Rome or Paris plus a wine region

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've come upon some good airfares for September from the east coast US to either Paris or Rome and I'd like to include a vist to a wine region as well. Looking at a 10 day trip in the last half of September and seeing if I can get some advice to help me make my decision. We are an active couple in our early 30's, priorities for this trip are food/wine, beautiful scenery and opportunity for hiking or biking. Also the possibility of a wine harvest festival will help sway my choice. My husband and I have both been to Paris very briefly(2 days with US Navy) and my husband has been to Rome briefly( again 2 days). As always any advice is appreciated.
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 09:22 AM

Go for Tuscany!It's at its best in September
It's 2 hours drive from Rome (better to rent a car to visit all the wineyards you wish).
Visit my travelblog www.delightfullyitaly.com for trip infos about Montalcino (land of famous Brunello).
I'm presently on my way to Chianti (still tuscany, north of Montalcino), for a wine tasting week end. You will read of it on my post, as soon as I recover from the hangover
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 09:37 AM

that sounds good.

I don't know Italy, just France, and of course you can do some wine/harvest stuff in September in the Loire or BUrgundy. There is a wine/jazz festival in Beaune in Burgundy in mid-September, if you are interested (that is a small town near Dijon, known for wine) http://www.jazzabeaune.fr/

This is the general wine agenda website for Burgundy tourism http://www.vins-bourgogne.fr/vivre-l...0yMDEzfA%3D%3D

And you do have good food in Dijon, although it is a certain type of cuisine you have to like, of course (heavier than some other French food).

Out of curiosity, what are the great fares you have found for end of September to Paris and Rome from the East Coast? I was looking and couldn't find anything for much less than about $1300, but it's been a while since I searched.
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Just popped up this morning, finding $990 r/t to Paris and $1006 r/t Rome from Norfolk connecting through JFK on AA/BA. I've been watching Europe fares like a hawk as I've had several "planned" trips that I've had to change this year due to work but my fall is wide open. I usually travel in May so going somewhere in the fall will be a nice change.
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 10:33 AM

Two wonderful options. The wine areas in each country are easy to reach, and as mentioned, it should be a good time of year to visit.

How about basing your destination on which wine you like the best, or your favorite (of the two) cuisine? If you tend to drink more French wine, go there.
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 01:40 PM

Those are pretty good fares from Norfolk, especially if it really only one change of planes at JFK. I didn't know AA flew nonstop to Paris but I guess that's because I want nonstop from my home airport (IAD) and dont' want to change at all, so never looked. But from Norfolk, you'll have to change somewhere no matter what (well, you could drive to IAD, actually). I guess they've dropped several hundred from summer, that's good. IAD is an expensive airport to fly to Paris from for some reason, even end of September, fares are more like $1200 nonstop, but you can get one from there for $975 also with a stop. Of course, for you, JFK is fine.
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 12:00 PM

Dh and I picked up a rental car and drove (2 hrs?) to Beaune where the notorious Burgundy's are produced. We stayed in a rental for a week and loved the food and wines! I did not find the foods heavy. In fact, I wanted boeuf bourgignon and couldn't find it! Beaune is so different from Paris. Loved them both!
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 12:45 PM

Well, I agree with Tuscany. Because you also say you like hiking, you can get in a couple days at the Cinque Terre, as well. Italy has it all and September is a great time to go!

Have fun!
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 12:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Paris links easily by train to Alsace, Champagne, Loire, northern Burgundy (Chablis etc) and southern Burgundy (Beaune). Of these taking a bike or hiking is very easy for all except southern Burgundy (just a bit harder). While I've ridden through a lot of Champagne the real speciality of the area is found in the cellars not in the fields. Loire is very long and thin so you need to know where you want to visit.

My favorites would be Alsace or Chablis/Auxerre

http://www.loireavelo.fr/
http://www.mybikeguide.co.uk/
Old Jun 8th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions! DH would love to fit in a few days in the Alps so we are now looking at open jaw with Paris and Geneva($940) or Milan and Rome($1060).For food and wine I'd give a slight nod for preference towards Italy but for scenery and architecture I give a nod to France. Will make our decision soon and get down to the fun of planning!
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 02:07 AM

From Geneva their up some cross-Switzerland bike paths, or you can go to Burgundy, Rhone or even Beaujolais. Don't foget the French Alps are just as pretty as the Swiss ones and half the price, Jura is also just sitting there (Vin Jaune, Vin de Paille etc)
Old Jun 9th, 2013, 02:07 AM

"their up"-> there are....