Rome Restaurants serving Truffles and Upscale Places like Convivio

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Collecting restaurant names for a trip to Rome during truffle season. DH is terribly worried that we'll have a hard time finding restaurants that serve truffles. On our other trips to Rome, it either wasn't an issue because it wasn't the season or we couldn't afford them!

So will many restaurants have truffles available? Or will we find them only at Roman restaurants serving Tuscan or Umbrian cuisine? Or will it only be the more expensive restaurants? And of course, I'll collect any specific restaurant names!

And the other question, DH wants to go to at least one upscale place, possibly Convivio (we both like their menu). (The rest of the time, we'll eat at a variety of less formal restaurants.) Last visit to Rome, we went to El Toula, which was very nice, but I felt like I could have been anywhere in the world. I've seen comments like that about Convivio, too (the formality isn't a problem with us). Are there high-end places that serve cuisine that feels more Roman or Italian, or where the ambiance feels more Roman or Italian?

Thanks much
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 06:14 AM

I have eaten at both El Toula and Convivio. I felt the same way you did about El Toula and preferred Convivio immensely in comparison. Their wine selection/suggestions, food, service and ambiance are fantastic.

In addition, I would HIGHLY recommend IlDrappo which is located in one of the oldest and most picturesque parts of Rome, getting there is a treat.

Il Drappo is probably one of the best restaurants we ate at while in Rome. It specializes in Sardinian seafood and serves fairly large portions. When we were there it was mostly frequented by romantic couples and some business diners - all were locals. The food and wine were excellent. My husband and I definently look forward to visiting Il Drappo again upon our return to Rome. Buon Appetito!

Old Jul 27th, 2006, 07:50 AM

As for restaurants serving menu with truffles, you'll probably have to be there in the right season--usually late Sept/October thru early December for white truffles, winter/eary spring for black truffles.
If you're in Rome, your choice may be more limited to expensive restaurants. Truffle supply to restaurants are always unreliable, so you should definitely call beforehand.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info; it's interesting that someone else had the same opinion of El Toula. And I've added Il Drappo to my (lengthy) restaurant list!

As I mentioned, we will be in Rome during (white) truffle season. I was hoping that Rome would be similar to restaurants in Tuscany and Umbria (and even Bologna), where even medium-priced restaurants could have truffles (in season). Hmmm.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 03:55 PM

BTW, you might want to see if you can find "truffoil". It's virgin olive oil infused with white truffle, comes in 50l square bottle. Nothing beats shavings of the real thing, but it was good on risotto, salad etc.