Rome: Modest Hotels, Convents or B&Bs

Nov 26th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Rome: Modest Hotels, Convents or B&Bs

Would appreciate your recommendations for a five night stay in mid-May 06.
Hoping to pay around 110E per night for a double with a private bath and breakfast. Is that realistic?

Am I doomed to staying around the train station at that price? Looking to stay in an area that is central and
good for wandering around.

Should I get a place with AC?

Anyone ever stay in a convent?

Nov 26th, 2005, 11:16 AM

That budget is kind of at the low end of the scale for a central neighborhood that's still nice, private bath, decent breakfast included and AC. (And yes - I would not stay in rome in May without AC - but that depends on your tolerance for heat and street noise).

It may be possible- but I think kind of tough.

Which - if any - are you willing to give on?
Nov 26th, 2005, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

hi nytraveler - thanks fro the input.

I'm willing to go "bare bones" so to speak, but I'm taking my college-age son to Europe for the first time. I'm concerned about getting the trip off on the wrong foot. He is not fussy or high maint, but ...... .

You know first impressions are. Also going to Venice so no relief in sight for pricing. Guess I'll have to bump the budget up a bit to avoid staying too far away from the center.
Nov 26th, 2005, 11:40 AM

Hi Cato - sounds like a fun trip. I stayed at Hotel Julia one night in March. I had a single room for about 70Euro (the doubles are in your price range I think). The room was small, no shower in the room and a good breakfast. The staff were very helpful and arranged a shuttle from the airport for 12 Euro - a bargain! Their website is http://www.hoteljulia.it/

They also own the Domus Julia, which looked good but was full when I was booking.

I did some research into convents but couldn't get a room at the ones that looked best for me. You might be able to get 2 singles at one of them for about the same as a double somewhere else. This website is very helpful for researching convent stays.

http://www.santasusanna.org/comingToRome/convents.html
Nov 26th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

cls2paris - thanks for the info. That site is a great resource. No excuse now not to attend mass.
Nov 26th, 2005, 01:46 PM

You may be able to find an apartment for roughly that price. Of coures it would not include breakfast, but usually there is no tax on the apartment rate - what you see on a web site is all you'll pay. We rented a large apartment in June that, according to the web site, costs 140 euro per night for 1 or 2 people. (It specifies high and low season, but I remember his high season was only Easter.) It was great. The landlord even picks you up and drops you off at the airport for no extra charge! Or you may be able to find a smaller apartment for less. Here is the web site and my trip report:

http://www.rome-apartments-for-rent....pellegrino.asp

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34645892
Nov 26th, 2005, 01:48 PM

Hi Cato

I am travelling to Italy next year in June with a similar accomm budget to yourself. I found this hotel in Venice to be good value at 90e a night for a double with private facilities and breakfast. It is located close to San Marco. www.venice-hotel.hotelmercurio.com/index.htm

I also booked a B&B in Rome called "Massimo Zoli" Bed and Breakfast. It is located near the Vatican, a double with share facilities and breakfast was 70E a night. I booked it through Venere here is the link www.venere.com/hotel/index.php?htid=112516&

Hope this helps Cheers
Nov 26th, 2005, 01:58 PM

I stayed at a convent in Sept, Istituto Santa Giuliana Falconieri, Via San Giuseppe Calasanzio, 1. Fabulous location, just a couple of minutes from Piazza Navona. 45E for single, 75E for double, including continental breakfast. They only have one double room that has ensuite bath, the rest are shared, so if you're interested, check soon to see if that one with ensuite is available. At that price, though, you and your son could each have a single room, although no single rooms have ensuite bath. I NEVER thought I would stay in a room with a shared bath, but the price, location and elevator convinced me to try it. It really wasn't bad at all. It's still a separate room that you lock while you're in there, not like someone would be in there at the same time.
Nov 26th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again - anyone else have any more suggestions?
Nov 27th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Nov 27th, 2005, 10:00 AM

We recently stayed at Le Suite di via Ottaviano, www.lesuitediviaottaviano.com, located within a five minute walk to the Vatican, and five minute walk to the metro which will take you anywhere you want to go in Rome. The suites, with marble bathrooms were newly refurbished in an 1800 building, and were extremely comfortable. Angelo, the owner offered nice suggestions of local, inexpensive trattorias that were always packed, and for a good reason-great food! Look at his web site for nice photos of the suites. We paid 120 E in October, which I found to be a deal for such a nice place in Rome.
Nov 27th, 2005, 10:25 AM

"bookmarking" for future reference.
Nov 27th, 2005, 12:29 PM

You are not doomed to stay right by the train station. You may want to consider other areas of Rome in your search; one is by the Vatican and another is Trastevere.

For any hotel you are searching, I really like the mappy site to see for myself how far things really are. You may also map distance to metro stations. http://www.mappy.co.uk/

Here is a prior thread on the Vatican.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...t=0&dirtyBit=1

Here is another convent not yet on Santa Susanna's website:

Villa Maria Pia <[email protected]>
Phone: 06.66416657 and 06.66541429
The good news is it is fairly new and contains private bath with shower, telephone, television and individual heater. Because it is new, it may have A/C. Unfortunately, it is further west than the Vatican, near the Cornelia Metro stop (Via Aurelia 564.)

50 Euro for one, 70 Euros for 2 people and 90 Euros for 3 people per room.

Nov 27th, 2005, 03:39 PM

Hi Cato,

I traveled solo in Sept and so had a limited budget. I stayed at Hotel Giardino Rome, 2* in a single room for 90E /night. I thought the location was excellent! Easy walking distance (5 - 15 minutes) to everywhere but the Vatican. It's just behind Trajan's Market, near the Quirinale.

Cosy, homey, no elevator, private baths, breakfast the usual, nice double paned windows for quiet, A/C, decent size baths.

Katy and her staff are extremely helpful and friendly. Very prompt in answering e mails.

Taxi from Termini cost 6 - 8 E with 1 piece of luggage.

Buon viaggio!
Nov 27th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again - lots of good options here.
Dec 3rd, 2005, 02:00 PM

We recently stayed at Marco and Maddy's B & B in the heart of Roma. I felt like I was with friends who knew their city well and were able to direct you anywhere.
Marco is a historian and loves the architecture. Maddy lived for many years in Canada so her English is excellent.
There B & B is within walking distance of the Fourum and Collisium (we went by moonlight---it was awesome)and right off San Giovanni Piazza and it's famous church.
There is also free internet which I didn't find at any other of our many pricier hotels.
We had 5 people in November and paid 155 per night for all of us which was for a triple and a double with a bathroom down the hall. The price included good fresh rolls and wonderful coffee in the morning.
It is a very secure location and quite a find.
Good luck!
Yolanda
Check it out...
ROMAN ITALIAN Bed&Breakfast
www.romanitalian.com
www.italianbandb.com
Dec 3rd, 2005, 02:13 PM

I have stayed at the apartment wilwi mentions. Also, this past May my sister and I stayed in a semi-barebones studio apartment on via dei Cappellari. Rented from realrome.com. For 5 nights it's 97E per night.

Good luck.
Dec 3rd, 2005, 07:03 PM

bookmarking
Dec 3rd, 2005, 10:33 PM

Hotel Daphne. It's a cute B&B with excellent service. There are two: Daphne Trevi and Daphne Barberini. Both are great but we actually stayed in Barberini. 100E per night (last May when we were there--we got a deal online--). Good luck!
Dec 3rd, 2005, 10:37 PM

Daphne Inn is the proper name. Sorry!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO