down from Rome's Termini station to Naples, then a boat to Positano. Viewing the Amalfi Coast from a boat is just breath-taking and the approach up to Positano from the water can't be beat.

Taxis and car/limo services are just too expensive and you don't want to be ripped off. I would stick with the public transportation (train and boat) and you will get to Positano just fine.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 11:02 AM
jmp

We did the same thing (Rome-Positano)back in October. We took the train to Naples and then our hotel had arranged for a car to pick us up and drive us to the hotel.

There are some interesting restaurants in Trastevere (sp) in Rome that were recommended. (i will look them up and get back to you - one had a listing of wines that was not to be believed)

In the Positano area, we ate at Donna Rosa in Montepertuso (pardon my spelling - my memory is failing). It was very good (highly recommended by this board) - great service, great food, definately romantic.

We made reservations when we checked into the hotel and had no problems, but that was in October and it wasn't too crowded.

I don't know if you enjoy walking tours, but I highly recommend tours when in Rome given by Scala Reale -(i think it is www.scalareale.com). The guides are terrific and really made our trip that much more memorable.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the info!
Annealex