Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome itinerary check over New Years....comments?? suggestions??

Nov 13th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

I am traveling to Rome (after five days in Venice) with my family of four, two teen sons 16 and 18, and would appreciate a look over if you are able!! Tentative daily plans with restaurants are listed. Will book some tours once I get dates finalized...

Just if you have an idea in the area, or foresee an issue, please let me know! Thanks in advance, and for all the great tips I have found in these forums!!

Day 1 / Friday December 27

Leave Venice and take train to Rome Termini. Cab from Termini. Arrive afternoon and check into our apartment near Pantheon.

Figure out immediate neighborhood, pick up a few groceries and have dinner at Armando al Pantheon (plan to make 7:30pm reservation)…pasta e ceci for me!

Day 2 / Saturday December 28

Explore Historic Center and Campo Fiori area during Day…possibly tour Palazzo Farnese…possibly into Ghetto.

Dining options:
Pantheon area: Maccheroni, Boccondivino, Renato e Luisa, Al Vicario (lunch buffet), Cul de Sac, Chiostro del Bramante,

Campo de Fiori / Ghetto area: Bar Farnese, Nonna Betta (!), Cesare Al Casaletto (!)

Day 3 / Sunday December 29

Free day at the Vatican, so we head to Coliseum! Tour (havent scheduled yet but looking at Walks of Italy, 3 Millennia, Context) Plan to do upper and lower parts of Coliseum, and Forum. Praying for nice weather as this will be an inflexible day. Explore a bit of Monti IF we have the legs!

Dining options:

Monti area: Taverna dei Fiori Imperial, Urbana 47, Danilo, Pizza e Mortadella (quick pizza), Al Moro (dinner), Trattoria Monti, Gaudeo (quick bite), Li Rioni (right by coliseum)

Day 4 / Monday December 30

Continue to explore Monti / Circus Maximus / continue into Testacco

Dining options:

Testacco: Agustarello a Testaccio, Flavio al Velavevodetto, Checchino dal 1887, Da Carlone, Da Felice, Mordi e Vai,

Day 5 / Tuesday December 31

Vatican / Prati area

Book tour…haven’t yet, but talking to the above companies, and about 2:30 tours, even on NY eve, they have them, and hoping for fewer crowds.

Dining options: feel I must visit Pizzarium at some point in the day…before the tour?? The evening is NY eve, and THIS IS WIDE OPEN. I would like to book a nice place, and not too late…8pm? but not spend MAJOR bucks…some have 100euro pp specials, which we won’t do. Just want something not too far from Pantheon area (apt) and special, memorable, good. thoughts are Renato e Luisa, Costanza, Osteria Fernando, Cul de Sac ($). I welcome ideas here.

Day 6 / Wednesday January 1 HOLIDAY

Trastevere. Explore. Hopefully eat!

Dining optionssteria Fernanda, Caffe di Marzia, Pancotta, La Mani in Pasta, Da Remo

Day 7 / Thursday January 2

Train to Pompeii, yes, a long day, but kids want to do this and I don’t think Ostia Antica will work. They want Pompeii. Still plotting this out, but seems doable. Early train, may spend time after in Naples to visit the museum and grab a pizza. Late train home.

Day 8 / Friday January 3

Last full day here, Spanish Steps and Villa Borghese

Will buy admission in advance.

Dining options: ‘Gusto, Osteria del Tempo Perso, Otello alla Concordia, AND something special for our last night in Rome….preferably in this area or down toward our home, at Pantheon.

Day 9 / Saturday January 4…head to airport!

MUCH wandering around the areas mentioned will take place, but that is a brief layout. YES, a lot centers on FOOD, but such a bummer to have a bad meal when you don’t have to, so I am really trying to plan that out.
Nov 13th, 2013, 12:27 PM

Looks great - The only issue I see is Palazzo Farnese.

It's only open to visitors on Monday, Wednesday, or Friday.

English language visits are only on Wednesdays at 5:00 pm.

