Rome to Florence questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to Rome in a few days with my mom and she now wants to spend a day in Florence. First of all, I know this is not enough time, but, we cannot spend any more time there. If we decide to go to Florence, I have some questions:
1. what train to take? I went on trenitali.com and saw one for about 60Euro roundtrip - took 4 hours. I was told there is one for less money and is less than 2 hours. What train is this? How can I get info?
2. what to do for 1 full day in Florence?

thanks,
wanda
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 08:45 AM

go to www.raileurope.com
I always find it a much more usable site.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 08:46 AM

Trains labeled ES are more expensive and take about 1.5 hours each way. Trains labeled IC take about 2 hours each way. Both trains offer first and second class, and second class would always be less comfortable and less costly. For ES you have a seat reservation built into the cost. For IC seats are open to anyone, although you can pay extra to reserve seating. On some days, without an IC reservation you might find yourself on a train but standing for two hours.

On our day-trip to Florence from Rome, we caught an ES train just before 9AM, arrived Florence 10:30AM. Since the train station is so near the center, it's easy to get right into things. However, we caught a #12 bus right at the train station and rode all the way to Piazzale Michelangelo, for an excellent midday view from this scenic overlook. Then we walked down the hill and back into the center over the Ponte Vecchio. Visit the Duomo and Baptistery. Stroll the streets. Skip the Uffizi, unless you must visit. Instead give your art time to the Accademia and David, a quicker visit. Have fun at the outdoor markets. Maybe visit Santa Croce. Have a nice lunch. We caught an ES train back to Rome just before 9PM after an early dinner. Back in Rome just after 10:30PM.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 09:03 AM

It is entirely feasible to do as a day-trip. I checked the trenitalia.com website for you and put in the date of Oct 15. For example, there are several trains going back and forth, the 9:30 am ES train gets in at 11:06 am. It is a short walk from the Florence train station into the main part of town. There are return trains at night leaving every hour, and more frequently. I always travel 2nd class, it is fine and very similar to 1st class without paying the higher price. Yes, do indeed plan on spending 60 euros RT on a ticket for an ES train (faster), unless you want the slower IC train for less money.

In Florence, the Duomo, Uffizi, Accademia, and lunch/dinner at a nice restaurant seem quite do-able. This is a good month to be traveling as there are not too many tourists now, so the lines at the Uffizi and other places should be relatively short. Buon viaggio!
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 09:10 AM
ira

Hi Wanda,

You can find train schedules and prices at www.trenitalia.com/en.

They will be much cheaper than raileurope.

If you go on a Saturday, you can go on the IC 1cl or 2cl for 15E, 30E for 1cl on the ES*.
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 01:53 PM

I just got back from Italy, I bought one way Eurostar tickets from Rome-Florence and Florence-Rome so I didn't have to commit myself to a schedule too far in advance, and each was $36.50 (that's the price in USD-I just checked my credit card statement), I don't know if there's a price break for buying a round trip.

If you're just doing a daytrip, the Eurostar (second class is perfectly fine) is worth the little extra money over the IC, it's nonstop so you have no anxiety about where to get off, and it's faster at 90 minutes each way.

You don't have to buy your tickets before you go. When you get to Rome you can just go to one of the electronic kiosks in Termini and buy your tickets there, they have an option for English and are very easy to use. I bought my tickets one day in advance and had no trouble getting a seat (I wouldn't recommend trying to buy them the day of, though, my train from Florence to Rome was completely full). I think this is much less hassle than trying to do it in advance on a website.

Be sure to go to http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/trains...t_eurostar.htm to find out how to read your Eurostar ticket. The important thing to know is which car number you're in (there's a picture of a rail car and then a number between 1 and 12 under it), and then which seat within that car (the word for seat is "posto&quot. I was really, really glad I had visited that site when I had a moment of panic before getting on my first Eurostar train about how to figure out what the h*** I was doing, and wished I had paid a little more attention to it!

You can walk everywhere from the Florence train station, though the #12 to Piazzale Michaelangelo is definitely a wonderful option, the views are magnificent. I'd also agree that the Uffizi would be too much to do in a daytrip, and if you do want to do a museum the Accademy is a better choice (though I wouldn't recommend even that for such a short trip, and reservations would be essential).

A nice one day itinerary would be arrive in train station, take the #12 to P. Michaelangelo for a view and to orient yourself. Walk down and along the Arno to the Ponte Vecchio, cross at the Ponto Vecchio, walk through the courtyard of the Uffizi to the Loggia dei Lanzi, from there either Santa Croce to the Duomo or directly to the Duomo, maybe a quick visit to the Mercato Centrale area to pick up some souvenirs if you're interested, wander around taking in the amazing architecture, have a gelato (Perche No was truly fabulous) and head back to the station.