Rome - Stroller and Cell Phone Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2015, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two quick questions regarding our upcoming trip. We are traveling with our 1.5 year old and plan to bring a stroller. We have two options. One stroller is bigger with air-filled tires, it's easier to push and more comfortable for her. The other stroller is much lighter and easier to carry. I know there will be times when we can't use a stroller at all, but I'm really torn on which stroller to bring. The lightweight stroller may be really hard to push over cobblestones and such, but we may have to carry a stroller frequently, making the heavier one a bad choice. Any insight?

Also, we'd like to have a local SIM card for one of our phones for emergency purposes only. We're looking for the cheapest, easiest way to have a local phone number w/ text ability for an iPhone (we could use the 4 or 5 model, we have one of each). Can you buy this at any store? Is it a simple process - any idea of cost?
Old Oct 4th, 2015, 09:25 PM

I would take the lighter one. Roman babies cope with the bumps - and not all of Rome's streets are cobblestones. You will appreciate the lighter stroller in terms of narrow doorways, parking in restaurants if she is asleep and manouvering into tiny elevators. It will also be easier for both of you to carry it up and down the numerous stairs.
Old Oct 4th, 2015, 09:43 PM

I would definitely take the lighter stroller.

A local SIM card costs €10, and comes with €5 of initial credit. You may want to add more credit, which you can do later. If you're not planning to use the phone's data services, be sure to keep data turned off all the time. You can get a SIM card in a phone store (TIM or Vodafone have the best nationwide coverage) or in any store that sells phones (appliance stores, electronic stores, and some camera shops). When they see the IPhone, you may have trouble convincing them you don't want to use data.

Both TIM and Vodafone have interesting plans for tourists, which give you talk and data for one month for €30, including the SIM card. The talk minutes can be used for international calls as well as local calls. In the case of Vodafone, you'd have to select a country you want to be able to call. With TIM you can call any of the countries on their long list.

http://www.vodafone.it/portal/Privat...oliday-English

https://www.tim.it/offerte/mobile/es...im-visitors-uk

https://www.tim.it/offerte/mobile/es...tim-welcome-uk

Note that the TIM plans don't include texts, whose cost would come out of your initial credit, which you might have to top up. Or you could use What'sApp, Messenger, or one of the many other internet messaging apps.

Also note that TIM for Visitors has to be bought in advance online, which removes some of the language hassle. You bring the confirmation to a TIM store to get your SIM card and activate the plan.
Old Oct 4th, 2015, 10:47 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your quick replies - very helpful!
Old Oct 5th, 2015, 07:26 PM

Please let me know how it goes with your trip. I will be traveling with my little ones. However, my youngest's one is much bigger (i.e. 4 yr). She can walk but we find it much easier if we can just put her in the stroller so we don't have to carry her when she refuse to walk. Is Rome or southern Italy stroller friendly? I'm wondering if i should even bother brining a stroller. Thanks.
Old Oct 5th, 2015, 08:41 PM

Not sure what you mean by 'stroller friendly'? Some streets have cobble stones. There are a lot of stairs and very few places have ramps. Be prepared to carry the stroller and manouvre it in very small spaces. There are no designated stroller places in any of the public transportation I've taken and elevators are mostly only at the large train stations.
Definitely bring it with you. Carrying a four year old will wear you out pretty fast.