Rome - Inexpensive hotel - Piazza Navona/Pantheon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom and I are thinking of going to Rome at the beginning of October - IF we can find a suitable/inexpensive hotel room. I really love the Hotel Ponte Sisto (310E), Albergo Santa Chiara - no price yet, or Albergo Del Senato (265E - 295E), but they are out of my price range.
I'd like to spend no more than 150E/night. But, I want great location, clean, nice, comfortable, cozy hotel. No cats.
Or if you can tell me how to get the above hotels discounted, I'd really appreciate it!
TIA
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 06:35 AM

Santa Chiara will be about 200E. It is in a great location and a very nice hotel. Rome is an expensive city and you may be disappointed with what seems like a great deal. Last summer I stayed at a B&B that was a great deal, looked great on line and was so horrible. We left after 1 day. We changed to Santa Chiara and LOVED it. Good luck
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 06:51 AM

I agree w/panucci about what a great hotel the Santa Chiara is. Wonderful location and civilized, low-key atmosphere. Each time we retuned from the heat and activity of the streets of Rome, it was like stepping into an oasis of cool and calm--the perfect place to recharge and refresh to go back out to the bustle and excitement of all the great places that are but a very short walk from the hotel. When we stayed there--May 2000--a room was 200 dollars, alas it is now 200 euros which b/c of the terrible exchange rate makes it much more expensive!!
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 07:09 AM

Here are some well researched and reviewed.
All less than 150 Euro.

http://www.eurocheapo.com/rome/listings/navona.asp
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 07:23 AM

Wanda, I'm going to stay at Hotel Locarno in the beggining at October and had rates at 150euro for double room.
It's my first time there, but I read good reviews.
Dudi
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 08:13 AM

Hubby and I stayed at Hotel Arenula in April-May this year, which is near where you want to be--walking distance from Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Colosseum, Trastevere. It was about 120E/night double, but they charge extra for AC (which we didn't use in early May and you wouldn't need in October). You can check them out at their website--we found them in Frommer's latest Italy guidebook. The Arenula was clean, comfortable, with a fabulous breakfast. Some caveats--our room was small, and the paint could have used a touchup, but since we spend hardly any time in the room, who cares? Also, there's no elevator, and this is a five-story hotel. We got a first-floor room (2nd floor in US terms). But we'd stay there again, as it was clean, the staff was helpful, it was convenient--and again, the breakfast was generous with great latte.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 08:33 AM

Wanda,

Try the Albergo Abruzzi (look on eurocheap.com (under Rome))...I faxed them, and for doing so (and am going in August) he offered me a room with all amenities at 80 euros, which is down from 155 euros. They might offer you a cheaper room even, if you are going in low season.

Hope this helps!
Patricia
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 08:36 AM

Wanda,

That is eurocheapo.com (sorry)

Patricia
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 09:09 AM

If you don't mind apartments instead of hotels take a look at www.romeaparthotels.com, they have some nice properties in great locations. There's usually a 3 night minimum though ...
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 09:57 AM

Hi!
I'd definetly go for Hotel Campo dei Fiori. Excellent location at the corner of the square, marvellous sights from the top floor balcony. Steep stairs between floors, though. Small, but very, very charming.
The hotel also have several small apartments for rent very close by. Three years ago we rented one of them. Really magnificent! 2 floors, with kitchen, sleeping-room and two small living rooms in the one floor and bathroom and a huge roof balcony on the upper. We really felt like Italian, listening (and also looking into) to all the neighbourhood's family matters throughout the evenings, and breakfast at the hotel was included in the price, which at that time was similar to 1100 norwegian crowns, i.e. some 100Euros or thereabout.
I wish you a marvellous Italy stay

Bjorn, Oslo Norway
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 10:41 AM

I am staying at the Hotel Pomezia in Oct., via Chiavari 12, which is in the Campo di Fiori area, 100 E. I found it through Venere.com - just choose Roma, 2*, Piazza Navona area and it will come up. The url is pretty long. I have never stayed here before, but as we only need it for one night, I thought it would be fine. The area and the price is certainly right.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 11:43 AM
aj

Wanda,

We stayed at Residenza San Pantaleo (residenzasanpantaleo.com) in May. The location was great just of Piazza Novona. The price was great and the room clean. I believe we paid 80 euros for a double. The hotel staff was very helpful. Please check out their web site for more information.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 11:50 AM

I absolutely agree with PatriciaV2. My family and I have stayed at Hotel Abruzzi two years in a row. The location is fantastic, the hotel is very, very clean. Room rates include breakfast vouchers to be used for a nice breakfast at a bar in Pza. della Rotunda and is directly across the Piazza from the hotel. Sr. Tony is the General Manager and he is delightful. Email your request. If your reply is signed by a Sr. Bennedetto and you are not pleased with the rate quoted, give the hotel a call and ask for Sr. Tony to see if he can do a little better for you. He is so friendly and loves to fill his hotel. I will list his email address as soon as I find it. Mind that there is one flight of stairs to climb before you reach the elevator. Just thought I would mention that in case your mother might have trouble with stairs.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 11:55 AM

Hotel Abruzzi website is www.hotelabruzzi.it the telephone number is 011-391-06-97.84.13.51
and the fax is 011-391-06-69.78.80.76.
The 011-391 is assuming you are calling from the US.
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 11:52 AM

Just to let you know...Somebody posted that the Pantheon will be under construction this summer...I will try to find out where I saw this and get back...(it's a current thread)

Patricia
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 12:08 PM

Wanda, we booked the Hotel Ponte Sisto this past June at Reservation Italy's website and paid only Eur 180/ nt - great deal. You have to pay the first night's deposit up front, though. Good luck!
Old Jul 23rd, 2004, 02:45 PM
Melissajoy

Hi, wow, you should look at someone else's posting, called "Pantheon Restoration..Need different Hotel". I just posted on her question the answer you are also seeking...a classy 4-star hotel with a great location is the Hotel Nazionale a Montecitorio on Piazza Montecitorio. If you look at what I posted on her question you'll see more info on this hotel. We paid 238 euros in June for a nice double room, with a nice filling buffet breakfast, and the location was very exciting...walking distance to Piazza Navona, Trevi fountain, spanish steps, the Pantheon, and a little further but very walkable to the colosseum and the roman forum...near tons of ristorantes and Giolitti's for gelato...oh my gosh, my husband and I and my 22-year-old son and teenage daughters just had the most fun in this part of Rome!

Web-site is www.nazionaleroma.it A double room is much cheaper than a triple...We paid 238 for a very nice double room with a nice bathroom, but the triple was a lot more because they only had deluxe triples left...

Your Mom would enjoy this location as you can walk, day or night, safely to so many nice places all around you. I asked for a room that is quiet at night for sleeping and was very pleased with our room, even had a view of the relatively quiet Piazza Montecitorio and a view of the national parliament.

As you can tell Rome calls me back...sigh...

Old Aug 6th, 2004, 04:15 PM

Bjorn:

I can't find any information on the Hotel Campo dei Fiori. Do you have a web address or fax # for them?
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 08:39 AM

Here's the Web site:

http://www.hotelcampodefiori.com

(Most people don't realize that the final "i" in "dei" is dropped in the name Campo de Fiori...)
Old Aug 7th, 2004, 10:46 AM

Hi: I've stayed at both of the hotels Pomezia and Campo de Fiori. The first was cheaper and the second nicer. They are within shouting distance of each other. The breakfast at the hotel Pomezia was better. I would pay the extra to stay at the Hotel Campo de Fiori if it is available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -