Reload this Page >

Rome - need help for clueless newbie

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 11:14 AM
Stephanie C.

Hello -<BR><BR>A group of four of us are going to Rome the day after Christmas for a week and I have a few questions. Some might sound silly, but hey -- we're newbies... that's to be expected!<BR><BR>1) We are going to the Opera. How dressed up should we get? I am female and wanted to wear black velvet pants and a nice sweater -- will that be acceptable?<BR><BR>2) Will we 'stick out like a sore thumb' if we wear jeans when we do our own sightseeing?<BR><BR>3) Do you have to pay to use the restroom? Oddly enough I printed out a ton of posts and must have missed the answer to this.<BR><BR>4) Can anyone give a guestimate how much cash we should convert, if any, beforehand? We have our hotel transfers already taken care of (should we give the driver a tip? if so, how do we determine how much since it was part of our package and we don't have an individual charge to figure it out?).<BR><BR>5) I've been watching the weather and I can't tell if we'll need scarves/hats, or if gloves and a coat should be fine.<BR><BR>6) OK, this is a goofy one, but is a leather coat OK? Should I bring a dressier coat?<BR><BR>7) Is a money belt really necessary?<BR><BR>Thanks in advance for any responses.<BR><BR>Stephanie C.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 11:24 AM
KDenise

Don't have all your answers, but here are a couple:<BR>Some restrooms are pay, some are not. If you see a free one, take advantage of it!<BR><BR>Cash - I was told convert $50 before you go, then hit the ATMs for the best exchange rates when you get there. They are everywhere (but make sure you take an ATM card, not a 'fake' Visa = No credit card logos, so if someone swipes it, they can't forge your signature - you must have a PIN to make the card work)<BR><BR>Money belt? DEFINITELY. And wear it on the inside of your clothes, next to your skin - it is not a purse. The one I have is both a shoulder one or a belt one, depending on what you prefer. You can keep some money and change in an easily accesible place (pocket, purse), but your passport, ID, and big bills need to be protected.

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 11:33 AM
dean

Hi<BR><BR>Enjoy Rome. For a list of thing to consider, I have "Dean's Rome Suggestions" on this board. Search on the title or my name.<BR><BR>Dressing for the opera is dilemma weather you are in Rome or in New York for the Met or in DC for our little company. You will see gowns and you will see cocktail wear and you will see jeans and teeshirts. In Italy, you will see the same. But do be a sport and dress as nice as you can. Your black velvet pants and sweater saund nice but if you have a nice dressy top/sweater maybe that would be better. <BR><BR>Jeans will not make you stick out like a sore thumb, just an American. Khakis are better, nice slacks better still. Wear a sporty coat and don't carry a huge backpack and some might think you to be British. Tee shirts are a no-no if you want to avoid the ugly American syndrome. Wear Mephisto's or Ecco and Europeans will love you! Forget your Nikes. I find my hiking boots best in Rome because of all the uneven pavement and the ancient sites.<BR><BR>Restrooms, some you pay for. Bar will let you use them free especially if you buy an caffe for L1400 which is about $.70. If there is an attendant a tip is de rigeur, I try for L500 or L1000 if the bathroom is clean. You will pay for attended bathrooms especially in the country side and at most historical sites. They can be heard to find at the darnest times so plan ahead adn anticipate your needs.<BR><BR>I always like to convert L1,000,000 (about $500) the first day because its so fun to be a millionaire. But with the Euro I would convert about $300 at a time. If your ATM has a 4 digit pin you are home free!<BR><BR>Tipping the driver is nice. I would do it based on maybe L5000 a person (one suitcase and one hand carry). If you have lots of luggage or there is some special service provided (like hauling it up lots of stairs or turning back for something forgotten) give more.<BR><BR>As to the weather, it will change hour by hour and you will likely have rain. Layers!<BR><BR>Leather coats are very common in Italy. So are fur coats! Style is in.<BR><BR>I never use a money belt because I always make small withdrawals at the Bancomat (ATM) so I dont have too much money on me. I keep my Lire loose in my front pocket and I never take my passport with me. Take a photocopy. Leave the original at the hotel in the room safe (if you can set the combination) or at the front desk.

