Reload this Page >

Rome to Amalfi Coast?

Search

Rome to Amalfi Coast?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2000, 07:04 PM
Elise

Rome to Amalfi Coast?

What is the bset way to get from Rome to the Amalfi Coast/Pompeii?

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 04:41 AM
the turnip

A gentleman by the name of Walter has posted an fabulous, step by step list of directions describing exactly what you're looking for. Without being "eliteist" I'd suggest doing a search for it.

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 03:45 PM
Elise

Thank you Turnip, for your advice, only I'm a little unsure by what you mean. How do I make a text search for "Walter"? Please could you be more specific. Thank you for your time.

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 12:25 PM
rob

Hi Elise - <BR> <BR>The best way depends on exactly where you're going. Pompeii is just south of Naples - take Eurostar to Naples and then transfer to the Circumvesuviana line. The Circumvesuviana goes around the Bay of Naples from Naples to Sorrento -it kind of feels like a commuter train. The Circumvesuviana stops at Pompei Scavi (excavations), which is much closer to the ruins than the station that the regular train from Naples uses. Count on about 25-30 minutes from Naples. <BR> <BR>The Circumvesuviana is also the best way to get to Sorrento or Positano. Sorrento, as I mentioned, is actually the end of the Circumvesuviana line - it takes a little bit more than an hour. A bus leaves for Positano and ultimately Amalfi from just in front of the Sorrento train station periodically. This is the famous Amalfi drive, one of the most beautiful stretches of road in the world. Sit on the right side of the bus. One hour from Sorrento to Positano, another hour to Amalfi. <BR> <BR>If you're just going to Amalfi or Ravello, however, it makes more sense I think to take the train from Rome to Salerno (some trains require a change in Naples; it's certainly more convenient to get one that doesn't). Once in Salerno, you'll need to walk one block to the main drag, turn right, and then one more block up the main drag, to get to the bus stop. The bus will take you to Amalfi - also an very beautiful drive - sit on the left this time, though. I think buses run every half hour, and take an hour. <BR> <BR>If you stay in Amalfi, and please do, be sure to stay at the Cappuccini Convento, a very charming and historic place set way up on the hill. And let Franco take care of you at the bar. <BR> <BR>I think this is the best way, but it sure does take some time and effort. Has anyone ever flown into Naples and gone directly to Amalfi? If so, how?

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 01:41 PM
Walter

Hi Elise: I e-mailed you my Rome-Pompeii trip report and some websites, if you didn't receive them e-mail me and I'll send them. The trip report is just a very detailed day trip from Rome to Pompeii but puts you on the same CS train to Sorrento. You can also find it in a "Rome to Pompeii" search. I haven't been to the Amalfi coast from Sorrento but I see Rob's post covered that part plus the Rome to Sorrento leg. <BR>Rob: Is the bus journey along the Amalfi coast as hair raising as I've heard? It sounds alittle to scarey too me). Regards, Walter <BR>

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 03:21 PM
Elsa

Hi, <BR> <BR>We just got back from Rome and the Amalfi coast Sun. <BR> <BR>We decided to take a limo ($90 plus tip) <BR>from Naples (where we flew into) to Positano (where we were staying.) It killed me to pay that, but I'm glad we did. The more we thought about schlepping our luggage (1 piece each, along with a carry on each)on the train, which is like a subway with lots of stops before reaching Sorrento 1 hr. later and then changing there to a taxi or bus for Sorrento ---- I figured we owed it to ourselves to take the limo. It worked out well, because it was raining when we arrived in Naples, and I don't know where we would have gone to catch the train. We also didn't know if there would be storage on the bus for the luggage ( I think there is storage space in a compartment under the seats). All this in addition to the fact we had just taken an overnight flight from Boston via London to Naples. <BR> <BR>Rob, <BR> <BR>I think I answered your question in my reply above. <BR> <BR>Walter, <BR> <BR>The roads are VERY narrow, but somehow the buses manage to get past each other - we don't know how!!!!!!! I wouldn't advise renting a car (we usually do in other places) on the Amalfi drive because there's a lot of manuvering dto do PLUS the parking is close to non-existant!!!!!! Who wants to spend the DAY looking for a parking space. The ride can be hair-raising, but if you don't like heights, sit on the side of the bus that does not look down upon the water. I haven't heard of any bus falling down a cliff. <BR> <BR>Elsa

Old Apr 26th, 2000, 10:14 AM
rob

The scenery is so beautiful and your amazement at the skill of the bus drivers is so strong that any fear you might have vanishes. I would be afraid, very afraid indeed, to drive this myself, and what a waste, because you'd miss all the scenery, which is why you're there to begin with. <BR> <BR>The limo idea from the Naples airport sounds great, but so pricey! The train/bus connections weren't bad at all, considering the huge savings. Thanks for the info!