Also, you need to reserve at least one week in advance. Here:

http://www.inventerrome.com/index.ph.../article?id=13
Nov 13th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

In that Wednesday is New Years Day, I guess we will save this for next time! Good to know! Thanks!!
Nov 13th, 2013, 05:29 PM

mmmooommm, Living in Rome our way to beat the hefty New Year's Eve prices was to eat a HUGE lunch on that day (That became our NYE meal), and then purchase cheese, pasta, etc... for dinner and cook at home. Which you could do in your apt. We then would head out about 9-10 PM and spend the evening on the streets of Rome.

If you DO plan to eat out on NYE, definitely make your reservations in advance. One year we waited too late and were shut out at all our favorite spots.

On New Year's Day you could head to St Peters and see the "parade" (rather informally done); there are very few places open on this date so not sure what you'll see in Trastevere besides churches. There will be some restaurants open though. Page down to the bottom of this article to see NYE and NY Day photos. http://tinyurl.com/ycda3w3

Not sure if the basement of the Colosseo will be open in December - certainly ask whoever you build your tour with. Have you also though about getting a SCAVI tour? It's relatively inexpensive and has a "cool" factor that many teens appreciate (you have to be over 15 so I'd being ID for your 16 year-old).

Besides Easter, this week is perhaps the BUSIEST of the year for the Vatican so be prepared for crowds there. All the buses/metro will be on holiday schedule so you'll have to be MORE patient if using public transportation. I think you are giving yourself plenty of time... And I'd eat at Pizzarium BEFORE going on your Vatican tour. You can ride the 492 bus all the way to Cipro from the Pantheon area and walk 100 meters to Pizzarium. Great pizza (we lived about 2 blocks from there and frequented often - you might try Piacere Molise at Via Candia, 60 if you want a sit-down meal in the Vatican area).

Have fun!
Nov 14th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

rineurope, I will check into the Scavi tour as a combo with the vatican. and thanks for the tip on getting there.

do you have any place to recommend for NY eve/day meals? Awesome to live by there. I stayed in a convent years ago around the corner (and up 72 steps) from the vatican.

I loved your link. wow, sounds crazy!

I am trying to not pack too much into a day...one thing (or two) knowing wandering is the fun! Just don't want to backtrack over places as I have some trips!!
Dec 8th, 2013, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

rineurope, did get in the Scavi tour, FYI, pretty quick response and got what I wanted...

Booked a Through Eternity Coliseum tour...still waiting, procrastinating, the Vatican tour. good idea on the meal issue...big lunch, lighter dinner. Have made a few reservations, but several only take phone reservations, and haven't done that yet. And thanks for the bus info. Sounds like you know your way around pretty well. And the restaurant link.

Rome is shaping up pretty well. Got a Domus ROmane reservation. Still trying to decide about Borghese Galleries. I know it is another must do, but I can't quite bite off on another blocked in reservation...I like spontaneity, and another art museum?? Kids may be on art overload. Comments?? Is it a must do?? Even seeing the art at the Vatican?? Is the setting so spectacular it makes it worth it?? Hmm.

ANyway, thanks all.
Dec 11th, 2013, 05:03 AM

mmmooommm

For info on a tour of St Peter's, email the below:

Bishops’ Office for United States Visitors to the Vatican
Via dell’Umiltà, 30 - 00187 Rome
e-mail: [email protected]

I did not do this, but, I just happened to be in St. Peter's when it started and I saw a seminiarian talking to a group of visitors.

Given that this will be January, I wonder if you could play the Borghese by ear and just get tickets when you arrive in Rome. It's a good 20 minute cab ride each way, plus the time spent there. Plus your kids may be, as you said, done with museums. On the other hand it's good exposure to them while young. Maybe turn it into a treasure hunt for them: spot the Caravaggios. Or the Canova, etc.
Dec 11th, 2013, 05:04 AM

ps. they can also help you get Papal general audience tickets, which is every Wednesday morning.