Rome-Pisa-Milan train in one day?

Oct 10th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Rome-Pisa-Milan train in one day?

Deceptive title. We (2 kids, 6 and 9, wife, and I) will be in Rome, but need to get back to Milan to catch the flight home. Was thinking about a day trip to Pisa, but now wonder if I can get tickets to go Rome-Pisa-Milan with a few hour stopover in Pisa mainly to see the tower. I know it will be a long day, however, it seems to make more sense to do it on what would otherwise be a travel day anyway. Any suggestions? How would I go about pricing a thru ticket, or would it have to be point-to-point-to-point?

Thanks for the help!
Oct 10th, 2006, 07:15 AM

It will be point-to-point.

For Rome to Pisa, you take the Eurostar (mandatory reservations) to Florence, then transfer to slow train to Pisa. About 3 hours total.

From Pisa to Milan, you change at Genova. 3.5 hours total. IC-Plus to IC-Plus. Mandatory reservations.

As usual, buy at train station (ticket machine or counter) after you get to Italy, or if you're really adventurous, try booking on Trenitalia.
Oct 10th, 2006, 07:26 AM

A standard Italian train ticket for a journey of this length is valid 24 hours, so allows a break of journey. Fares are calculated from the distance, so an Italian station ticket office should certainly be able to work out a fare for Roma-Milano via Pisa, with supplements for Intercity or Eurostar trains. You should check schedules for Roma-Pisa and Pisa-Milano on www.trenitalia.com. If you're travelling on a busy day (a weekend perhaps), you may want to book parts of the journey in advance, which will be easier in separate stages if you're using the internet; if you do it at an Italian station, just tell them exactly what trains you want, the date you're travelling and the number of people.
Oct 10th, 2006, 09:06 AM

keep in mind that you'll add about 2 hours to your train travel time by going through Pisa - Genova (rather than Florence - Bologna which is the fastest way from Rome to Milan).

That said, it's probably easier to buy two separate tickets (Rome-Pisa, Pisa-Milan).
Oct 31st, 2006, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. Now looks like we'll modify plans and go Rome-Pisa-VENICE, overnight 2 nights, then Venice to Milan. Is a railpass a better choice, or point-to-point? The airport to Rome, Milan to airport trains are also needed.

Sorry for the neverending questions!

Oct 31st, 2006, 07:14 AM

It is extremely unlikely that it would be worth getting a rail pass for a one-way journey of this sort. Basic Italian fares are cheap and you need to do a lot of travelling to justify a pass. You can check fares on www.trenitalia.com and compare them with the price of a pass.
Oct 31st, 2006, 07:15 AM

Point-to-point tickets should be ebtter for your itinerary.

There is an express train between Rome airport, FCO, and the main train station, Roma Termini. It scosts about 10 euros each--I'm not sure about the kids. For your group, I'd recommend a car service, shttule, or taxi. You should be able to arrange one for 45-50 euros, door to door. If you took the train, you'd still need other transport from the train station. Take a car--easier for your group and costs about the same the same.

Similarly, in Milan there is a bus to Malpensa or a train, either useful depending on where you are staying. I think a car to the airport would cost more than in Rome, but, again, for your group might work best.