Reload this Page >

Rome-San Clemente

Search

Rome-San Clemente

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Mandy

Rome-San Clemente

Do you need a tour guide to help you descend the various level of the church or is it well marked?

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Sandi

Mandy, <BR><BR>I visited this church about four months ago. You have to pay a small entry fee and you can wander around on your own. It is easy to navigate. Very interesting, too.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 11:45 AM
Doug Weller

YOu don't need one, but we had one, Daniella Hunt, who made it really come alive.<BR><BR>Doug

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Walter

They also sell a guidebook ~4e, "The Short Guide to St Clement's" by Leonard Boyle. It's the size of a paperback and will say "St. Clement's Rome" on the cover. Regards, Walter

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 07:23 AM
Mandy

Thank you all for your responses. Walter, I have not been able to find a copy of that book. It is sold at the church?

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 11:54 AM
sandi

Mandy,<BR><BR>There's a small counter by the door that leads you down to the various levels where you can by a guidebook.<BR><BR>Don't forget to linger in the main church too. The mosaics are stunning and rival some that I saw in Ravenna.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 04:08 PM
Alec

AFAIK, San Clemente is maintained by Irish Dominican monks and are very friendly bunch.