Rome, Italy

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome, Italy

Can anyone recommend a hotel or residence in Rome. We're a family of four (two teenagers) and we want to stay in one room. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 09:36 AM
MaureenB

Try the Domus Julia. It is located near the Barberini Palace and Spanish Steps, on a relatively quiet side street. It is not expensive, offers a nice breakfast in the sister property next door, the Hotel Julia.

Domus Julia has apartment style rooms, so could work for your family of four. We had just a twin room, which shared a nice dining room/kitchen. It was very clean, new bathroom, and a great value.
>-

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:32 AM

Don't know if you are aware of these sites, but the reviews on slowtrav.com (find the apartment reviews), tripadisor.com, fodors.com, venere.com, frommers.com, & ricksteves.com are great resources. I suggest that whatever you decide, check out the reviews before commiting.

I just did an extensive search for our Nov trip; wanted apartment for the 3 of us. Here's what I found that was acceptable to us:

1. dolceroma.com - very high ratings; private owner apts in various areas; prices good; owner gives you a cell phone to use in order to reach her at any time; our 1st choice, but not available for our dates; apts look great; plan to try one of these in 2008; bedrooms are actually separate rooms, not extra bed(s) in living room or kitchen or the 1 bedroom.

2. residenzagiubbonari.com - very high reviews; several apts. in one building in campo dei fiori; these apts. looked very good; would like to try here also; has a penthouse with very large top-deck area; has elevator;

3. navonasuitesrome.com - private owner; we stayed there last year but this year decided to try different area; would recommend & gets top reviews; just steps from P.Navona; has 2 apts. with shared kitchen-can rent both to make 2 bedrooms; has 1 large unit to sleep 4 or more, but only 1 bedroom is in separate room - that's the one we rented - it's fairly large, 2 baths; 2 twin beds in the large entrance hall; also sofa bed in living/kitchen area.

4. i also did a check on apartment rental agencies - all got bad reviews except a smaller one - domusintl.com.

5. we decided on residencebarberini.com because we wanted to try that area for something different; gets great reviews; we'll see how it goes!

Good luck, Julie
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:40 AM
J62

I recently stayed at residenzagiubbonari.com, Blue apartment on the 1st floor, based on slowtrav recommendations.

Location was excellent. 2br apartment was spacious and comfortable.

Via Giubbonari does get a lot of noisy pedestrian traffic most nights till about midnight, so you need to close the windows tight.

Apartment was not immaculate - Rome is a dirty city and floors were a bit dirty, but not a big deal.

No internet connection (wireless) at the apartment.

Very close to a nice supermarket & bakery, convenient to buses and local sights, Trastevere, etc.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 03:22 AM

I'd highly recommend having a look at the apartments in Rome that Roman Reference have.

romanreference.com