Rome to Pompeii Day Trip

Search

Rome to Pompeii Day Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2019, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome to Pompeii Day Trip

We will be traveling to Rome in Novermber, arriving on a Thursday afternoon and leaving the following Tuesday morning.
Am I trying to squeeze too much in to take a day trip on Sunday to Pompeii. It's a long day -- is it that much more
interesting and worthwhile than what we'll see in Rome in general?
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 12:43 PM

Consider Ostia as a much closer alternative.

https://www.italymagazine.com/featur...-other-pompeii

https://www.romanports.org/en/articl...ompei-eng.html

If you still want to do Pompei as a day trip from Rome, here is the nitty-gritty:

https://www.seat61.com/places-of-int...to-pompeii.htm
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 01:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would need all of the four full days to see Rome. I've spent nearly a month in Rome over several trips and still haven't seen everything that interests me. You may have a different sightseeing list, but I suggest you seriously think about what you want to see/do while you're in Rome before considering day trips.

I would definitely not go to Pompeii if rain is in the forecast. If you didn't know, almost all of the valuable artifacts and relics uncovered at Pompeii are housed at the archeology museum in Naples. I didn't find the ruins at Ostia Antica nearly as easy to interpret as Pompeii (which I found fascinating BTW). There isn't much in the way of informative signage, no audio guides. Some of the paths are very uneven, and it's another place I wouldn't go to in the rain.
If I went to Ostia Antica again, I'd go on an organized tour.

If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend getting reservations for the Scavi tour under St. Peter's and/or Domus Aurea near the Colosseum.

Excavations office

https://www.througheternity.com/en/r...urea-tour.html
[There may be other companies offering similar tours.]
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 01:54 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with the suggestion to visit Ostia Antica. With just 4 days to see everything it just makes much more sense, is a VERY pleasant place for a relaxed outing, interesting & close by, much better than hours of your precious time on a train & a rushed visit to Pompeii. Go there when you can relax for several days in the Naples area.
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 04:14 PM

There is so much to see in Rome, even if you spend the whole time there, you will only scratch the surface. I have been there 10 times for somewhere around 80 days total. 😀 I'm returning in September and most of my list is things I haven't seen yet!
So, make a list of what you want to do in Rome and see if you really think you have time to go to Pompeii. As already noted, Ostia Antica is a good alternative.
As to whether Pompeii is worth more than what you can see in Rome, that's up to you.

Last edited by SusanP; Jul 30th, 2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 07:20 PM

Italo has a simpler ticket option/trip for Pompeii than the one described in the Seat61 link.

Obviously the choice will depend on your interests but with only four days I'd stick to Rome.
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 03:32 AM

"Italo has a simpler ticket option/trip for Pompeii than the one described in the Seat61 link."

What is that? Could you give a link? Or explain it briefly?
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 04:12 AM

The announcement is no longer on the Italo website but basically.

On the Italo booking site for departure pick train (that's the left part of the screen) and Rome Termini Not Tiburtina the early train leaves from Termini. Then for the To on the right side of the box you'll see a list of cities. Those are bus stops. Pick Pompeii. Select your date and search.

What will pop up is a combined offer. Train from Rome to Naples Afragola. Then a bus to Pompeii.

Problem is it seems to sell well enough that if you don't book well in advance prices can be pretty high. It's starts at just over €21 one way without any promo code. But Italo usually runs at least a small sale every weekend.

If you're leaving afternoon for an overnight either Rome station will work. You don't even need to start in Rome but obviously the long day gets even longer.
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 04:36 AM

Just MHO, but I would not make that trip unless I had time to include some of the Amalfi Coast, Herculaneum and Naples. Those are all as worthy as Pompeii.
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 06:29 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
You do not have time for Pompeii. Save it for a trip to Naples, Amalfi Coast.