Search

Rome or London?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 02:21 PM
julie

Rome or London?

Spending 5-6 days in Paris. With 5 more days left, should we do Rome or London with our teenage son?

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 02:57 PM
Peter

<BR>Rome without a doubt. There is so much more to do in Rome! Besides the weather is warmer than London.

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 03:21 PM
Flora

I vote for London. You will have to fly to Rome or take an overnight train, while the Eurostar beneath the English Channel is just three hours from Paris' Gare du Nord to London's Waterloo Station. <BR> <BR>My teenage son had fun in London - the Tower, Ceremony of the Keys, Covent Garden, climbing to the top of St. Paul's Cathedral, theatre, riding in the open top double decker bus. The list is endless. <BR> <BR>As far as weather goes, it can get pretty hot in Rome in the summer. <BR> <BR>Good luck! <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 03:28 PM
Richard

flip a coin, they are both great. but if you like food, go to rome. the food stinks in london.

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 03:39 PM
Marvin

<BR>Although London is not one of my favorite cities, if I were in Paris already I would visit London over Rome. <BR>I was in London 2 years ago and I took the 3 hour Eurostar train to Paris. For the sheer proximity I would choose London. I came back from Rome and Italy in November and in my opinion, Venice is much nicer than Rome if you're heading to Italy.

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 05:11 PM
Bill Fleites

Definitely London! As previously mentioned, you're so close by Eurostar that it'd be a crime not to go. There's a lot to see in London, and your teens will LOVE the Tower, guaranteed. Rome is beautiful and full of unbelievable sights but it's distance from Paris would make it more difficult to get to.

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 05:12 PM
Bill Fleites

Definitely London! As previously mentioned, you're so close by Eurostar that it'd be a crime not to go. There's a lot to see in London, and your teens will LOVE the Tower, guaranteed. Rome is beautiful and full of unbelievable sights but it's distance from Paris would make it more difficult to get to.

Old Mar 22nd, 1999, 08:03 PM
Richard

how about skipping paris and go to london and rome instead. the french not kind to americans and i wouldn't give them another cent of my hard earned money.

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 06:19 AM
cheryl

I would opt for London as well, just because of the time consideration. It is a very easy trip from Paris to London. Also, I think a teenager might enjoy London. The types of things to do in London make a nice contrast to Paris for one trip. Don't worry too much about Richard's comments. We have had no problem with the French. They were somewhat reserved, but never rude, and some were very charming. Much like anywhere else, as far as we could tell. Try to learn some french if you don't know some already, and always say "Bonjour Madam/Monsieur" when entering a shop, it's considered basic politeness. Food in London can be a little iffy, but we had some excellent meals there, and we are very interested in good food. The indian food was at least as good as anything I've had here, just more expensive. We had an excellent Sunday pub dinner. The guidebooks weren't as helpful as they usually are though. One of the worst meals I've ever had in my life was at a recommended Fodor's budget restaurant.

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 06:47 AM
Catherine

If you are thinking of flying out of Paris to Rome then I don't think the distance is a consideration.I like London,but then I am British so a lot of what I enjoy is my own cultural identity.I absoloutley love British food.I think the places are such different experiences.How can you choose one over the other ? <BR>I liked Rome it was worth it just to see St Peters and the Parthenon.However I wouldn't go back.I liked Florence and Venice much better.

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 12:00 PM
Robin

Julie: <BR> <BR>Another London vote! Although I do love Italy (I'm one of those who actually enjoys the madness that is Roma), I think for your circumstances that London is the better choice. As already cited, it's very easy to get there from Paris (eliminating the getting to airport hassle & time it takes to fly to Rome), and there's lots to do that a teenage boy would enjoy. Plus you'll have the advantage of no language barrier. Well, actually, I should say you'll have LESS of a language barrier. <BR>And with my apologies to Catherine, I do agree with Richard - British food stinks. There are many wonderful & great things about the Brits, however their cuisine is not one of them. But you can get around that as London is full of the a wide range of ethnic eateries (from the ubiquitious American fast food to Indian to Italian and everything in between). <BR>In deference to the UK, you should try a meal or two at a pub. Prices are reasonable & at least once, try the 'fish 'n chips' or the Shepherd's Pie.