Rome itinerary...

Sep 19th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

Rome itinerary...

We are leaving for Rome on Friday and I wanted to get some feedback on our itinerary. This trip is celebrating my 40th birthday (yikes) and my two dds are going with me. They are 13 and 10. We are also meeting our exchange student that we had 4 years ago. She is coming with her mom and cousin. We speak only English, our exchange students speaks Spanish and English and her mom and cousin speak only Spanish. We have rented an apartment near the Piazza Navona. This is a rough plan of our days and I would appreciate any suggestions that you think my group enjoy. Thanks!!

Saturday- My girls and I arrive Saturday morning. We are taking the local train into Rome and then on to our apartment. We want to spend the afternoon getting to know the neighborhood and then plan on doing a New Rome tour at 5:30 to get acquainted with the city. Our Spanish friends arrive later in the evening.

Sunday-
Porto Portese Flea Market
Pantheon
Spanish Steps
Trevi Fountain
Piazza Navona

Monday-
Colosseum
Forum
Palantine Hill

Tuesday-
Capuchin Crypts
Borghese Museum and Gardens

Wednesday-
Ostia Antica

Thursday-
Vatican Museums
St. Peter
Castel Sant Angelo

Friday-
Undecided....maybe a day trip to Florence. Can anyone tell me how much it would cost for a round trip for an adult, 13yo, and 10yo? Is it too much to do in one day??

Saturday-
Circo Massimo
San Clemente
Enjoying our last day by wandering around...

We plan on doing the Roma Pass, I think that it is economical even for my girls. I have a scavenger hunt planned along with looking for obelisks. We are not foodies at all and will probably just pick up food when we are hungry. Most dinners will be at the apartment. I will take any and all suggestions for our much anticipated trip. Thank you!!

Tina
Sep 19th, 2010, 10:33 PM

I'll let others answer different questions but here's a recent thread on Florence for a day-
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...m-i-crazy-.cfm
and train costs-
http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...0080a3e90aRCRD
Sep 20th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you...do you know what age is considered a child?
Sep 20th, 2010, 02:00 PM

From the website-
"Ticket prices for youngsters and children
Children under the age of 4 travel free of charge in both first and second class but they do not have the right to a seat. Children still under 12 (considered as the day after the birthday), can occupy a seat, travelling for 50% off and 30% off in WL and CC."
Sep 20th, 2010, 02:07 PM

You've certainly honed in on the top attractions. I frequently attempt to advise families to slow down and build in extra time. You never realize the effect jet lag will have--you'll need a break and time to put your feet up. And you'll never know when the urge for a gelato will strike. Also, if you plan to indulge, a big lunch in Rome can last 1 1/2 to 2 hours. You want to plan for the unexpected. As long as you and your traveling companions can be flexible, and maybe skip a sight or two during the week so that you can spend some time savoring the street life of Rome, you're sure to have a great time.

For example, Porta Portese is a fun place to wander and browse, but it is often very crowded and can take your whole morning. I think this is a great activity, but if not everyone is into it, it's far from P.za Navona and might be on the list "for your next visit."

I'd skip Ostia Antica and spend the time in the neighborhood of Trastevere instead (that wasn't on your list.) Trastevere is very charming, and there are fun shops, beautiful piazzas and great outdoor dining.

Note you need to reserve ahead of time to enter the Borghese Gardens Museum. You can do so online. Personally, I am not a huge fan of the Borghese Gardens. For a truly spectacular view, I like Janiculum Hill or Gianicolo, in Italian. It's bus 41 from viale Trastevere in Trastevere. From up here you'll get a sweeping view of all of Rome, then you can walk down into Trastevere. (Note: if you do go to Porta Portese, it's on the edge of Trastevere.)

Finally, don't forget to visit the food market in Campo de'Fiori, especially if you're in an apartment. This is the best way to pick up some snacks and food, and to me, this market represents what's most enjoyable about Rome -- street life.

Buon viaggio!
Sep 20th, 2010, 02:38 PM

Thursday is too loaded; try to switch some stuff around- suggest you take some of the Sunday stuff and cover it on Saturday. If you are staying near Piazza Navona I am not sure why you have to list it. This will probably be your every evening downtime spot with a nice gelato on hand . I would try to accomodate day trips like Florence early on because as the week wears out so will you an dthe children. Florence should not be miss and should be enjoyed at your best. Also consider Pompeii
Sep 20th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Ok, I will switch Castel Sant Angel to another day. Ostis Antics has to stay because that is the day my 10 year old planned. The Porto Portese day was planned by my 13 year old so even if we drop from exhaustion, we must do it. These days got my girls excited about the trip and Roman history so no changes to those days. We are also very adaptable and do not worry about changing plans if necessary. We considered Pompeii but the trip is just too long for a day trip. Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming!!
Sep 20th, 2010, 03:53 PM

Tina, this was a hard lesson my daughter and I kept forgetting... Most restaurants close up at 2 or 2:30 and then re-open for dinner. So, it might be best to know where the nearest enoteca is so you can always get something quick and/or to take back to apartment. And/or make sure you have snacks with you like trail mix or fruit.

Sounds like a fun trip and your itinerary sounds pretty good. Just remember, by the 3rd or 4th day, everyone will be starting to drag. So plan enough rest stops and food/watering holes along the way.

Also, it might be fun to pick up a bunch of post cards the first day and let the kids each fill out a postcard to themselves every night with their days' activities. Mail them home and when they get there, they have the chronological order of what they saw/did, could write their own "trip reports" for classmates or friends, and can include them in a scrapbook with their other trip memorabilia.

Buon viaggio!
Sep 20th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Great idea, Sarge...we will definitely do that. I also might do it :0)
Sep 21st, 2010, 03:20 AM

bookmarking
Sep 21st, 2010, 03:58 AM

I fully agree with Ostia Antica. It is beautiful, easy to get to and never crowded. Now, here is a tip that few follow, but makes touring the ruins much better.

Once you enter the park, instead of starting in the front, go all the way to the back and then come forward. The reason being is that most people get tied up looking at everything in the front, but miss out on the amazing things that exist in the rear. Bring along a picnic lunch and have a great lunch in the ruins.

Also, there are many places that are not on the "roads", but should not be missed. Almost nobody ever goes to these places. An example is there is a place diagonally across from the amphitheater. It is in the bushes, but you will see it from the top of any of the tall structures. The location name escapes me now. Anyway, you'll see a series of columns just kind of standing in the middle of a field. You cannot see them from the road. Once in there, you'll find a little building with some absolutely beautiful colored mosaic tiles, which are very rare in Ostia.

In the rear of the park, right at the little walking bridge, you'll find a kind of ancient "sports bar". Look for the mosaics of Alexander and Helix. They were kind of like our version of sports stars. At the fish monger's location, notice how the design of the table is almost identical to what we now use as picnic tables in parks.

dave
Sep 21st, 2010, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Dave! My youngest daughter is really looking forward to crawling all around the ruins!!
Sep 22nd, 2010, 03:39 PM

If you want, go to my website and look on the Google Maps menu. When you click on it you'll see Passage to Roma 2010. Use that map. It is a series of six, 1/2 day tours. At each location is an MP3 file describing the location and how to get to the next.

You can also download my free guidebook, which is in the Library menu area. In the front of the book it tells you how to print it out and get it bound at an office supply for about $4. The pdf book file is free.

www.passagetoroma.com

Oh, and don't pay much attention to the "favorite bus routes", I'm having to update them now, as ATAC has changed their website, which it links to.

dave