Rome Restaurants???

Search

Rome Restaurants???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome Restaurants???

It has been too many years since we last traveled to Italy. I can only remember 2 Rome restaurants, Vecchia Roma and Giarosto Toscano. Anyone have others they recommend. We will be staying on Via Guila in the old Jewish quarter!
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 12:40 PM

Any guidebook or any use of the search box on the top of this page will get you started. It has been a frequent topic.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 01:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
yes there are lots of threads about this topic, but here's a few ideas to get you going:

this is a place near the piazza navona that our apartment landlady tolf us about, which we thought was good that other fodorites have liked as well:

http://www.anticatavernamangiabene.it/

and this one a little bit further along the same street: http://www.ilfico.com/ilficoristorante.html

in fact there are loads of nice places all round that area and along the via coronari.

we also had a very nice lunch in a restaurant in the jewish quarter, but i've no idea of its name. there are loads in that area.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 01:25 PM

You should go a search on the Chowhound board for Italy and look up several recent threads. There are a lot of Rome residents and also posters who have recently stayed very near there (on the via di Monserrato) or who stay on the via Giulia every year, and so there are lot of detailed recommendations.

Do a search for restaurants like Il Drappo, Settimo al Pelleginto, Ditarambo, Il Pagliacci (if you want to break the bank), and some in Trastevere (you are close enough to walk).

http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/58

Since you are staying so close to the Jewish quarter, consider trying some of the specialties of that tiny area. I understand Nonna Betta is goo (I haven't been), but there are many others. Do a search for "Jewish Ghetto" on Chowhound's Italy board as well.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 01:27 PM

Typo alert:

The restaurant name is Settimio al Pellegrino
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Yes I remember dining at a few places near the hotel in the Jewish quarter. I'll look into the place near Pz. Navona. I remember Elaine posting about a relly special place but she no longer posts here I'll have to check out her FB page.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 01:32 PM

Dar Poeta in Trastevere was the best pizza we have had in Italy: http://www.darpoeta.com/ing/Dar_Poeta_home_ing.html
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 01:36 PM

Armando al pantheon. Near a touristy area but not a touristy restaurant. http://www.armandoalpantheon.it/
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 07:17 PM

Another vote for Armando al Pantheon. Best to make a reservation, easy to do when you are visiting the Pantheon if you don't want to call.
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 06:39 PM
M1

Perilli, located in the Testaccio area on Via Marmorata. Excellent rigatoni alla carbonara, artichoke, and roast lamb.
Also, La Matricianella, located on Via del Leone, a short walk from the Pantheon area. Great fried vegetables and roast lamb.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 01:16 AM
Original Poster

LOVE LAMB!! I'll check those out. Thanks
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 07:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Antico Arco, Checchino dal 1887 and Asino d'Oro were delicious last spring. We have had many great meals in Rome over the last ten years or so but I do find it necessary to do some research--it's easy to get mediocre food. We tend to taxi to dinner if we want to go to a well regarded place and it's not close enough to walk.

Haven't been to Armando al Pantheon in many years but it was good and conveniently located back then. Have heard great things about Perilli.

I'll check my notes.

Have a great trip!
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 08:00 AM

Check TRAVEL and LEISURE archives for the May 2011 issue which ran an article titled, " Local Intelligence: Rome: AN EXQUISITE FEAST." This article lists lots of restaurants with complete info, descriptions!
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 08:34 AM

If you are into apps for your phone you may want to check out these two:

EatRome and Rome for Foodies.

EatRome was created by Elizabeth Minchilli and American Ex-Pat living in Rome for many years, she writes primarily food related articles for a variety of publications.

Rome for Foodies was created by Katie Parla, another American Ex-Pat living in Rome who is a blogger ( Parlafood.com ), food historian, and sommelier, and frequent contributor to the New York Times.

Rome for Foodies was just released last month and EatRome has been available for about a year, both apps are regularly updated with current information.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 10:16 AM

It has been a couple of years, but these are the two budget-friendly restaurants we especially liked for their food and local flavor:

Maccheroni Ristorante at Piazza delle Coppelle, 44, phone 06 68307895. It’s very popular with locals and gets very busy. The service is friendly and the atmosphere is lively and interesting. About 47 EUR for two, with one-half liter of house wine.

My daughter’s friend had studied in Rome that semester and recommended his favorite restaurant in the neighborhood where he’d lived, called Il Matriciano, on Via dei Gracchi, 49- 61. (Reservations advised—phone 063213040, or 063212327) It’s perfect for a more special dinner, but certainly not over-the-top. For three people dining, we paid just 103 EUR, which included a liter of house wine. We shared two appetizers, and two of us had veal dishes, one had just spaghetti. We each enjoyed coffee and dessert. It is a very, very friendly and pleasant place. We completely enjoyed it.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 10:20 AM

You might want to take a look at my trip report where I mention a couple of restaurants worth considering; click on my name to find it.
Old Feb 6th, 2012, 05:53 PM

http://www.allarampa.it/home.php?language=English

Alla Rampa is situated in the back of a small piazetta in the immediate vicinity of the Spanish Steps it is quite a neat spot - not only because of the food but also because of the decor.

At lunch there is a hu-uge display/selection of antipasti - probably 100 items hot, cold, cooked or raw: from vegetables to meat and seafood - you name it. You get one plate (at 10Euro, a couple years ago) - fill it up carefully, you will not regret it... Needless to say there is a lot more options on the menu, but the above is hard to beat!

The decor of the main room is like a theatre stage - showing an "average" Roman street a couple centuries ago. Check the website for more photos...