Rome itinerary advice wanted

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been working on the itinerary for my husband and my first trip to Rome in Feb. We are mid-40s,my husband is a reluctant traveller--I've learned that he does much better with a structured trip--he's not so good at being footloose and fancyfree. Sad but true. I've scheduled one significant sight each day and have left the rest of the day free for exploring Rome by foot. Any comments would be appreciated. My husband is a commecial artist so art is of particular interest.

We leave Tuesday Feb 6 but arrive around noon on the 7th. I'm not scheduling anything (due to jet lag) but could possibly try to see the Pantheon with Angel Tours free tour. We're staying at the Hotel Paba near the Colisseum.

Thursday Feb 8 - we have a 9:15 Scavi reservation. I think the rest of the day will be unstructured (explore Trastevere perhaps)

Friday Feb 9 - Vatican museums with either RomeWalks or ContextRome

Saturday Feb 10 Colisseum/Forum with RomeWalks or Icon Tours (I'm having a hard time finding a saturday a.m. tour)

Sunday Feb 11 Borghese Gallery

Monday Feb 12 Pilgrim's Way with Anno-Domino -- I can't find a lot of reviews for this but it sounds like an interesting tour

Tuesday Feb 13 (last day) Galleria Doria Pamphilj

Any input? Thanks in advance--
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 01:05 PM

We cruised Brilliance of the Seas this past summer and I would HIGHLY recommend the following tour guide :

Daniele @
www.driverinrome.com

We used their tour in Rome, but they also do tours in all the ports the ship docks, including Florence & Pisa. We did Florence and Pisa on our own and ran short on time because some of the lines in Florence were long and we couldn't get in.

The tour in Rome was well worth the price,cheaper than what the ship was charging. Daniele picked us up right outside the ship with a sign with our last name on it. He explained the history of all the sites we saw and kept us on schedule to beat the crowds are certain venues. He used walkie talkies to help us manage our time and for him to meet us as soon as we exited the sites and on to the next site. Worked out great! We saw everything we wanted to and then some. We wished we would have used them in Florence too.

I am sure he can arrange a tour starting from Rome and not the port

P.S. You can email Daniele from his web site and he usually replies within one day. All you have to do is email him to make a reservation. No money upfront and they take US dollars, travelers checks and Euros.

Good Luck!
Pat

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 07:49 PM

Hi Outwest,

My family and I just returned from our Italy trip which included 5 days in Rome. My husband and I are the same age as you but we have three teenage children who came with us. We did the Scavi tour on our first day in Rome and was a great way to begin the trip. We did the Vatican Museams and Ancient Rome tours with RomeWalks and I would highly recommend both tours. We also visited the Borghese Gallery. I was concerned about making sure that I structured something for each day because I had so many competing interests to satisfy. Howevere there was still plenty of time to wander and soak up the atmosphere. We spent a lot of time just wandering as it seems there is something to "see" everywhere you turn. Rome is a great city - loved by all in our family.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:33 AM

outwest, here's a link to my recent Rome trip report. I took many tours and have reviewed each of them. The Pilgrims Way with Anno Domini was fantastic; our guide was Sevrag and he was wonderful.http://www.slowtrav.com/tr/tripreport.asp?tripid=1158
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 05:39 AM

Hi

My wife and I went to Rome in the summer of 2005 and it is a wonderful city. I have posted a trip report with pictures and links on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm . I have also made an interactive Google map on http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy_map.htm which could be of help to you in the planning. Click on the different markers to get more information. Good luck with the planning

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your replies. I feel more confident about my decisions and think I'll go ahead and reserve.

aussiefive--that's what I was hoping--that there'd still be time to absorb the atmosphere--I don't want to micro-plan but do want to see as much as we can.

Margaretlb--that's funny, I discovered your SlowTrav report last night and read your Pilgrim's Way description--a fantastic and informative report.

And Gard I always enjoy reading your posts--and have checked out your trip report. The trip reports on all these forums have been incredibly helpful.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 07:36 AM

Your plans look great. You've left plenty of open time.
I probably would have planned my Scavi day as my "Vatican Day" and tour St. Peter's and the museum that day, but your plans look fine.
most of my trips to Rome have been for a week and I find that it seems to be a perfect amount of time to enjoy thid great city and still have much to return to.