walking tours in Rome and Florence

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 09:48 AM
annie

walking tours in Rome and Florence

Does anyone have recommendations on tour companies in Rome and Florence, we tried scala reale but they are expensive, we would prefer a small group or even a tour only for ourselves if that is possible

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 10:06 AM
donna

Hi Annie - I am looking for walking tours in Rome myself for September. I found this site a few weeks ago and have been able to find lots of info on my upcoming Italy trip. If you put "rome walking tours" in the text box you will get all the posts on that subject. I found one which led me to enjoyrome.com and there are many more. Good luck.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 10:58 AM
Book Chick

Hi Annie,<BR>I had really good experiences with the American Express office in Rome.<BR><BR>Buon Viaggio,<BR>BC

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 11:23 AM
gaye

In Rome we used Through Eternity - www througheternity.com and felt the tour was good and there were only 10 in our group. In Florence we used Walking Tours of Florence - www.artviva.com. This company does lots of different types of tours. The guide we had was excellent and we enjoyed that tour so much.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 11:39 AM
KC

I had private guide in Rome and then again a different guide in Venice during Easter of 2001. In Rome we used her on 3 different days, two 1/2 days and a whole day with a driver to go out to Ostia Antica. She was extremely animated and so so worth it. If you are interested in her info, send me mail and I will find her name and info for you.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 01:53 PM
ellen

I had a good experience with Enjoy Rome. They are much cheaper than Scala Reale and cover the same ground. They have a website.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 01:18 AM
Natalie

There are soo many different companies to choose from it can be confusing!<BR><BR>I can certainly send you some details of tours in Rome and Florence. The Florence tours are all private tours and you can choose to have a private or scheduled tour in Rome.<BR><BR>Please feel free to contact me and I will send you the documents.<BR><BR>Regards.<BR><BR>Natalie<BR>www.nlbtravel.co.uk

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Terry

My husband and I were in Rome in April. We took a couple of private tours with a great guide, Giulia Bernardini. We did the Vatican Museums and St. Peter's. We also took the Ancient Rome tour with her. She only takes private and small groups. You can reach her at [email protected]. Tell her Mark and Terry sent you!<BR><BR>

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Vita

I did the evening walking tour with Enjoy Rome and hope to do other tours with them on my next trip.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 06:55 AM
xxx

Try [email protected] they have had some excellent reviews on this forum.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 08:58 PM
xxx

ttt

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Trish

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 01:28 PM
jenniferh

We had a great guide in Rome when we were there last year.<BR><BR>Mayta (www.eternaltourist.com) is one of the few Americans to be an officially licensed guide in Rome.<BR><BR>She offers private tours to small groups and families, walking tours of the Vatican, the fountains and squares, Trastevere and Campo dei Fiori areas, and can also arrange for an air conditioned car or minivan with driver for excursions in and around Rome.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 11:22 PM
Cannis

VERY DISAPPOINTED WITH THROUGHETERNITY TOURS. We waited at the Forum in late Oct 2002 and no one showed up. Apparently they have too few bookings on that day and decided to cancel it. They didn't even bother to call, email us or send someone down to inform us. So what if there's a lot of people who recommended them. This type of customer service should be thrown to the rats. On a bright side, Luke from Roman holiday rescued us and let us join his tour which we thoroughly enjoy. Bravo to Luke !!!

Old Nov 4th, 2002, 11:57 PM
ttt

ttt

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 01:40 AM
Michael

Hi Annie, <BR>Four of us signed up for the Vatican City Walk with Rome Walks. It was amazing! We enjoyed it so much that we schedule two other tours with them. The groups are small, informative and a lot of fun. We happened to see some of their guides on the Discovery Channel. The website is www.romewalks.com

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Elaine

We used Mayta, The Eternal Tourist, in October 2002 for half-day to see gardens at Tivoli. Knowledgeable, but I would not recommend. For a 5 hour booking, at least 3 hours was spent in travel or lunch without her providing significant insight without our constantly asking questions. Overall, we felt like we wasted 400 Euros.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 11:23 PM
Cookie

We used Scala Reale in Rome for 2 tours and even though they were expensive it was WELL worth it.<BR><BR>On the other hand, we used Walking Tours of Florence twice and were immensely disappointed with both. We took the trip to San Gimignano and Siena and it was basically a VERY expensive bus trip. We were mostly on our own once we got there! <BR><BR>The wine tour was equally disappointing as we drove up the hill from Florence to a castle for a sample of wine then stopped in a little down on the way back down (again totally on our own) and home. <BR><BR>I was sooo disappointed as I really wanted to see the Chianti countryside and more of the wine making process, so I tried American Express and had no luck there either.<BR><BR>I was instructed to come to their office at a specified time (just before the tour was to leave)so I could pay for the tour &amp; they would tell me where the bus was. When I got there the office was closed, so we missed our last opportunity to see something that I was really looking forward to. <BR><BR>I saw a lot of spectacular sites, but I really feel cheated especially as I will<BR>probably never be fortuate enough to go<BR>back to Italy (I waited 27 years to do <BR>this trip)<BR><BR>I feel they mislead me as I asked very specific questions about the tours in Florence. I don't know what else I could have done. Just take it from me, <BR>though, if there's something you really want to see, check sites like this to see what other people's experiences are rather than relying on tour companies tell you. They tell you what you want to hear.<BR><BR>I hope you have better luck.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Marcy

I've heard that there is a week every year called &quot;Italian Culture week&quot; where all state run museums in Italy are free.<BR><BR>Does anybody know the 2003 culture week dates?<BR><BR>-Marcy

Old Dec 28th, 2005, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My daughter and I really enjoyed Rome Walks. The people giving the tours were very nice and knowledgeable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -