Rome to Pisa day trip by train - exactly how crazy is this

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all. We leave for Rome in 2.5 weeks (Nov. 15), and my husband indicated this morning that he'd like to see Pisa, if possible. (He didn't realize that it's much closer to Florence than Rome.) In planning our trip and with our limited time, we decided to do 6 nights in a Rome hotel (already paid) instead of spending an overnight somewhere else. We also had thought we'd like one day in the countryside for a change of pace from our Roman site-seeing.

So, (1) is heading to Pisa and back by train in one day ridiculous, infeasible or simply not worth it? (2) Is the train ride from Rome to Pisa in the least bit scenic? (3) I know people warn against driving in Italy, but is driving to Pisa and back in ONE day in any way a better, easier, quicker, more scenic, or otherwise superior idea?

Many thanks!
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 10:57 AM

I would not recommend driving to Pisa.
I know that the train to Florence is fast and easy. Train travel is wonderful in Italy...
But, to answer your question...I have been to Pisa and frankly, it is not worth the trip unless your husband is "really" set on seeing Pisa. The tower is basically held up a by a crane.

For a day trip consider Florence or Assisi (we are planning Orvieto for a day trip on our upcoming trip in February). We are also considering a day trip to Pompeii.

A few years back we took a day tour (by bus) to the south and saw Naples, took the boat to Capri, and went to the Blue Grotto, then to Sorento. It was a quick trip and very touristy but we all enjoyed it.

Old Oct 29th, 2006, 11:05 AM

If it were me, I wouldn't want to go all the way to Pisa on a day trip. It's going to take you at least 3 hours to get there by train (don't know time by car). Check out www.trenitalia.com for times and durations of journeys by train in Italy.
I haven't been to Pisa myself (have been to Florence and Rome), and I'd like to see it, but I've heard the Leaning Tower is really the only thing there. Now, if you were in Florence, wanting to day trip, I would say, based on advice I've been given, you could hit Pisa and another small Tuscan town and have a nice full day. Of course it's your trip, and you could do some research and find out what else is in Pisa that would make it worth your while. It would be great if you could cancel even one night with your hotel in Rome and spend a couple days train-ing around Tuscany. Even better would be if you were flying out of somewhere like Florence and wouldn't have to make the trek back to Rome.
Have you already checked into more feasible daytrips from Rome, like Pompeii? If not, that would be the thing to do.
Rome is one of my favorite cities ever, and I think I could spend weeks there happily, without wanting to see anything else. However I understand your desire to get a taste of other cities too. Check into that website and look at a guidebook to find somewhere closer that interests you and your husband, is my advice. Have a wonderful trip!!
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 11:12 AM
ira

Hi K,

>..my husband indicated this morning that he'd like to see Pisa, ...<

You don't have to decide now.

If you decide to go to Pisa from Rome, you can buy your tickets at the station the day that you want to go.

Trains leave about every 1/2 hr, and take 3 hrs each way.
See www.trenitalia.com.

For myself, I wouldn't give up a day in Rome to go to Pisa.

Old Oct 29th, 2006, 11:19 AM

Hi K,

If you have a 6 day trip, I would definitely say that going to Pisa as a day trip is NOT worthwhile. It's nice to see, but there are so many other, easier day trips out of Rome you can do that are more worthwhile!

Think about:

Orvieto - 1 hour by train
Ostia Antica
Tivoli - Hadrian's Villa and Villa d'Este
Assisi
or longer - Pompeii a long day and I would personally save it for an all southern Italy trip.

I've been to all of these except Ostia Antica (only Tivoli as an actual day trip from Rome) and very much enjoyed them all! Pisa would be a much lower priority in my opinion.

Buon viaggio!
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 11:38 AM

I agree with the above posters. I think you would feel as if you wasted a day. I know I felt that way, and I did a day trip from Florence.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 11:44 AM

Pisa has the most fantastically beautiful renaissance architecture. The "torre" and the Duomo are among the most exciting and important in Italy, and Europe for that matter. One side of the area where the Tower is has a solid wall of tacky tourist shops which annoys many people. And when people go to Pisa in the summer, it is mobbed.

Pick a sunny day in November and go. Be sure to buy a ticket that includes entrance to the cathedral and the bapistery. (Everything is interesting.)

However, get away from the Tower itself to have lunch. If you look on the Slow Travel website, you will find lots of recommendations for reasonably priced, delicious Tuscan food in Pisa.

Enjoy your trip.