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 11:36 AM
elaine

Hi Stephanie<BR>I have a long file on Rome; if you'd like to see it, email me.<BR>You will not stick out "like sore thumbs" if you're wearing jeans.<BR>Roman grown-ups generally don't wear them while going about their business, or even not much while at leisure in public, but that's them and you are you. As you know, there are jeans outfits and there are jeans outfits. If you're in the mood to wear a nice blazer or sweater with them, or a silk scarf as an accessory with your top, then you might feel a little chic-er. That's your call. Personally, I feel dark cotton or wool pants or skirts are just as if not more comfortable and much more versatile; a change of shoes and I'm ready to go to most places for dinner.<BR>Saves on packing, if nothing else.<BR>I understand that your airport transfer is already taken care of, but I generally like to arrive with at least<BR>$200 US. ATMs are everywhere, but your bank will probably charge you an overseas transaction fee, so when you withdraw cash get enough to last you for a couple of days at a time, taking<BR>reasonable precautions with your handbag and wallet. Leave valuables that you don't need for the day in your hotel safe.<BR>A tip to the driver would be nice, not necessary, just nice. A taxi or limo service from the airport to the city center costs in the range of 75-100,000<BR>lire. If you want to tip, I suggest 10-15% since there will be four of you, with luggage. Again, that's your call.<BR>I don't recall needing any money for any toilets except the ones in Termini station. Coins of 100, 200, or 500 Lire do come in handy for post card machines and lighting meters inside many churches.<BR>Enjoy your trip.

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 11:42 AM
elaine

Dean<BR>didn't mean to be so repetitive, I guess we were composing at the same time

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 11:52 AM
Stephanie C.

Thank you so much for the speedy replies! You all are very helpful and I really appreciate it. Dean & Elaine -- I actually read both of your trip reports/suggestions in my printouts. Very helpful -- thanks so much for taking the time to do them.<BR><BR>Do any of you have any ideas of what we can do New Year's Day? Will things be open? I know they are saying everyone goes out to eat on New Year's Eve -- any suggestions on where we should try to go? I printed out a lot of food recommendations (boy it made me hungry reading them) and there is a lot to choose from.<BR><BR>Thanks again for all the help,<BR><BR>Stephanie

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 12:01 PM
LJ

Nice tidy questions deserve nice , tidy answers so I'll do my best. <BR>1) You will "pass" with velvet pants and sweater at the Opera. You do see all kinds but most are "dressy". Italian women favour monochromatic, single-tone outfits for evening performances.<BR>2) Try black jeans to feel less North American tourist and still be yourself.<BR>3) Some washrooms charge, like in major trian and subway stations. It's handy to get small change for this purpose and keep it in a pocket.<BR>4) You will find advice on this above that is right on-ATM's are best once you get there, and you need no more than $50 to start your trip.<BR>5) Rome was really warm yesterday 14 degrees C. or high 50's low 60's. Personally I think buying a pair of leather gloves on sale after Christmas in Rome seems like a heck of a good idea, but if you must, take a pair of your old ones. I think you'll find hat and scarf unecessary, but may want to bring or buy an umbrella. You are more lkely to run into rian than cold that week.<BR>6) Your leather coat might be perfect, if its light and unlined and stylish with your other clothes (i.e. can double as a jacket at Opera or dinner). If its big and bulky, I wouldn't bother and certainly do not bring two coat/jackets.<BR>7)I don't like belts myself, thoiugh my husband favours them. I got this great little linen envelope style thing that hangs around my neck, necklace style on a cotten cord. Its just big enough for passport, credit cards, and paper money and fits neatly under the bulky sweaters I like. You can get various such accessories from travel stores and on-line. I got mine from Tilley's.<BR>8) Have a great time and let us know how the "clueless newbie" foursome liked Rome!

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 12:22 PM
alibooie

People wear jeans all over Europe - Versace, Dolce and Gabbana, Prada all have denim in their fashion lines. Just wear nice ones. As a matter of fact, every time my Spanish and French relatives come over to the States, they majorly stock up on American jeans. Besides, although there are tons of fashionable Europeans, there are also tons of just normal people who wear normal clothes, similar to what everyday, normal Americans wear every day. Americans are really no tackier than many European tourists I see here in my own hometown. People just like to give us a bad rap.

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 01:11 PM
greg

Since someone mentioned ATM, you should also read:<BR><BR>http://www.concierge.com/cntraveler/ombudsman/credit_card/index.ssf?credit4.html<BR><BR>For many people, ATM works well and do not know why the fuss. The problem is that neither the PLUS/CIRRUS reps nor the bank customer service (who the author of the article was told that the user should have contacted) do not really know BEFORE hand if the card works at all. So if your card happens to fall in this does not work category, the customer service reps are of no use. All I got was "It should work," but in fact didn't. I too got "someone did not set up your account properly for that" nonsense afterwards. So why they couldn't tell me before the trip during numerous calls I made before? About the only safeguard is to have SEVERAL ATM cards and be ready to move the funds to the account that is working by someone who can do this for you in your home country or some other means. Phone touchtone transfers do not work unless the touchtones frequencies are compatible with your home country's phone systen unless you brought a tone generator with you.

