Search

Rome/Italy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome/Italy

I am looking for suggestions for a good place to stay in Rome and Naples, close to the attractions and in the $100-150US range.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 04:21 PM

I suggest you use the search button.
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 04:47 PM
rex

Not a very helpful reply, huh? They're getting harder to find - - and ones with good reputations in that range - - like Smeraldo for example - - have been coming back with some rather unfavorable ratings lately.<BR><BR>I think there's a &quot;better&quot; choice named Pensione Panda (or something like that- - that's somethnig you could search here for, at least). Try www.venere.com and Fodors rants'n'raves<BR><BR>Maybe eurocheapo.com or sleepinitaly.com<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 07:12 PM

I was able to find a lot of info at www.venere.com . I booked myself at www.hotelsancarloroma.com . Great location and prices 160.00 and up.. Good luck..
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 07:28 PM

Boromir, when I go to Rome I usually stay at the Hotel Parlamento..Frommers highly recommend it.The location is great, just off Via del Corso, short distance from Trevi, Pantheon, Piazza venezia etc..,their wbb is Hotel [email protected],<BR>
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 12:34 PM

Boromir,<BR>This year we'll be staying at the Pantheon View B&amp;B which got a good recommendation on this site. It is close to the Pantheon (has a view) and the rooms look pretty nice from the photos on the website. The cost runs from 104-130 euros per night and includes taxes and breakfast. Most of the rooms have a small balcony. The reservation site is at RomeBy.com<BR>Hope this helps! Lisa
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 12:41 PM

Actually the search button is a very helpful suggestion. There's a lot of info on hotels in Rome in recent posts that could help boromir. Of course, any additional info posted here would also be helpful.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:43 PM

Actually Rex, my reply was more helpful than the 5 lines you wrote. Using the search button to search for Rome hotels will reveal way more information than what you wrote. This is in no way a slam on your advice.<BR><BR>People who refuse to do a search before asking such a basic question are rather lazy. Now if the poster has asked a more specific question or opinions on information he/she gathered, we'll that's a different story.<BR><BR>I say my suggestion was very helpful, as this question has been answered many many times.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 03:01 PM
rex

I guess I will respectfully disagree, MarkY - - a newcomer here is likely to be further frystrated without your offering some very specific advice on how to select threads on Rome hotels at this low end of the price scale.<BR><BR>I think that lazy seems condescending, when someone is simply uninformed as to how to start.<BR><BR>But perhaps my labeling your reply as &quot;not very helpful&quot; was condescending also, and at the least not respectful of different ways of solcing the problem. I apologize for that. My first post would have been just as useful without commenting on yours.<BR><BR>I appreciated your saying that you did not intend a slam. Put this thread back on a higher road.<BR>
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 05:58 PM

I agree with Rex. And, Mark, it is not what you say, but how you say it. People get excited about their trips, they might be new to the site and they just post a question without even realizing the features of the site.<BR><BR>If you don't like it, you don't have to reply. Or, if you do take the time to reply, is it so much harder to put a &quot;please&quot; in there?<BR><BR>Isn't the goal here to help each other?<BR><BR>Anyway, I Boromir, I have stayed at the Hotel Parlamento also, and enjoyed it. Good location and good prices.<BR><BR>Have a great time!
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 07:26 PM

I have to admit I clicked on this thread more to share in the answers that boromir given (tinkering with ideas for my own trip) than to add anything myself, but the tangent it took did make me think.<BR><BR>I understand the search function just fine, and I think it's useful.<BR><BR>But with the wealth of great information that seems to have been logged already related to hotels to transportation and weather to cultural practices on just about every city of practical interest already, I have a question - being the newbie that I am.<BR><BR>I agree that the search makes sense first really, but if you can answer pretty much every question now with &quot;do a search&quot;, and I am seeing that a LOT the last few days, why run a message board? If the database is essentially finished, are you saying is that all that's really needed now is a couple of experts to really hone in on where to find the best sauce on the lower east side of Glotznik if it's after 10pm on a Tuesday?
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 10:01 PM

<BR>We stayed at the Hotel Morgana by the Termini 1 nite for about $110. It was OK - but not a great location.<BR><BR>Then we moved to the Palio Bianco Spanish Steps for $125 / nite (this was December, 2002). It was a great location right next to the Spanish Steps. The only problem is that this area is crowded, and can be loud (people hang on the Steps till all hours). As it was December, we had our windows closed, but in the summer it might be a problem. The rooms were air conditioned.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 11:57 PM

It might be well to remember that sometimes the search function does not work. For some reason the key words may not grab the information wanted.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

I didn't think that I would create such a fuss! I assumed that, based on peoples experiences, that they would have some recommendations. Afterall, this is what this forum is all about. I am certain that I would be more than willing to help someone after our trip. I went to venere and I must say, although helpful, it is still overwhelming on the number of choices. Which is why I come back to this site. Granted $150 is a little on the hopeful side and maybe $200 is more realistic. I also noticed a lot of B&amp;Bs and I dread asking for some recommendations on this matter. I will keep checking back here however. Thank you to those who have helped me in my endeavour!
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Oh, and one other. Lazy I am not. I am coordinating this trip that departs from the west coast Canada, with stopovers at London UK, Athens, Santorini, Rome, Naples, and then return via Athens, London and then finally to Canada. I have made all the travel arrangements (flight, ferry) and hotel bookings for all destinations but Rome. These were mainly through internet searches and reading postings such as this. Guess I ran out of gas when I got to Rome.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 03:57 PM

boromir: I stayed at the Pantheon View B&amp;B in 2001 and it was just great, large, clean and the location was just the best. I believe only two of the rooms have balconies. Room 1 is the best. They really book up fast tho.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 02:53 AM

boromir--no one was trying to get you upset. The suggestion to use the search button is a good one, as is asking for new suggestions like you did. It doesn't reflect on you that rex got a bit huffy with MarkY. These sorts of misunderstandings are common in internet communications--it's difficult to ensure that everything one writes will be taken exactly the way you intended it by everyone who could possibly read it and misinterpret it.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 10:23 AM

&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;<BR><BR>“Rome Budget Hotel Help - H. Genio, H. San Pantaleo”<BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&amp;tid=34402106<BR><BR>“Rome Hotes - Budget - any suggestions”<BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&amp;tid=34403693<BR><BR>“Do you know any of these Rome hotels?”<BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&amp;tid=34400061<BR><BR>
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 11:52 AM

This may or may not be relevant, depending on when you are traveling, but I don't believe the Pantheon View B&amp;B has a/c. Otherwise, it seems lovely.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 12:39 PM

My family and I have stayed at the Pension Panda, Smeraldo, and the Pantheon B&amp;B. Only Smeraldo has AC. We had a very bad experience at the Pantheon B&amp;B and would never go back there given the number of options in that price range. The Panda was very nice, clean, and the cheapest option. Smeraldo was run down a bit and not a nice but the location is wonderful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -