Rome, Siena, Sorrento by train

Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:14 PM
Chris

Rome, Siena, Sorrento by train

We are going to these places in May and plan on traveling by train between them. Last time we went to Siena from Rome we stopped about 10 times. Is there anyway to avoid this? Also, we are staying in Sorrento for the last leg of the trip and have a 10:30AM flight out of Rome to return home. Is this possible? Are there trains leaving that early form Sorrento? I looked on rail europe to buy tickets (Sorrento to Rome via Naples) and they did not have Sorrento as a departing city. We would like to take the fastest trains everywhere we travel. Please help!
Thanks,
Chris

Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:19 PM
Chris

One more question- should we opt for taking the bus from Rome to Siena instead of the train? Which would be faster?

Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:31 AM
Steve James

Hello Chris,

There's no FAST train between Rome and Siena. It's a 3-hour journey with a change at CHIUSI.

Bus is only slightly faster - 2hours 45mins, but it stops near the town centre. The railway station is out of town.

To get to FCO in time you'd need to catch the 06.00 Naples-Rome train.
This leaves from NAPOLI PIAZZA GARIBALDI Station.

This gets you to FCO at 08.48 with a change of train at ROMA OSTIENSE.

To get to Naples from Sorento in time for this train you'd need to go by taxi.
(The earliest Sorrento-Naples train doesn't arrive till 06.08, unfortunately)

Let me know if I can be of more help ...

Steve

Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:31 AM
Chris

Thanks a bunch Steve.
I tried to e-mail you a couple of more questions but I got a failure notice.
Here are the questions-hope you don't mind-I was wondering where you obtained
all of this info? A website for the bus station would be great. We were
planning on buying our tickets when we arrive in Rome- I have heard this
is a safe bet and is less expensive than raileurope.
Have you ever traveled by bus(comfortable,airconditioned, ect.) You said the bus (Rome to Siena) drops you by the city center. We are
staying at the Santa Caterina which is right outside the roman gates (10-15 minutes from Piazza del Campo). Would you suggest-bus or train?
We then are going from Siena to Sorrento; is there a fast train we can
take for this leg?
One more question- do the taxis in Sorrento travel that early in the
morning?
Any other information would be greatly appreciated!!
I hope you enjoy your day,
Chris

Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:35 AM
Grasshopper

Both bus and train drop you quite a ways from Santa Caterina (great choice, by the way... be sure to have breakfast in the garden). It is 15 min. to the main piazza and then 15 more to Santa Caterina. If you have luggage, take a taxi.

Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:32 PM
John

Chris: Coincidentally, I just completed a two-week trip, a week ago, using Rome, Siena, and Sorrento as my destinations. Here's what I can tell you.

We began in Rome. To get to Siena, my cousin (an Italian, in Florence) advised us to take the express train to Florence, and then the bus to Siena. The train took 1.5 hours, and the bus took 1 hour. We bought the train and bus tickets the same day we traveled. The bus station in Florence is right next to the train station, and it's an easy transfer. The bus left us off at the bus station in Siena, which is quite a ways from S. Caterina (we stayed a block from S. Caterina, at the Hotel Olivieta). You'll need to take a taxi, or check with S. Caterina to see if they offer a shuttle (ours did). They may pick you up across the street from he bus station, at the Hotel Jolly.

To get to Sorrento from Siena, we took an early bus to Florence then strolled around for a bit and visited my cousin before taking the train to Naples (via Rome). I've already forgotten how long the journey was; I want to say about 2.5 hrs. At the Naples train station, you'll go downstairs to get the Circumvesuviana, a local train/subway that services the many small towns between Naples and Sorrento. Depending upon what time of day you take it, be prepared for it to be crowded (at least initially, before locals get off at their stops). It's about an hour to Sorrento, and it drops you at the train station. It costs 2.50 Euros.

We also had a 10:00 am flight home from Rome, and chose to go back to Rome the night before so we wouldn't have to rush. Plus, we love the place we stay in Rome and wanted one last night there. So, I can't advise on how to get back on the same day in time for your flight. We bought our train tickets for Naples-Rome the day before at a travel agency in Amalfi, and were glad we did since the Naples train station can be a bit of a zoo. Always make sure you get the express train (or EuroStar, indicated by "ES").

If you've never been to these cities, I'd be glad to share some fresh suggestions. It helps me hang on to the memories . . .

Hope this is helpful.

John

Apr 23rd, 2002, 08:23 PM
Holly

John - I'd be interested in hearing your suggestions for Sorrento and Amalfi. I'm sure others would, too.

Apr 24th, 2002, 01:50 AM
Steve James

Chris - Here's the website for the Rome-Siena bus service:
www.lazzi.it/senaautolinee/roma_siena.htm
This leaves from outside ROMA TIBURTINA Station, which you can reach on Line 'B' on the metro.

All the train times are from the Trenitalia website:
www.trenitalia.it

For a Sorrento-Naples limo at that time in the morning you'd need to pre-book. Your hotel could help you with this.

For the Rome-Siena leg, if you decide to go by train there's really no time advantage going via Florence as you may have a wait in Florence for a bus to Siena. Also it would be considerably more expensive.

Apr 24th, 2002, 02:20 AM
Steve James

P.S. For the Siena-Sorrento leg you could take the Eurostar from Florence to Naples as John did.
Journey time Florence-Naples is just over 3 hours by Eurostar.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Apr 24th, 2002, 05:45 AM
Chris

Thanks a bunch for the information. I know it will help. In reading all of those replies it prompted another idea. We were planning on renting a car in Siena anyway when we got there to take day trips to Florence, Montelpuciano, and Montelcino. Now I am thinking we should just rent the car in Rome and drive to Siena and keep the car for the next two days. What would the drive to Siena from Rome be like? Also-John- I agree- I would very much like to hear about your trip (Rome, Siena, Sorrento). I have been to Rome and Siena, but this is the first time to Sorrento.
Thanks again!
Chris

Apr 24th, 2002, 06:09 AM
John

Holly: Here are one man's quick thoughts about Sorrento and the coast. Feel free to email me for more.

I'd been to the coast twice before, but had stayed in Maiori (further south) and had gone later in May. Maiori provided a less-expensive and convenient home base to tour Amalfi, Ravello, Vietri, Capri, Paestum, Positano. This year's trip was earlier in the season and had, initially, Capri as the main destination. However, I learned via the Fodor's community that the hydrofoils were not yet running regularly from Amalfi, but were running from Sorrento. Hence, the choice to use Sorrento as homebase. Capri is only a 20-25 minute boatride from Sorrento.

Let me say first that much of my delight in Sorrento was due largely to the bed and breakfast we found, and their gracious hosts. The B/B sat in the middle of an orange and lemon grove, high on a hill. The hosts referred us (and often drove us!) to "local" favorite restaurants, as the father in the bunch was a retired fisherman who used to supply the restaurants. That said:

Sorrento pluses: the views of the Bay; the museum of Intaglia (the guided tour costs no more than entrance, and is worth it); peeks into the woodworking studios along Via S. Nicola; long walks to the Marina Grande and the restaurants there (prepare to climb steps); shopping in the town center around Piazza Tasso; eating at La Laterna (quite contrary to the Fodor's review!); fresh-squeezed orange juice; limoncello; the proximity to Capri.

Sorrento minuses: the exhaust fumes along the main thoroughfares; the distance from the Amalfi Coast (it took us an hour by bus to reach Amalfi).

John

Apr 24th, 2002, 03:56 PM
Holly

Thanks, John. I may email you for more.