Old Oct 29th, 2006, 11:45 AM

PS: If you or your husband has any feeling at all for the intellectual, scientific life of Italy, and especially Gallileo, seeing Pisa -- which is still a university town -- and especially the Duomo and the Torre is a thrill.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 12:35 PM

IMO if the Tower didn't lean this beautiful piazza would be one of those hidden little jems people always say to visit away from the tourist hordes.

But the Tower does lean and it became a major attraction with the tourist hordes and tacky souvenir stalls.

I think the Tower, duomo and baptistry are very beautiful and historic, along with the surrounding piazza.
And it's a relaxing daytrip on the train.

I've spent 2.5 days in Pisa and thought it was a cool little university city.
I have also done it as a daytrip from Rome when they first reopened the Tower to visitors, just because it was something I wanted to do .

Back then I took a Eurostar train to Pisa via Florence but took an InterCity train back to Rome which took a different route, part of which was along the coast.
I think the InterCity route might have been somewhat scenic? Regards, Walter
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 12:43 PM

Paradise Lost,

I'm definitely with you! I secretly wish the Italians would straighten up the tower because then people who just wanted to see something freaky would stay away and the people who wanted to see perhaps the most beautiful campanille in the world would stand there in respectful awe.

Old Oct 29th, 2006, 12:45 PM

Went to Pisa as a day trip from Florennce 35 years ago. Ithought it ws very interesting - the church and baptistry are very interesting. Running up the Tower was one of my favorite experiences.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all! We really appreciate it. Given the time of year, I think we'll take ira's suggestion and play it by ear. We'll leave one day open, and then decide whether or not we want to travel that far for a day trip. I'm very excited for our first trip to Italy, and I am grateful for all of your great suggestions.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 04:13 PM

Here is another vote not to spend time going to Pisa. We took the hour train from Florence and other than the Piazza dei Miracoli and especially the leaning tower, Pisa was a letdown. As someone else said don't give up another day in Rome for a day in Pisa.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 04:23 PM

If you do (and I'd go by train rather than drive) take the time to explore as much of Pisa as you can. Like others have said, there's much more to Pisa than a leaning tower. For the record, I think the train trip itself is scenic and interesting. I love watching the countryside fly by when I'm on a train.
Old Oct 29th, 2006, 04:30 PM

IMO straightening the Tower is like demolishing the colosseum because it is a "ruin."
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 03:26 AM

Sorry Risab... it must have been a long time since your visit to Pisa. I was there in May and found all cranes are gone and stablization complete. I purchased a ticket (about $13) to the top with a preset time (only about 30 people in a group) and continued to visit the cathedral buildings on the grounds until then. I stepped every step around and to the stop with a beautiful 360 degree view. The cathedral buildings are a beautiful classic example of Italian architecture and a cup of coffee in the cafe facing the tower finished it off. Granted there is alot of souvenier peddling across the street but not on the grounds. I wouldn't have missed it.
As for Italian trains... Pisa was my center point for other excursions (a good center point for many day trips in Tuscana). They sometimes canceled trains, were often late by 15-30 minutes, or worse changed platforms by announcement and we had to watch all the other people get up and run to know that the train was arriving on another track. It was purely body language but totally worth the experience.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 04:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi, kgh8m, we just got back from Tuscany, having spent our last night in Pisa, so our DS [15] could go up the leaning tower.
I generally agree that from Rome, there are lots more things I would prefer to do in a day trip, that do not include 6 hours on a train. however, if you must, do remember that you can only go up the tower by prebooking, either on the internet [www.opa-pisa.it] or in person that day. So if you go on spec, you can't bank on being able to go up it. THat said, last Saturday, there were plenty of time slots available in the afternoon, when I went to pick up our tickets.
It took about 30 minutes, and was fun, but no better than the campanile in florence. Despite the appalling tourist tat on sale, and the hawkers [how they make a living it a complete mystery - who goes to Pisa to buy a cheap watch?] the immediate area is quite beautiful, the monuments being spaced out in a green area, as opposed to florence where they are all hemmed in by other buildings.
To get there, you would have to go by train to Florence, then Pisa - another hour or so, then a cab up to the campo - IMO it just isn't worth it. In the same time, you could get to Pompeii - not that I'd suggest you do that either, but it would be a better use of time, if you feel you just have to escape from Rome for a day.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Ann
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 05:33 PM

D6000...I went to Pisa in 2000 so it was quite a few years ago...we did as a 1/2 day trip from Florence and that was really perfect...and like the poster of this thread it was something that my husband and my daughter really wanted to see. I would likde to see the Tower without the cranes. I just wouldn't do it as a day trip from Rome...but, I happen to love Florence and want to visit more of the hill towns in Tuscany.