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 03:21 PM
Lisa

Hi Stephanie. My husband and I will also be in Rome about the same time as you. I think you will be dressed fine for the opera. Personally, I don't pack jeans just because they take up so much room. I did take them on one trip to visit family in the Netherlands and I did feel like I stuck out because no one else wore them. When I was in Paris last year for New Year's, I was very thankful for my windblock fleece jacket, gloves and scarf. I'm hoping that Rome may be a little warmer though; however, I am still packing the same items. I don't like wearing hats.<BR><BR>What opera are you going to see? How did you get tickets? Also, I would really appreciate it if you would share any information about New Year's that you come across (you can e-mail me directly if you like). I'm in the same boat as you trying to decide where to eat on New Year's Eve - so many choices! At first I was thinking of being around the area of the Spanish Steps, but then I heard that it got pretty rowdy last year. I'm trying to figure out where would be a good place to watch the fireworks from as well.

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 07:11 PM
Jon

Stephanie,<BR>Myself and 5 guy friends are leaving DC for Italy the 27th. We'll also be in Rome for New Years and are looking for some fun times! I've met a couple people from Rome online and I am gathering some suggestions. I'd love to compare notes! Need dates for the Opera?? <BR>

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 08:04 AM
Stephanie C.

Lisa & Jon,<BR><BR>Unfortunately I don't have *any* ideas besides going out to eat for NYE. It sounds like Jon might have gotten some information? <BR><BR>Lisa - we got our opera tickets online, but I'm not sure if they're selling them online anymore. Our friends who are going with us had to call the office directly (and they called *two* months later), but were still able to get good seats by us.<BR><BR>Check out &lt;a href ="http://www.operabase.com/level1/wirmo.html"&gt;http://www.operabase.com/level1/wirmo.html&lt;/a&gt; (I hope HTML works here -- was unsure)<BR><BR>Jon... Your message cracked me up. I told my husband that you wondered if we wanted dates to the opera and he said (without smiling) 'well, is he cute?'. Anyway, I'd love to know what you've found out about NYE, too. We're all originally from NYC.<BR><BR>Thanks again for all of the replies!<BR><BR>Stephanie

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 08:06 AM
Stephanie C.

OK, it looks like HTML doesn't work. Sorry about that. The site is:<BR>http://www.operabase.com/level1/wirmo.html<BR>and it had a bunch of information. You want Teatro dell'Opera.<BR><BR>Good luck!<BR><BR>Stephanie

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 08:47 AM
Jon

Husband?! Drat!!<BR>Thanks for the opera site.. Looks like a beautiful venue. I'm still waiting to hear about NYE events I'll post soon.

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 09:10 AM
Stephanie C.

Thanks, Jon. I am calling my hotel to find out if they have a recommendation, also. I wish I knew Italian better!

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 09:14 AM
britabroad

Just a quickie on the subject of jeans -it's not so much the jeans but jeans, plus sneakers that's a giveaway. Youngsters in Europe wear jeans + sneakers but over 20's tend to wear jeans plus 'regular' shoes. Hope I'm not opening a can of worms here!!

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 10:29 AM
steve

For any other questions you might check out a site with a wealth of info (you probably know this one already: twenj.com

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 06:37 PM
tonyccc

RE: New Years Eve<BR>We will also be in Rome for 4 nights,<BR>the last being New Years Eve.<BR>We have been to Rome several times before, but always in the summer.<BR>I know that the Borghese Gallery is open on Dec. 31st, and expect most of the major tourist sites are also.<BR>Restuarants, however, may be a different story. I have e-mailed 3 different ones recently and have not yet received a reply. However, I know that the ASINOCOTTO in the Trastevere<BR>is offering a special 7 course meal with wine on New Years Eve.<BR>Whatever may happen, we plan on celebrating the New Year with the crowds at the Piazza del Popolo<BR><BR>

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 06:59 PM
Nancy

What is this American fixation on jeans. For heaven's sakes buy some black slacks and look like you have some style or some black jeans, if you have to. Jeans and sweatshirts are fine if you are a young, thin schoolage person. But, if you are asking, you must want to look a little chic, so go for style.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 11:14 AM
Stephanie C.

Steve - Thank you for that site. I was pointed to it once a few weeks ago, and had somehow lost the address. Lots of good info there.<BR><BR>Tony - I think the gallery might be closed on NYE only because it's a Monday and that's the day it's normally closed. It is open on New Year's Day, though.<BR><BR>Nancy - well that was an interesting post. I'm not 'fixated' on jeans. I was simply curious as I've never been to Italy. <BR><BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -