Rome Restaurants

Jun 7th, 2001, 04:42 PM
Patty

Rome Restaurants

We're spending 5 nights in Rome and would love good restaurant recomendations - ranging from very fancy to casual but authentic. Many thanks.

Jun 7th, 2001, 06:43 PM
Rex

My four most recent... (May 2001) - - omitting one or two less memorable...

Le Volte -- few hundred yards from Piazza della Rotonda - - mid-range

Osteria La Carbonara - - mid- to fairly casual (lunched there) - - Campo d Fiori

Rooftop garden resturant buffet lunch of Crowne Plaza Minerva (Centro Storico, also close to both Pzza d Rotonda and Pzza Navona) - - sumptuous, pricy, slightly stuffy, visually eye-popping and yummy, yummy...

Vivendo - - ultra elegant, expensive - - in Europe's "newest best hotel" - following a multi-dozen million (US dollar) renovation - - the St Regis Grand - - at Pzza della Repubblica.

Best wishes,

Rex

Jun 7th, 2001, 07:05 PM
JOdy

Vecchio Roma ..in Piazza campanelli- wonderful food , service and a totally Roman experience in a quiet piazza with umbrellaed tables , if you choose to dine outside,! we love it

Jun 7th, 2001, 09:39 PM
Andy

If Taverna Julia is still listed it was fabulous--cab ride from Via Veneto---

Also Giarostecca Toscana around the corner from the Via Veneto and across from the Borghese gardens has the best grilled Porcini and portobello mushrooms I've ever had.

Jun 8th, 2001, 09:09 AM
sandi

My vote is Ristorante Galeassi (Piazza S. Maria in Trastevere 3-3a). EXCELLENT! Also Patty, you should do a search for Rome Restaurants on this board. You'll get many suggestions from dozens of previous posts.

Jun 8th, 2001, 04:19 PM
Ellen

I just arrived back from Rome about 2 weeks ago. We went to:

- Alla Rampa - Piazza Mignanelli - right by the Spanish Steps - no reservations, but just need to wait a few minutes for a lovely terrace table, very good food at reasonable prices; the waiters were great, been there forever and will recommend the best of the night for you - so no decisions!
- for a special night - it was our anniversary - we went to the Rooftop restaurant at the Hassler Hotel at the top of the Spanish Steps - simply incredible view of all Rome, food was the best, pricy, but well worth it with incredible quality and service; start with a drink in their terrace area in the back on the ground floor
- our romantic favorite was Sabatini in the Trastervere area, candlelit table, set back from the edge of the terrace, overlooking the square, with soft breezes on a summer night - the food was so fresh and delightful, spend some extra dollars, and go for the grilled prawns (shrimp) for your main course, spritz them with lemon and nothing else, and you've reached heaven!

Jun 12th, 2001, 01:54 PM
Julie

Dear Patty:

My husband and I flipped over Ristorante 34 (very near the Spanish Steps - 2 blocks away at most). It was recommended in the Frommer's book also.

The prix fixe menu was outstanding - the pasta sauces unbelievable. Dinner for 2 with wine (everything from antipasto to dessert) averaged between $50-65.

Waiters were charming as well. Lots of locals eating here - more locals than tourists.

Ciao!
Julie

Jul 15th, 2001, 07:19 PM
Rex

to the top... for David (Arbuddies)

...not for my own info, but for some of the other recommendations offered by others.

Jul 15th, 2001, 07:34 PM
JOdy

Andy- just saw your post Giarosta Toscana and Cafe Guila are also 2 favorites of ours in addition to Vecchio Roma . excuse spelling ,, it s late!!