rome on 7-20-01

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 04:39 PM
alya

rome on 7-20-01

We are taking the kids 2 & 8 to rome for 6 days on 7-21-01. Any and all suggestions regarding hotels sights transport and restaurants will be greatly appreciated. Thanx

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 07:35 PM
duh

I find it hard to believe that you are leaving in a little over two weeks and you have not made any plans, have no hotel, etc. There's nothing like waiting until the last minute, I say.

Old Jul 4th, 2001, 08:56 PM
Bennett Schneir

You should get on a hotel immediately. www.venere.it has great listings of smaller hotels if you need it.

Your 8 year old will definitely not want to miss the very cool Colloseum, and might even like some of the ruins nearby. Give him/her a little history lesson along the way ("it all happened right here"). Also, Trevi fountain will definitely be fun for kids. For meals, I would recommend Da Bolognese on the Piazza di Poppolo for lunch -- pretty patio and excellent food. The gelato suggestion is a must!

Enjoy--
Bennett

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 04:37 AM
duh

Laura, you must live an awfully sheltered life if you categorize my previous response as hostile. I find it hard to believe that someone would be talking about going to Italy with two young children in two weeks and had few or no plans yet! I think you've been snookered!

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 05:39 AM
duh2

I totally agree with duh. Alys's leaving in 2 weeks with 2 kids, one who is just 2 years old and she DOES NOT even have hotel reservations???? Do you know how hard it is to find a hotel in PEAK summer season??
Alys: I"m not sure if this is going to be your first trip to Europe but unlike in the States where you can get hotel reservation a few days before you leave, in Europe and Rome in particular, you will have difficult time getting a hotel to accomodate 3-4 people in a room especially peak summer tourist season. And I was in Rome a few days ago and Boy, that city was swarming with tourists like ants!!! I suggest get to the phone fast right now and start calling.
And no Laura we are not hostile people!!

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 06:00 AM
PostGirl

We don't know what Alya's circumstances are so let's just try to help her out!

Alya, we stayed at Hotel Genio a month ago. Nice rooms and location; it's a 1-minute walk from Piazza Navona with a bus stop out front. We booked via email at [email protected] and had no problems (you may want to call the hotel directly though given the timeframe) Perhaps they will have some rooms available on short-notice.

http://www.travel.it/roma/genio/genio.html

If they don't have rooms, I would also try the Due Torri and Santa Chiari, both of which have received great reviews, just do a search on this site.

As for what to do, while in Rome simply stop in at one of the many tourist booths. They will give you information on everything and you can choose what you'd like to see.

P.S. There is a great little restaurant right next door to Hotel Genio. Also there are tons of restaurants in Piazza Navona, just take your pick.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 07:48 AM
elaine

Hi
If this is a genuine request and not a troll, I have a long file on Rome that I've been accumulating; if you'd like to see it, email me
But do book your hotel without delay!
Good luck

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 09:46 AM
duh

Thanks for the support, duh2!
Please note that about 17 hours have elapsed since Alya's original post. I hope she's busy on the phone and/or internet trying to get a hotel room. We're assuming, of course, that she has her plane tickets!
Me thinks alya might be a troll!